XPO | 60/70 hour rule

Dodge Ram

TB Veteran
Credits
Can a company split the amount of drivers that run a 60 hour week and others run a 70 hour week? I other words where I work Con-Way out west and in the south run 70 hours in 8 days. With the restart they actually work 70 hours in 5 days. In the area east of the Mississippi we run a 60 hour in 7 day, which is actually in 5 days. Being one whole company don\'t Con-Way have to follow either the 60 or 70 hour rule? Or can they do both? To me and a lot of our other drivers I know, 60 hours in 5 days is plenty and 70 hours in 5 days is just too much to ask. Thank you, I am looking forward to recieving your reply,
You’ll find the answer to your question in the following FMCSA guidance - Question #1 for §395.3 Maximum Driving and On-duty Time.

Question 1: May a motor carrier switch from a 60-hour/7-day limit to a 70-hour/8-day limit or vice versa?

Guidance: Yes. The only restriction regarding the use of the 70- hour/8-day rule is that the motor carrier must have CMVs operating every day of the week. The 70-hour/8-day rule is a permissive provision in that a motor carrier with vehicles operating every day of the week is not required to use the 70-hour/8-day rules for calculating its drivers' hours of service. The motor carrier may, however, assign some or all of its drivers to operate under the 70-hour/8-day rule if it so chooses.

The assignment of individual drivers to the 60-hour/7- day or the 70-hour/8-day time rule is left to the discretion of the motor carrier.

What kind of logbook do southern & western use?

I know central uses a noon to noon, I was wondering if they used a midnight to midnight ( & that could possibly show more days working).

here's the law. for A company to use a 70hr/8 day log they must run on sundays. that is why con-way by law should only use a 60hr. /7 day log. get on the federal motorcarrier web site etc... and look it up. it doesn't matter if its noon 2 noon or midnight 2 midnight log there are still only 24 hrs. in a day. if the company has drivers that work 7 days a week then yes they can use a 70/8 log. currently sunday is not a normal business day for us hence the 60/7 logs. but hang on you never know when Miller or some other wonderfully talented exec. will get yet another money saving idea to "help" the con'way family and push the stock to a new record low.

Open On Sundays

I Think If You Look It Up , All A Company Has To Do Is Be Open 7 Days A Week , Even If It Is Open 1 Hour .. And I Believe South Boys Have A Sunday- Thursday Bid For L/h And Monday-friday ..there Smart Boys Up In The Oval Office They Know The Rules , But They Not On Keeping People Happy. Its All About The Stockholders ..hammerdown

its simple, my company uses a 70 hour log but obviously if you are a city driver and you are off every weekend you can only do 60 hours. the rule is 60 hours in 7 days and 70 in 8 days

My driver clocks in at 7:45 p.m., out by 8:15-8:30 p.m.(usually). Back the next day around 9:00 a.m. He runs 14 hours every night, Mon-Friday (of course it's 2 hours late on Friday night so his in the terminal 2 hours later on Saturday). I'll check to see if he uses 12midnight to midnight.

Haven't heard of any personally. I know my driver refuses to go a minute past what he's suppose to do. He'll call in and take a nap while waiting. Then come home to aggravate me because he's rested and refreshed. :chairshot::biglaugh:

Heard a rumor that drivers are going over 70 to cover runs. Hope it's not true.

Southern is Daytime L/H on midnight to midnight, Night L/H noon to noon. Haven't heard of anyone at our barn going over 70 for any reason. Major no no. If we approach our 70 due to any reason we must be cushioned back to barn.

OK bud I read the book and I guess I could of missed it but I didn't see were it said that you have to run 7 day's. What I read said you must have 7 day dispatch. Theres a little bit of a difference there. Just send a guy home with a cell phone. To tell you the truth I think they might do that now or some one is there to answer the phone. I'll have to try that on Sunday and see if I get an answer. But you don't have to run on Sunday to use the 70 hr. rule. If that was the case DOT would have got me years ago.