TForce | 10 minute breaks? Anyone at ups freight

That looks like a more detailed version.

In regards to City drivers:
I remember seeing a shortened version, talking about the 10 minute breaks and making sure we punch out for lunches on our DIADS.
Looks like the correct wording for the break schedule.

Apparently there was a big lawsuit out here on the west coast that included some UPS Freight drivers out of California, so they sent out that PCM to make sure that we take our lunches and breaks at the right time.

Apparently there was a big lawsuit out here on the west coast that included some UPS Freight drivers out of California, so they sent out that PCM to make sure that we take our lunches and breaks at the right time.

Very interesting.
As you can see not every terminal is on the same page with these established break and lunch times.

Long Island New York

We here on Long Island at the Farmingdale Terminal get 2 15 min brakes and 1/2 hours lunch and this is in our contract.

For road drivers

As for as road drivers go. The manafest states on the bottom we are allowed to take 15 minutes off for each 1 hour we drive not to exceed 1 hour at a time.

Each state is different in their Labor Laws.

The state of Kentuckys says two 10 minute breaks during an eight hour day. The lunch period is to be taken between the 3rd & the 5th hour.

If yall had a contract in Omaha you wouldn't have that problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Same for Wichita, KS and Savannah, GA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, so I see 3 breaks of 10 minutes paid , and 1, 30 minute lunch unpaid, correct? And what exactly is a "second paid period" ?

Second paid period is your second paid break.

You must take your third 10 minute paid rest period no later than 3 hours after your second paid period.

This is the one I have:
It's similar to what sppollock posted.

Prework Communications Meeting (PCM)
Today's Date: February 24, 2009
For use by: The week ending February 28
Audience: West Region hourly and mileage-paid employees (Excluding WI.)

Subject: Off-the-Clock Work/Meal and Rest Periods

Introduction:
UPS Freight does not encourage or permit unpaid work. The purpose of this PCM is to
remind all hourly and mileage-paid employees of UPS Freight's policies on off-the-clock
work and to review requirements regarding meal periods.

Key Messages

Paid Work:

As we have said before, you should never perform any work before your start time or
after clocking out, unless a manager or supervisor specifically instructs you to do so.
If so instructed, You should clock in and you will be paid for your work.

Meal Periods:

• Meal periods are required; UPS Freight policy requires that all full-time employees
    take at least a 30 minute, uninterrupted meal period each and every day.
  • Your meal period cannot begin earlier than three hours or later than six hours after
    you clock in.
  • You may not skip any portion of your meal period.
  • The occasional situation where hourly and mileage-paid employees ask permission
    to skip a meal period and leave work early at the end of the workday is Not Allowed.
  • If you feel that you cannot perform your duties and need to take your meal period,
    you must advise your manager of the problem and get instructions on what to do.
  • No work during meal periods; You may not perform work during meal periods,
    including activities such as moving freight, sending electronic messages or calling
    the service center or dispatch.

Accurately Recording Meal Periods:

• Road Employees must record all periods and meal times on their DOT Logs. The
    service center management team is responsible for auditing those logs.
  • City Employees must record the start and finish times of their meal period by either
    clocking out and in if they are in the facility, or by recording their meal period in the DIAD.
  • Other Hourly Employees must accurately record the exact times they start and
    finish their meal periods by clocking out when they begin a meal period, and clocking
    back in when they have completed a meal period.

Rest Periods:

Timing of rest periods - employees have the right to take certain paid rest periods.
Rest periods should be taken as follows:

• A 10-minute paid rest period during the first half of your third hour
  • A second 10-minute paid rest period during the first half of the seventh hour
  • A third 10-minute paid rest period to be taken no later than three hours after you
  • complete your second paid period.

You are authorized and permitted to take each of the rest periods discussed. If you feel
that you cannot perform your duties and take your required rest periods, you must call
management to advise us of the problem and get instructions on what to do. If you do
not contact us, we will assume that you had the opportunity to take a rest period. Hourly
employees are paid at their regular hourly rates during their rest periods. Payment for
rest periods for mileage-based employees is included in their mileage rate.

