TForce | A nice conversation with a feeder driver

I run into alot of ups drivers at night time. We have coffee, We always treat each other with respect and we always have good conversation. For the most part the drivers I run into are in the dark as to what is going on at UPSF.

Probably because they really don't care...

Apo,
We've told you time and time again that it's not up to your supervisor as to whether or not you get a lunch and breaks....it's up to you. You are entitled to them and should take them. If that means that you get some overtime, so be it. It's one thing to be a good hard worker....it's another to allow yourself to be taken advantage of. If you ever screw up bad enough, and I really hope you don't, they'll never remember the good things you've done all of these years as they're firing you.

I also talk to the UPS parcel drivers I see on my routes.
I knew they always got way more stops than I could ever handle in one day.
But now that they talk to me I'm learning that their route are small enough to do all the stops they get,as well as getting a 45 minute lunch every single day.
These drivers don't talk to any other freight company drivers,and they never talked much to me before we worked for the same company.
As far as the union all these drivers are totally clueless.
Some of the older drivers say they can't wait till were union,but they don't seem to know anything about whats going on with us.
Than some of them don't like talking about anything with the union.

I wounder now if my route was smaller,and I didn't have to have a loading dock or wait for a forklift to unload me,if I might be able to keep up with these parcel drivers after all.

I'm still having a hard time fitting a half hour lunch in,and getting everything done on my route.
Maybe these parcel guys don't really have such a hard job after all?

i agree with you about some of these guys not talking to you and them being clueless. there are some who never heard about Overnite let alone that UPS bought them. most of them i encounter don't even know what freight is :hysterical:

Another good reason why a union is needed, to avoid "mass terminations"

Didn't ಠ▄ಠ mass terminate?

Why would UPSF want to get rid of drivers. Isn't there a national driver shortage?

Although I do agree with your comment T251 we are being told just what APO has mentioned, UPS will spare no expense on securing safety in UPSF . Unfortunatly as much of a driver shortage as we have they are still willing to do the same to us as small package , Its in the work's as we speak.

The other unfortunate thing is alot of drivers feel threatened by this move, as to say They are not safe enough, and consider this move a joke, this is what APO is inferring.

And it is troublesome to know that these people would rather leave then benifit from a from a co. that could take them places.

Its unfortunate ,but it's the truth, I feel there will be alot of people leaving, I could be wrong and hope I am but as SKEETER say's time will tell.

That and being able to park any damm where you want.

Apo. I do know if you or anybody is aware of this but I have 1 thing to say.

If you are unable to finish your run because you take the required breaks which is only 1\2 hr. (according to company policy).

MGNT is supposed to arrange your run to the point of putting another guy in your run to compansate, if required ,for the extra work.
If you do the work without your required breaks then dispatch will take advantage of this so they can get something else done instead.

This work's to thier advantage and not your's.
You are creating your own workloads. Not the one set forth by the co. This is the reason for unions. If mgnt. can see there is enough profitability in your run too add another person and does'nt. then they are getting 2 for the price of one.

If you walk into the grocery store and discover a two for 1 would you turn it down,? This mantality is beating on you too sustain profitability. And low and behold we do not have another family of mouth's too feed. This is where the union tells you to slow down because you are taking work from another driver, it usually means you are.

When I had 27 stops on my truck, leaving at 11:30 in the AM, and half of my stops close at 3:30 PM , and I have 1\2 drive to get too them and then 3 hrs to peddle 4 cities , and I mean cities, stop and go allday, 120 mile run when all is said and done, 20 mles down and back,4-5 to get on while peddeling, and MGNT tells me I am doing a bad job. And this has happened, for 7 mths. out of a year for 6 of my 8 yrs. there. ohhh and have to be back at 7:00, and I did it. these people were burying me. Crap on that . this run should have been divided by 3 driver's. And is now. and the runs are excellent now in comparison. And gives me plenty of time too accomplish what I have to do as well as lunch.
This is one thing I thank UPS for. Service to the customer instead of #'s for the company. Or company YEILD as leo put it.

There will be alot more operational changes to come in the new year, as Mike E said "We plan on putting more emphises in our freight division, this is where the new growth and oportunities lie". S o not to make anybody paranoid, but keep an eye on thing's, there is alot more to come.
This explains the industrial engineers UPS has sent over to our camps. The retooling has only just begun.

Apo. I do know if you or anybody is aware of this but I have 1 thing to say.

If you are unable to finish your run because you take the required breaks which is only 1\2 hr. (according to company policy).

MGNT is supposed to arrange your run to the point of putting another guy in your run to compansate, if required ,for the extra work.
If you do the work without your required breaks then dispatch will take advantage of this so they can get something else done instead.

This work's to thier advantage and not your's.
You are creating your own workloads. Not the one set forth by the co. This is the reason for unions. If mgnt. can see there is enough profitability in your run too add another person and does'nt. then they are getting 2 for the price of one.

If you walk into the grocery store and discover a two for 1 would you turn it down,? This mantality is beating on you too sustain profitability. And low and behold we do not have another family of mouth's too feed. This is where the union tells you to slow down because you are taking work from another driver, it usually means you are.

When I had 27 stops on my truck, leaving at 11:30 in the AM, and half of my stops close at 3:30 PM , and I have 1\2 drive to get too them and then 3 hrs to peddle 4 cities , and I mean cities, stop and go allday, 120 mile run when all is said and done, 20 mles down and back,4-5 to get on while peddeling, and MGNT tells me I am doing a bad job. And this has happened, for 7 mths. out of a year for 6 of my 8 yrs. there. ohhh and have to be back at 7:00, and I did it. these people were burying me. Crap on that . this run should have been divided by 3 driver's. And is now. and the runs are excellent now in comparison. And gives me plenty of time too accomplish what I have to do as well as lunch.
This is one thing I thank UPS for. Service to the customer instead of #'s for the company. Or company YEILD as leo put it.

Sorry galaxy, I was actually quoting APO.

I was told by a former ups driver that brown might be looking at another freight company to pick up, that there looking to be bigger than fedex any info on what company that might be?

I was told by a former ups driver that brown might be looking at another freight company to pick up, that there looking to be bigger than fedex any info on what company that might be?

Welcome to the boards fr8muver. I think they could eventually buy someone out. But first they have to get this freight company humming. Right now we're looking for jumper cables.

Well, They are interested as to what the plans and outcome will be for UPSF. But managment never talks about freight just as our managment does not talk about package.

NO if we have a question about why package operates a certain ( such as speed limit) way we are told we are different and if we bring up the way things used to be we are told we are UPS....Its so confusing!!!!!!

Go up to the channel that they are on and say hello. It usually starts a conversation and they will ask questions.

Great idea, but after going thru 1-40 and not getting a come back on any, I usually give up. I suppose I could go thru all the bands, and even the side channels, but lifes too short. Some talk, most do not.

Great idea, but after going thru 1-40 and not getting a come back on any, I usually give up. I suppose I could go thru all the bands, and even the side channels, but lifes too short. Some talk, most do not.

Dude you need to go the extra mile to be nice.....Good things will come to you.....If you must go above and beyond the call of the regular 40 than let the force take you.....

I run with a feeder driver 2 or 3 times a week running to SLC. In fact I have run with diifferent ones for years. So far they have all been good guys. Just hope they don't drive a Mack or you have to go REAL slow up hill.......Those Macks need a bigger pony......