XPO | 5%

We might be busy, but I'll bet our profit isn't as high as you think. I've seen a lot of dr's with substantial discounts.

Good post....everyone forgets the primary reason for the takeaways...we are acting as our own bank...period, nothing more...yes, we are making money, but remember that 75% of our profits are a direct result of the takeaways..We have a debt maturity due in a year, and once that passes, we have nothing pressing for another 9 years...Things are looking up and I am hopeful for our company...I didn't feel that way 3 months ago...I am still surprised by the surge in freight levels the past 4-5 weeks..

Good post....everyone forgets the primary reason for the takeaways...we are acting as our own bank...period, nothing more...yes, we are making money, but remember that 75% of our profits are a direct result of the takeaways..We have a debt maturity due in a year, and once that passes, we have nothing pressing for another 9 years...Things are looking up and I am hopeful for our company...I didn't feel that way 3 months ago...I am still surprised by the surge in freight levels the past 4-5 weeks..
Yeah...I remember how ridicules some of us were. We actually thought that Conway was using YRC's struggles as an opportunity to systematically reduce employee compensation. A few even predicted those actions and the subsequent rebound. What fools we were when we could have been sipping fine blue cocktails and listening to the company line!

I'm a loser baby,
so why don't you kill me?

High volume of freight...

I wonder if well get our 5% back since were so busy.Conway is sure making a profit now.

Being busy and making money don't always mean the same thing.

If the discounts and FAK's are too high you're hauling it for free.

Yeah...I remember how ridicules some of us were. We actually thought that Conway was using YRC's struggles as an opportunity to systematically reduce employee compensation. A few even predicted those actions and the subsequent rebound. What fools we were when we could have been sipping fine blue cocktails and listening to the company line!

I'm a loser baby,
so why don't you kill me?

there are many that know better and don't see the moves as a personal attack on them by the company...and it had nothing to do with YRC's struggles...it had everything to do with Con-way's struggles...

Even with the take aways, we could be alot worse off, look around you at some of the other LTL companies,You know who Im talking about, I wouldnt want all that gloom and doom every monday morning.

there are many that know better and don't see the moves as a personal attack on them by the company...and it had nothing to do with YRC's struggles...it had everything to do with Con-way's struggles...

No, there are many that believe what the company is telling them. Most of those can't fathom that our good leaders are ever capable of telling a mis-truth.

Or perhaps you might suggest our leaders are not smart enough to take advantage of YRC's unfortunate struggles any way they can.

No, there are many that believe what the company is telling them. Most of those can't fathom that our good leaders are ever capable of telling a miss truth.

Or perhaps you might suggest our leaders are not smart enough to take advantage of YRC's unfortunate struggles any way they can.

This is a publicly traded Company. If our "good leaders" were lying to us we would be able to see it. Too many of us are just out trying to find reasons to hate the suits. Maybe, just maybe these guys are actually trying to keep ups afloat and not just take your 5%. I think everyone needs to look at the big picture here, not just their paycheck. I want my 5% back just as bad as the rest of you. But i also understand why it was taken. Bitter pill to swallow, but it still needed to be swallowed.

This is a publicly traded Company. If our "good leaders" were lying to us we would be able to see it. Too many of us are just out trying to find reasons to hate the suits. Maybe, just maybe these guys are actually trying to keep ups afloat and not just take your 5%. I think everyone needs to look at the big picture here, not just their paycheck. I want my 5% back just as bad as the rest of you. But i also understand why it was taken. Bitter pill to swallow, but it still needed to be swallowed.
Maybe you can tell all of us that are concerned about the Company lying to us about our Company funded pension that was offered/promised to us when we hired on years ago and then, POOF, it's gone. Just like that! That was much more than a bitter pill. Zero integrity!

Guess I have seen lies in the past where there have been none, so I should still trust Conway as I once did ........You win. I need to live the dream.

And there is no doubt in my mind that they are trying to keep this thing afloat.....and profitable. That is their job and nobody can blame them for trying to make as much personal dough as they can - while they can.

I trust no-one but myself when it comes to my future. But I have done some pretty stupid things in the past so I'm not that trust worthy either. But when Con-way stops being one of the best if not the best driving jobs around (speaking of me and my neck of the woods here), then I'll leave and go to the better company, till then I'll continue to save and invest I'm my future and try to retire early on my savings/rental property (I have a dream of being a slumlord). But if any of the key personnel happen to read this I have some advise.... pay and reward your people what their worth not the market average. The market average is going out of business, partly due to their drivers sense of entitlement and inability to be flexible. You don't have that problem... for the most part. Present company excluded of coarse.

No, there are many that believe what the company is telling them. Most of those can't fathom that our good leaders are ever capable of telling a mis-truth.

Sorry, not buying...you and I are not from opposite ends of the spectrum, we just view the glass differently..Hopefully we have been through the worst of this, and maybe 10 years down the road we will look back and remember when we thought it might be the end..Wishing all the best to everyone going forward..

But when Con-way stops being one of the best if not the best driving jobs around (speaking of me and my neck of the woods here), then I'll leave and go to the better company

I had to quote this.

I have not been here as long as most of you so I can give you a different perspective on this place than most see. I drove OTR at a good company (as the industry goes) till I started here. I started at Con-way in Feb of 2004.

Let me first say I have a lot of respect for those who have been here since the beginning. Working at the Pa terminals, I have had the opportunity to work with a lot of 85, 86, and 87 start drivers. There is no comparison between what Con-way offers as compensation and what any OTR or mom and pop outfit offers as compensation. I have already made more than many, if not most, OTR drivers will make this year and it is mid June.