No work during rest periods - as with meal periods, you may not perform any work
during your rest periods.

Notifying the Center:

You must notify management as soon as possible if:
  • For any reason you do not take all required meal or rest periods.
  • You perform any work during your meal or rest period.
  • You work before your scheduled start time.
  • You work after signing off the DIAD or clocking out at the end
    of the day.

Conclusion:

Being paid for all the time you work and taking all required meal and rest periods are
required by UPS Freight policy. Please follow all procedures as outlined.

That is the first page of what I posted. I just posted the second page because that is where the 10 minute break issue was at.

I was going to ask if you wanted me to post the first page, but it looks like I dont need to. This is basicly the first page of our memo. As you notice, on the top of yours it was directed towards the west region.

I was going to ask if you wanted me to post the first page, but it looks like I dont need to. This is basicly the first page of our memo. As you notice, on the top of yours it was directed towards the west region.

Thank you for posting your info sppollock! :thumbsup:
I wonder if each region had different wording.
I also wonder why they excluded Wisconsin in the PCM I posted.

In Dallas and Garland we get a 10 min break once we have been on duty a minimum of 3 hrs, we take our lunches between the 3-6 hr at drivers discretion and after the 6th hr we get another 10 min break! If we work ot at the 8th hr we our entitled to another 10 min break, if the dispatcher tells a driver do not take lunch and get pick up made or gives him or her something to do, then it is up to the dispatcher to inform the driver to take lunch and if the dispatcher forgets to inform the driver to take luch after the drivers 6th hr the driver is not compelled to take lunch and our stewards per the local makes management give the driver back the 30 min lunch! God bless the Teamsters Union, we are making progress all around the country just wait its getting better by the second!

Thank you for posting your info sppollock! :thumbsup:
I wonder if each region had different wording.
I also wonder why they excluded Wisconsin in the PCM I posted.

Wisconsin may have there own state laws that make this PCM seem tame. I know the main reason they sent this out to our region was the lawsuit in California, and they have started to enforce our lunches, including verbal warnings all the way to termination if we do not take our lunches on time.

This is the one I have:
It's similar to what sppollock posted.

Prework Communications Meeting (PCM)
Today's Date: February 24, 2009
For use by: The week ending February 28
Audience: West Region hourly and mileage-paid employees (Excluding WI.)

Subject: Off-the-Clock Work/Meal and Rest Periods

Introduction:
UPS Freight does not encourage or permit unpaid work. The purpose of this PCM is to
remind all hourly and mileage-paid employees of UPS Freight's policies on off-the-clock
work and to review requirements regarding meal periods.

Key Messages

Paid Work:

As we have said before, you should never perform any work before your start time or
after clocking out, unless a manager or supervisor specifically instructs you to do so.
If so instructed, You should clock in and you will be paid for your work.

Meal Periods:

• Meal periods are required; UPS Freight policy requires that all full-time employees
    take at least a 30 minute, uninterrupted meal period each and every day.
  • Your meal period cannot begin earlier than three hours or later than six hours after
    you clock in.
  • You may not skip any portion of your meal period.
  • The occasional situation where hourly and mileage-paid employees ask permission
    to skip a meal period and leave work early at the end of the workday is Not Allowed.
  • If you feel that you cannot perform your duties and need to take your meal period,
    you must advise your manager of the problem and get instructions on what to do.
  • No work during meal periods; You may not perform work during meal periods,
    including activities such as moving freight, sending electronic messages or calling
    the service center or dispatch.
Accurately Recording Meal Periods:

• Road Employees must record all periods and meal times on their DOT Logs. The
    service center management team is responsible for auditing those logs.
  • City Employees must record the start and finish times of their meal period by either
    clocking out and in if they are in the facility, or by recording their meal period in the DIAD.
  • Other Hourly Employees must accurately record the exact times they start and
    finish their meal periods by clocking out when they begin a meal period, and clocking
    back in when they have completed a meal period.
Rest Periods:

Timing of rest periods - employees have the right to take certain paid rest periods.
Rest periods should be taken as follows:

• A 10-minute paid rest period during the first half of your third hour
  • A second 10-minute paid rest period during the first half of the seventh hour
  • A third 10-minute paid rest period to be taken no later than three hours after you
  • complete your second paid period.

