Yellow | 9/11/01 where wher you ?

32 years

TB Lurker
Credits
It was about 8:30 am, I was making a deliver of race car tires to a track called raceway park in englishtown njwhene we got done we went into the tracks office and seen the first plane hit the towers on the news, about 25 mins later I was heading to a nother stop listing to the radio whene the 2nd plane hit the north tower, that's whene I knew we under attack.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was about 8:30 am, I was making a deliver of race car tires to a track called raceway park in englishtown ny, whene we got done we went into the tracks office and seen the first plane hit the towers on the news, about 25 mins later I was heading to a nother stop listing to the radio whene the 2nd plane hit the north tower, that's whene I knew we under attack.

Weren't you in New Jersey not New York?

I was about 25 miles south of you in Yardville NJ. I had just finished a delivery and was doing my paperwork listening to NJ radio 101.5. When it was first reported they said they thought a small private plane had accidently hit the tower. By the time I got down to my next stop at McGuire AFB all hell had broken loose. They locked down the base and herded all the trucks into a holding area to be searched by the K9 crews

Was working at Super Valu as a fleet driver (teamster) has just gotten home from an overnight trip, wife came in and said" you better come and see this" watched the fire from the first tower, then saw the second plane hit. I think that's when the first domino fell, and they've been falling ever since............

I was at the doctors office, they had the radio on worked for Daylight Donuts at the time and made the doctor appt. because I knew I would be done with my route, I thought it was a cruel joke by the media. Little did I know.

I was about 3 hours into my layover at Toledo (251) when I got a call from my dispatcher telling me what was happening. I was told the border was closed to truck traffic both ways and my layover was to be extended indefinitely. I could hardly believe what was happening and spent the better part of the day watching the news. They finally opened the border about 10 pm and I got my work call shortly after, Traveling both ways across the border was a whole new experience from then on as there were extensive delays both ways while government agencies corralled trucks and did thorough checks on both freight and equipment. It certainly was a sad day and an eye opener to the extremes some people will go to to bring harm to innocent people.

Back then I was working in Manhattan, at 23rd St and Park Ave. While getting ready for work I was watching the Today Show when the news broke about a plane hitting the WTC. I called my boss and left a message saying that I might be late getting in because of the possible commotion. While continuing to watch the news I saw the second plane hit. It was like an electric shock passed through my body. I called my boss (who didn't know about it yet) and told him what happened and that I was on my way in. Then while driving to the park & ride to get my bus into Manhattan the radio said all entrances into NYC were shut down. I drove to the park and ride (at the Vince Lombardi Service Area on the NJ Turnpike) anyway and with so many others we watched the towers burning off in the distance. Without realizing it at the time (because of all the smoke) we witnessed the collapse of the first tower. After watching and taking some photos I started to head back home just as the car radio stated that the second tower had collapsed. Heading home on Rt 17 I saw dozens of ambulances from all over North Jersey heading south to tend to the expected casualties. Then I saw some fighter aircraft flying south around the same time. My job was shut down for the rest of the week but the following Monday I went down to the WTC area after work to see the area and take photos. It was surreal.

Back then I was working in Manhattan, at 23rd St and Park Ave. While getting ready for work I was watching the Today Show when the news broke about a plane hitting the WTC. I called my boss and left a message saying that I might be late getting in because of the possible commotion. While continuing to watch the news I saw the second plane hit. It was like an electric shock passed through my body. I called my boss (who didn't know about it yet) and told him what happened and that I was on my way in. Then while driving to the park & ride to get my bus into Manhattan the radio said all entrances into NYC were shut down. I drove to the park and ride (at the Vince Lombardi Service Area on the NJ Turnpike) anyway and with so many others we watched the towers burning off in the distance. Without realizing it at the time (because of all the smoke) we witnessed the collapse of the first tower. After watching and taking some photos I started to head back home just as the car radio stated that the second tower had collapsed. Heading home on Rt 17 I saw dozens of ambulances from all over North Jersey heading south to tend to the expected casualties. The I saw some fighter aircraft flying south around the same time. My job was shut down for the rest of the week but the following Monday I went down to the WTC area after work to see the area and took photos. It was surreal.

That is an amazing account, Triplex. I remember being sent for a drug test that day and watching it on the TV there. I remember a woman in the waiting area kinda casually looking at the TV but I dont think she really understood what was taking place,I guess none of us did.

That is an amazing account, Triplex. I remember being sent for a drug test that day and watching it on the TV there. I remember a woman in the waiting area kinda casually looking at the TV but I dont think she really understood what was taking place,I guess none of us did.

For many weeks and even months the whole area around my job location and also all the way downtown was plastered with thousands of flyers printed up and posted by people/families with photos and descriptions of their loved ones who were missing (and undoubtedly deceased). People were desperate to get any information about those who perished and were never (at that time anyway) found. You couldn't walk anywhere and see those flyers without getting a sick feeling in your gut.

The Rosemont Hilton. JAC hearings were scheduled to begin at 10:00AM. All hearings were cancelled. Roadway convened a conference call at the old Franklin Park terminal. The Midwest Division VP of Labor asked if I would drive him there and I was allowed to listen in as operational options were discussed. It was a very confused and frightening time.

Under a truck like normal, I found out about when one of the drivers came back in the yard and asked what was going on with the planes...........................

It felt very eerie on my 57 mile drive to Roadway Albuquerque for swing shift that day. Then the radio blaring the news while working the dock. Reminded me of the Timothy McVeigh incident.

It's not over in IMO. I shudder to think what our current president has in mind for immigration reform.

I was making a delivery to a Buy Buy Baby store in Scarsdale, New York in Westchester County. When the first plane hit we were all watching it on a tv in the receiving area. After unloading my T.M. instructed me to bring it in as he knew it was going to be impossible to get around in the tri-state area. I worked for Roadway Express at the Stamford, Ct. terminal at the time. It took me 5 hours up 95N to get back to the terminal. If that wasn"t bad enough, it took me another 6 1/2 hours to get back home to New Jersey. A very tragic day for all Americans who witness it. By the way I just visited the 9-11 Memorial and Museum in July and it brought memories and tears to my eyes. I highly recommend visiting these 2 sites if at all possible, you will be touched.:usa:

I was at home in bed when my dear Wife woke me up to tell me what happened. After the 3 plane hit I called R-64 Stroudsburg and was told to report on time. Was sent to the Brocton Mass term and there was nobody on I-84 or the Mass pike But every State, City, & Local Police in Mass, Conn, & New York. Getting across the Newburgh Beacon Bridge was a nightmare while some lowlife at the Maybrook truck stop was on 19 yelling "Death to America"
Never found out if they caught the bastard or not.
Came home a couple of days later Via I-95 and while going across the G.W. Bridge you could see the searchlights and the smoke coming from the site of the former towers. The smoke went up to I guess around 15-20000 feet. That's where the upper level winds caught it and blew it out over Long Island. What a sad sight.

For many weeks and even months the whole area around my job location and also all the way downtown was plastered with thousands of flyers printed up and posted by people/families with photos and descriptions of their loved ones who were missing (and undoubtedly deceased). People were desperate to get any information about those who perished and were never (at that time anyway) found. You couldn't walk anywhere and see those flyers without getting a sick feeling in your gut.

Memorials at Union Square Park, NYC on September 17, 2001

Posters looking for info about missing on Lexington Ave., NYC

Posters covering front of 69th Regiment Armory on Lexington Ave., NYC