XPO | A Fast Growing Problem

bluesmoke

TB Lurker
Credits
when we all hired on here we had great expectations of the new job. after awhile we see what the older guys are doing(just standing around and complaining about everything)and seeing how hard it is to get to leave the fac, its not brain surgery unload the freight and reload it (not dock it) and go. i think the politics of management wears you down and after awhile you stop careing. and if you try to talk to management about the pride program all you here is "ill check on it" and nothing happens. dont get me wrong i like my job (the pay and home time) but it can be very stressfull!!!!its a shame the drivers and the management cant work together instead of against each other. SOME WHERE WE ALL QUIT CAREING

mushroom said:
its a shame the drivers and the management cant work together instead of against each other. SOME WHERE WE ALL QUIT CAREING

:USA: You are right. We can be our own worst enemy,with all of the rumors and negativity. We need to get all of this behind us and get back on track and get the job done. We are still the best freight company around. Now we need to distance ourselves even further from the competition. Drivers and management need to work together. We all have the same goal.

We create our own future.

I Think We Think About Load Factor To Much I Think We Should Care More About The quality Not The Quantityof Our Freight. We Are Always Trying To Put 20 Pounds Of Shi* In A 5 Pound Bag At The Cost Of Our Customers.

mushroom said:
I Think We Think About Load Factor To Much I Think We Should Care More About The quality Not The Quantityof Our Freight. We Are Always Trying To Put 20 Pounds Of Shi* In A 5 Pound Bag At The Cost Of Our Customers.

This is one of the main reasons I left CON-WAY. Nothing like getting a 20 bill breaker and spending three hour trying to re-coup the freight because some one could'nt use a load rack or a load bar.
I love the DSR who cant get off their towmotor to put up a piece of plywood, and protect the freight. Then have a FOS take pictures of the damaged load and nothing happen to the A%$hole who loaded it.

mushroom said:

Mushroom, sound like what CF used to do. Load factor was their favorite word.

I remember trying to strip trailers with 6-7 Home Depot bills all out of the same shipper. The pallets would be stripped and the cartons were not labled. You should have seen how much time we wasted trying to figure out which freight went to which store.

And don't forget the account that you lost before due to pallets being stripped but you just got back.
The O/B supervisor tells you to strip those pallets to improve load factor and you remind him that you lost that account due to pallets being stripped and he tells you to strip them anyway.

Does any of this sound familiar to you?

Oh yeah, I left Con-Way 10 years ago and then it was always about load factor. Cramming everything in 1 pup and pulling an empty rear on the lite lanes just to make load factor instead of flooring out 2 pups to make em easy to break and little if any damage.

OK, I agree on a lot here, but what about once you load something RIGHT, like light on heavy, and Joe Blow comes along, moves what you loaded, and it gets damaged?

Another good example, you do your job right, and dunnage something, and again, some one comes behind you and moves stuff around, isn't there a way to add a place on the manifest to have people initial that hey moved a signed on coso?

I try to remember to add my initials to something I move, if it was dunnaged, or is hazmat, high-dollar etc (meaning i don't worry about old tires, stock steel, stuff that isn't going to be a problem).

Also, I write notes on the manifest, simple little details so three weeks from now, when they call me in to ask how XYZ freight got damaged, I'll remember more about what that load was.

Another thing I do, if I break some freight that is damaged already, I note it on the manifest AND coso, so that the next person has proof THEY didn't damage it! :)

If we ALL take the time to THINK and CARE, we would rock and roll a lot more!!!!!! :)

you guys DO NOT KNOW how good you have it and are taking it for granted....

maybe im wrong, but i doubt it.... im out of california and i used to work at yellow and i moved to con-way and when i use to work at yellow.....the damages etc were TENFOLD what i see at conway...
at yellow 90% of the breakouts you do you would have to recoupe something or there would be something really challenging to remove.... and the OS&D bay at yellow would always be overflowing same with the returns....
at the end of the shift (inbound or outbound) when i used to work at yellow....if you were the one cleaning up....almost EVERY trash bin would be full of shrinkwrap....pieces of wood ( from pallets/crates etc..)... pieces of cardboard, pieces of freight etc... (meaning alot of things were recouped)

now i work at conway....and
-i dont even remeber the last time i had to recoupe a pallet that say....fell over or something in a breakout...

-i dont finish a roll of shrinkwrap every shift

-the OS&D (non fac) is but 2-5 pallets in a small area

-the returns trailer is a pup that doesnt even get filled up or is empty some days (full long box everyday at yellow)

-when im the designated one to clean up the dock after operations, i empty about 6 garbage pails max...(not almost all of them)

this is how it is in the west coast.....maybe different down south or in the east....

to put in all in a nutshell :
con-way = quality over quantity
yellow (maybe others) = quantity over quality

in terms of freight...
..eg: Yellow will take almost any shipper and con-way wont accept just any shipment

this means lower tonnage....but potential for higher PROFITABILITY....