You are authorized and permitted to take each of the rest periods discussed. If you feel
that you cannot perform your duties and take your required rest periods, you must call
management to advise us of the problem and get instructions on what to do. If you do
not contact us, we will assume that you had the opportunity to take a rest period. Hourly
employees are paid at their regular hourly rates during their rest periods. Payment for
rest periods for mileage-based employees is included in their mileage rate.

No work during rest periods - as with meal periods, you may not perform any work
during your rest periods.

Notifying the Center:

You must notify management as soon as possible if:
  • For any reason you do not take all required meal or rest periods.
  • You perform any work during your meal or rest period.
  • You work before your scheduled start time.
  • You work after signing off the DIAD or clocking out at the end
    of the day.
Conclusion:

Being paid for all the time you work and taking all required meal and rest periods are
required by UPS Freight policy. Please follow all procedures as outlined.

I can understand everything here except the third 10 minute break and how it applies. And this is what I condure up.

1.A 10-minute paid rest period during the first half of your third hour. ( first 10 minute break of the day, I start at 8AM, @ 11AM I take my 10)

2. LUNCH 30 minutes between my 3rd and 6th hour. ( so now I take lunch between 11 AM and 2PM).

3.A second 10-minute paid rest period during the first half of the seventh hour. ( 3PM here I come).

Now if I gather this correctly, the referance to the third break is anything over 8 hrs. of accumulated time? This is the only time I can see this applying. Otherwise we get more break then work in 8 hrs.

I can understand everything here except the third 10 minute break and how it applies. And this is what I condure up.

1.A 10-minute paid rest period during the first half of your third hour. ( first 10 minute break of the day, I start at 8AM, @ 11AM I take my 10)

2. LUNCH 30 minutes between my 3rd and 6th hour. ( so now I take lunch between 11 AM and 2PM).

3.A second 10-minute paid rest period during the first half of the seventh hour. ( 3PM here I come).

Now if I gather this correctly, the referance to the third break is anything over 8 hrs. of accumulated time? This is the only time I can see this applying. Otherwise we get more break then work in 8 hrs.

Not necessarily. But if you spaced out your third break it would be after 8 hours. It depends on what you got going on. Some drivers doing the 8 and skate routine would probably take the third one right away or not take it at all.

You would be taking that third break any time after your second break but no later than three hours after it.

If you took the second break at 3:00 you have until 6:00 pm to take the third one.

UPS wants us properly rested.:clap: So we don't go boom.:TR10driving03:

I just gave myself a headache.

Not necessarily. But if you spaced out your third break it would be after 8 hours. It depends on what you got going on. Some drivers doing the 8 and skate routine would probably take the third one right away or not take it at all.

You would be taking that third break any time after your second break but no later than three hours after it.

If you took the second break at 3:00 you have until 6:00 pm to take the third one.

UPS wants us properly rested.:clap: So we don't go boom.:TR10driving03:

I just gave myself a headache.

This is my point and requires justification by the hall, to a casual 1 , 10 for a 4 hr. period should prevail, in our circumstances as fulltime with an 8 hr. day, 2 10's and a 30 minute seems to be overkill in my book, in a peddle, but now adding a third, how productive must we be in 8 hrs? . I am not sure about you, but in a peddle 1 hr. is the equivelent in some cases to 4-6 stops.

I can live with the 2 ,10's and the 30 in 8 hrs. considering this is all fulltime does for worked hrs. in my terminal. I think a third would apply after 10 hrs. is reasonable.

seems that the three( paid )10 min breaks are separate from our 30min off the clock lunch.could we get a few hands up to who takes these breaks and who doesn't.my barn sure doesn't and it ain't because we company boys!