I fully understand the frustration of those early drivers who were "promised" things that they will no longer get. I was not here so I do not know what all was "promised" in those days. I only put the quotes around it because I was not here in those days (I was in 1st grade in 1986). You are a great group of guy's. All of you have always helped me out when I needed help around here.

All that said, take a look around. I just found out my former company is now charging drivers cash for over-idle, TMC cut EZ Pass and drivers get taxed on the reimbursement, Werner cut pay to .25-.27 per mile, YRC is loosing its ***, my O/O buddies are parking trucks (big nice ones), and the economy is in pieces.

I was as pissed as everyone when I got cut from .555 to .527 because we should be at .565 right now. I did not loose the pension or higher 401 match so I cannot speak on that. That said, I'm glad I work here. Mine, and your job is as safe as anyones in this industry right now.

I'm the first to give credit where it is due and I give credit to our sales and ops teams right now. New runs, cut transit times, and market share. Good job. Believe it or not, they listened to a few truck drivers and we have a new FAC run that is paying huge dividends now.

Sorry, not buying...you and I are not from opposite ends of the spectrum, we just view the glass differently..Hopefully we have been through the worst of this, and maybe 10 years down the road we will look back and remember when we thought it might be the end..Wishing all the best to everyone going forward..

I and many never thought we were heading for the end any time soon. I stated as such several times that things would improve soon.

As far as not buying it? - One day, you will. - Let me know when it happens....... Of course the way you publicly build up John the Next Messiah, you are assured a piece of the pie. Yup, I gotta think John the Next Messiah likes your work here at Truckingboards.com.....So maybe you will come out of this whole thing feeling how great and pure Conway is with your earned perspective and potentially generous rewards.

In ten years when we drivers will be making less, we will still be "living the dream". Our claims, miss-routed freight, morale, and the need for even more supervision will continue to be significant issues. Most will still lack trust and confidence in our good leadership. And our "leaders" names will not have changed but how can you blame them? How many here would release their clutches on such a rewarding cash cow if you were in their shoes?

I and many never thought we were heading for the end any time soon. I stated as such several times that things would improve soon.

As far as not buying it? - One day, you will. - Let me know when it happens....... Of course the way you publicly build up John the Next Messiah, you are assured a piece of the pie. Yup, I gotta think John the Next Messiah likes your work here at Truckingboards.com.....So maybe you will come out of this whole thing feeling how great and pure Conway is with your earned perspective and potentially generous rewards.

In ten years when we drivers will be making less, we will still be "living the dream". Our claims, miss-routed freight, morale, and the need for even more supervision will continue to be significant issues. Most will still lack trust and confidence in our good leadership. And our "leaders" names will not have changed but how can you blame them? How many here would release their clutches on such a rewarding cash cow if you were in their shoes?

You don't have a clue...piece of what pie..?? You think I am any different than you..?? I work for my pie just like you do...when you succeed, I succeed...This is a public forum, nothing else, a place for people to go and talk..There is no monetary incentive to be here..
I have reached the point where I only feel bad for you, living in that little world where everything and everyone is out to get you and destroy you..It must be very very hard to get out of bed everyday and live like that...
That's the part I refuse to buy into, because life is way way too short..

You don't have a clue...piece of what pie..?? You think I am any different than you..?? I work for my pie just like you do...when you succeed, I succeed...This is a public forum, nothing else, a place for people to go and talk..There is no monetary incentive to be here..
I have reached the point where I only feel bad for you, living in that little world where everything and everyone is out to get you and destroy you..It must be very very hard to get out of bed everyday and live like that...
That's the part I refuse to buy into, because life is way way too short..

You still need to resort to personal and denigrating attacks and so I react? You really do not want me to go there. I have demonstrated restraint but am very willing to rip your blind faith and mindless loyalty in a corporate power to shreds.

There is no doubt your participation here is not out of a personal desire or need to service those that you feel benevolent towards. Your agenda is screaming a need to benefit your superiors and it certainly demonstrates to our leaders your superior communication and manipulation skills. Yet, am confident you sleep well at night.

Are you ready to rumble or do you want to keep this civil???

Please explain why life is too short to accurately see something for what it is.....

You still need to resort to personal and denigrating attacks and so I react? You really do not want me to go there. I have demonstrated restraint but am very willing to rip your blind faith and mindless loyalty in a corporate power to shreds.

There is no doubt your participation here is not out of a personal desire or need to service those that you feel benevolent towards. Your agenda is screaming a need to benefit your superiors and it certainly demonstrates to our leaders your superior communication and manipulation skills. Yet, am confident you sleep well at night.

Are you ready to rumble or do you want to keep this civil???

Please explain why life is too short to accurately see something for what it is.....

Seems to me the kettle and the pot are of the same color.

Rat

Just remember guys we all work for the same Company and are all hoping for the same results. Profit and our 5% back. I have said this before, and i'll say it again. Look back at all Con Way has taken over the last 5 years, and try and figure out how much money we would be making right now if they took nothing but kept giving. Right now we would all be on the soup line because the profit would be non existent a long time ago and we would be out of money. Most companies today are getting away from pensions, even the big u's are realizing that the pension cannot be funded anymore. I think trusting someone else to make sure you have money in retirement is crazy!!!!! Look at all the GM employees that are about to have nothing because they all thought they would have a great pension?? Where's that pension now? They should have been saving on their own, but didn't! Either way, i want my 5% back and through added business we're going to get it? Maybe, but if not, i'm still a Con Way employee and will still love my job!