ODFL | 70mph

I would be in favor of the trucks being set at 67 m.p.h.. Since most fleets are set at 65, you could still get by the drivers who won't back out of it to let you get by them. Nice happy medium.......safe and economical.

Fuel prices are down, con-way passes us these days, estes might be bumping up a mph .. what about us green kool aide drinkers? Come one 70 ....in my dreams.

Fuel prices are down, con-way passes us these days, estes might be bumping up a mph .. what about us green kool aide drinkers? Come one 70 ....in my dreams.
Only 70 you going to see is the turned up tractors.Too many wrecks OD has now at 64 mph.Them days of 67 are gone.

It would be nice but i do not see it happening. Running out of a yard with 65 mph trucks and 70 mph trucks there is quite a bit of difference in fuel mileage. The cost would be very big to turn all our trucks in our company up. In our yard the trucks are set to the run and i have driven a 65 mph truck on our 660 mile run with less fuel cost but the problem is you just about run out of time. If i ran my own business i would do the same as OD. Give the driver the speed he needs to have for the miles run. They are working on a upgrade to the Blue that will change the speed of a truck according to the miles set to run. If your dispatched on a run of 650 miles (not sure what the parameter is) then the truck will automatically turn up to 68 or 70. This will be am awesome improvement in my opinion.
Just read through this entire blogs posted here.
How can you legally run 660 miles with a 65mph truck? In the past DOT would look at your log book for 55mph if you showed more than 480 miles that was a flag and possible speeding ticket through your log book. So with a 65mph truck you should only run about 580 miles in 10hrs (yes you have an extra hour but that might get you an extra 40 miles).
Let's look at this also. How many of you check your MPG, with heavy trailers vs light trailers.? How about head wind vs tail wind? How about 62mph vs 67mph truck (don't forget to figure in the extra time of running)? How about Teams being able to idle for 3hrs vs Solo drivers no idle (maybe need to invest in pony motors)? How about States that do not allow any idle time.
What is a SAFE speed.... With very good conditions 3-5mph below posted speed limit (NOTE: VERY GOOD CONDITIONS).
If you read any of the SAFETY meeting topics you will also notice that if you stay just below the governed max speed it will save on fuel mileage.
As far as CBs, they are still great to have and use, but not enough drivers have or use them unless.....last minute to get answers about an accident.
Sure there is more to write about, will be waiting for the bashing/trashing.

Just read through this entire blogs posted here.
How can you legally run 660 miles with a 65mph truck? In the past DOT would look at your log book for 55mph if you showed more than 480 miles that was a flag and possible speeding ticket through your log book. So with a 65mph truck you should only run about 580 miles in 10hrs (yes you have an extra hour but that might get you an extra 40 miles).
Let's look at this also. How many of you check your MPG, with heavy trailers vs light trailers.? How about head wind vs tail wind? How about 62mph vs 67mph truck (don't forget to figure in the extra time of running)? How about Teams being able to idle for 3hrs vs Solo drivers no idle (maybe need to invest in pony motors)? How about States that do not allow any idle time.
What is a SAFE speed.... With very good conditions 3-5mph below posted speed limit (NOTE: VERY GOOD CONDITIONS).
If you read any of the SAFETY meeting topics you will also notice that if you stay just below the governed max speed it will save on fuel mileage.
As far as CBs, they are still great to have and use, but not enough drivers have or use them unless.....last minute to get answers about an accident.
Sure there is more to write about, will be waiting for the bashing/trashing.
Depending where your at in the country and I go coast to coast, I easily average over 60 mph in my 64 mph truck. Today was 663 but I was in a 10-15 minute stop and go, yesterday was 684. Any line guy will say they easily do over 60 mph average (most days) unless your in the dreaded East coast or a state that's 55 mph