ABF | ABF New Hires

Aminj674

TB Lurker
Credits
Will a new hire start at the new top rate If the contract goes through, or is there a graduated scale for newly hired drivers. My fiancé interviewed and they are waiting for his background check to come back to offer him the job, but we are trying to figure out how the pay would work if he starts at the end of the month or first week/second week of July. He has some friends who work for teamsters and was told that they did away with the graduated scale, but looking at the current contract it states 80% of top rate and 100% after a year, is that language being changed in the new contract.

Will a new hire start at the new top rate If the contract goes through, or is there a graduated scale for newly hired drivers. My fiancé interviewed and they are waiting for his background check to come back to offer him the job, but we are trying to figure out how the pay would work if he starts at the end of the month or first week/second week of July. He has some friends who work for teamsters and was told that they did away with the graduated scale, but looking at the current contract it states 80% of top rate and 100% after a year, is that language being changed in the new contract.
I am sure Steward of the Rock or other active Teamsters will be glad to answer your question.

Cdl qualified driver or mechanic. First day of employment starts at 90%. Then first day of employment + 1 year goes up to full rate.

IMG_2787.md.png
Thank you for sharing this. Not sure that will be enough for him to leave his current job. He is making 33.98 (with paid health benefits)he has been wanting to get back into the Union for a few years now, he was in Teamsters for 17 years prior to taking his current non union job 8 years ago. The starting rate just seems unusually low compared to other carriers out there. Of course, I understand what the company contributes to H&W and pension have to be accounted for as well, but The starting rate for any CDL driver should not be lower then 33 regardless of the fringe benefits. I guess he has a lot to think about, my biggest concern is that starting out the hours won’t be there and he won’t work some days.

Thank you for sharing this. Not sure that will be enough for him to leave his current job. He is making 33.98 (with paid health benefits)he has been wanting to get back into the Union for a few years now, he was in Teamsters for 17 years prior to taking his current non union job 8 years ago. The starting rate just seems unusually low compared to other carriers out there. Of course, I understand what the company contributes to H&W and pension have to be accounted for as well, but The starting rate for any CDL driver should not be lower then 33 regardless of the fringe benefits. I guess he has a lot to think about, my biggest concern is that starting out the hours won’t be there and he won’t work some days.
Good luck to you and your husband which ever path you choose!

My terminal is still offering 100% after 30 days. That’s the way the contract reads unless the company is desperate for drivers. It would be wise for your fiancé to get back into the union so he is not penalized I believe 10% for not being with a union company 2 years before he retires….

I am definitely not disagreeing with that, they have a very generous Health plan and Pension plan. More concerned about lack of work, or being laid off being he would be the bottom guy.
It might make a difference where he is looking for work. Usually someone on this board can give you an idea as to how busy a terminal is & if any have been hired recently. Sometimes a Teamster will wait till a contract is signed to retire. Usually it is known when someone is considering retiring so there may be an opening soon at the terminal near him.

It might make a difference where he is looking for work. Usually someone on this board can give you an idea as to how busy a terminal is & if any have been hired recently. Sometimes a Teamster will wait till a contract is signed to retire. Usually it is known when someone is considering retiring so there may be an opening soon at the

The terminal is in South Jersey, he was told he would be working the dock as well as driving until he works his way up the ladder. He doesn’t care what he is doing as long as he is getting at least 48-50 hours, but that can never be a guarantee. Maybe there will be someone on here that works in the South Jersey terminal that can give us some insight.

The terminal is in South Jersey, he was told he would be working the dock as well as driving until he works his way up the ladder. He doesn’t care what he is doing as long as he is getting at least 48-50 hours, but that can never be a guarantee. Maybe there will be someone on here that works in the South Jersey terminal that can give us some insight.
I think there is at least one on TB from that area & one that runs to that area & maybe a retiree familiar with Jersey. They will be honest with their answer.

That’s always been a very busy terminal

no a new hire will NOT start at top rate nor will they get 100% of the first year pay hike they get whatever percentage they are at of the pay raise (EX first year is $3.50 per hr and your level is 80% of scale then you will get 80% of the $3.50 which is $2.80 etc etc ) and it is now 5 years to reach top scale for those hired after date of ratification

no a new hire will NOT start at top rate nor will they get 100% of the first year pay hike they get whatever percentage they are at of the pay raise (EX first year is $3.50 per hr and your level is 80% of scale then you will get 80% of the $3.50 which is $2.80 etc etc ) and it is now 5 years to reach top scale for those hired after date of ratification
That is “non-CDL” rates you are showing. CDL qualified with required endorsements start at 90% first year then full scale after that by contract Article 33.