OVERKILL said:
Oh yeah, I left Con-Way 10 years ago and then it was always about load factor. Cramming everything in 1 pup and pulling an empty rear on the lite lanes just to make load factor instead of flooring out 2 pups to make em easy to break and little if any damage.
Hey OK.......that's the way I see it. If they are going to run 2 pups, why don't they put all of the freight on both of them and not cram it all on one!! We go through the same thing at RDWY. I load freight to our satellites, and I floor load them, as best I can. I think about the guys unloading them for delivery and how long it takes them. If you "high and tight" them and break down skids it takes alot longer to do your job!! Damages come from this, but it seems no matter what company you work for.........load factor is more important than damage claims!! Just my 2 cents. DS.

they like to cube out all trailers because on linehaul , at a reship ,the less trailers they have to put to the dock the more time and money saved !! i agrree thou you get tons more damage loading them high n tight but all things considered its more profitable to load them cramed to the gills !!! i asked this at a xgo yes seminar (big waste of time and money here at yes meeting) and they told me you make money in ltl by putting the most amount of frieght on the least amount of trailers ,,,,

here is the problem with managers talking with drivers. first we have different visions, we try to cut as much as posible to save as much as possible. this is handled by load factor, (i know , i know, i know, how.) well the trucking theory behind load factor is that if you fill every void in a trailer then the freight shouldnt move. this is a theory and it works if it is done right, no put load factor into the picture and what does it mean.. this means we cut a load and a driver might sit at home and lose 150-300 dollars that night but the company you work for just pocketed over 800 dollars that night times about 55000 trips = a large sum for our ICP. do not quote me on the numbers im just trying to open minds. i love to be challenged by a driver on how can he (she) help, and i also challenge myself. ask any fos in the biz about load factor and see if they have the same answer as mine (doubt it). this is nothing but how i see it being in the biz for about 12 years now. i am open to, and ask my guys (girls) to give me feedback on the loads we break because i cant see them all. and i respond to the scm's of that lane and expect feedback and usually get it. dont let an inexperienced fos dictate the role of you (the dsr) when you know what is right. do your job to the best of your ability, go home, get on here, and cuss about the dumbass fos that didnt know what he was doing last night. then evaluate yourself of last nights performance and get on here and tell us all about it ( good or bad). yes mushroom you know me and i am open for discussion at all times i am on or off duty........ thanks for reading this long message

the logger

I had a problem with everything your talking about until I finial figured the whole scenario out. There is NO PROBLEM !!! If there was somebody would do something about it .Do what you got to do and go home . It is that simple.... Don’t worry about what you, a single person in a big corporation has no control over. Do your job, take their money and enjoy your time away from work.

if people who are loading trailers would load them right ie. bracing dunnage etc. things would be better. if you dont have load factor then you are throwing money out of your con-way tractor. i understand people have a living to make but if we just floored out every trailer then i guess we could make everyone happy because they would have their runs. but we are in the business to make money. last time i checked every freight line tries to do the same . if you dont like it start your own trucking company and see how fast you would change your mind about some of the dumb things that are put on this

biggdean said:
they like to cube out all trailers because on linehaul , at a reship ,the less trailers they have to put to the dock the more time and money saved !! i agrree thou you get tons more damage loading them high n tight but all things considered its more profitable to load them cramed to the gills !!! i asked this at a xgo yes seminar (big waste of time and money here at yes meeting) and they told me you make money in ltl by putting the most amount of frieght on the least amount of trailers ,,,,
I have to disagree with you high and tight comment. As an inbound city guy for the last 8 years I can strip a 25-30 biller out of XSX vs a 10-12 biller out of XNJ a lot faster. Why? Because the guys at XSX took the time and pride to load the trailer properly vs the guys at XNJ who just bulldoze the freight into the trailer. Just my opinion based on my experience.

redbird said:
if people who are loading trailers would load them right ie. bracing dunnage etc. things would be better. if you dont have load factor then you are throwing money out of your con-way tractor. i understand people have a living to make but if we just floored out every trailer then i guess we could make everyone happy because they would have their runs. but we are in the business to make money. last time i checked every freight line tries to do the same . if you dont like it start your own trucking company and see how fast you would change your mind about some of the dumb things that are put on this
This is kind of what I am trying to say .You are worrying about how everybody else is doing things. You are a DSR and all YOU can do is stress yourself out. Sure it would be the ultimate if everybody did the job the right way and ensured the freight was secured and damage free. The only thing holding us back from being a giant to be reckoned with is our massive amount of damaged freight. The pitfalls of no accountably. Long before we go out of business
the damage ,load factor will be dealt with. This is NOT directed at you personally redbird.

if you have 32000 pounds of freight its not going to fit in 1 pup (because of dot weight requirements) so why cram 23000 into 1 pup and have another pup with 9000 in another not to mention the one with 23000 will have about 4 claims and as slow as it is right now we need all the runs we can get!!!!

goofytoes said:
Hey cfr.... I remember yhe days of h.d. I still have nightmares...Remember the trailers of roses in Jan....

HD was CAKE! JCP was a nightmare! :)
(We lost that account in Jan 97!)

mushroom said:
if you have 32000 pounds of freight its not going to fit in 1 pup (because of dot weight requirements) so why cram 23000 into 1 pup and have another pup with 9000 in another not to mention the one with 23000 will have about 4 claims and as slow as it is right now we need all the runs we can get!!!!
If it's a through load they may add to it on down the line, we do the same thing at FXF, the thing I don't get is when you have 6 empties going back to your terminal and cram all your freight on 2, loads returning to your domicile for local delivery shouldn't be factored in, of course that is just my opinion and not that of management, unfortunately.

To my surprise I had a dock supervisor tell me I could leave a head load of inbound on rather than undeck it and try to cram it in one of 2 other tlrs loading, maybe things are changing, lol.

FM