ABF | ABF New Hires

Will a new hire start at the new top rate If the contract goes through, or is there a graduated scale for newly hired drivers. My fiancé interviewed and they are waiting for his background check to come back to offer him the job, but we are trying to figure out how the pay would work if he starts at the end of the month or first week/second week of July. He has some friends who work for teamsters and was told that they did away with the graduated scale, but looking at the current contract it states 80% of top rate and 100% after a year, is that language being changed in the new contract.
It's up to the terminal. The Company stance is to start from the bottom. But the terminal can start them wherever considering they're responsible for hiring and their budget.

The terminal is in South Jersey, he was told he would be working the dock as well as driving until he works his way up the ladder. He doesn’t care what he is doing as long as he is getting at least 48-50 hours, but that can never be a guarantee. Maybe there will be someone on here that works in the South Jersey terminal that can give us some insight.
Vincentown? If so I wouldn't be to worried they always seem to have plenty of work.

It depends what terminal he's going to.
Some of the DC's need drivers bad and are starting them out at top rate.
Hell Carlisle was starting at top rate, no probation period, and 10000 sign on bonus for several year to get guys in the door.

My question is if they are having problems hiring cdl & non cdl why would they make the progression longer? The only concessions that we seemed to lose was the non cdl progression & the bonus #’s
This damnable 2 tier wage was started by Jackie Presser back in 1987-1988 and we can't get rid of it now. The company should not be able to waive it at their discretion. It is arbitrary, capricious and discriminatory and against the very core values of a union. An injury to one is an injury to all.....If they want it, let them choke on it trying to hire qualified help. When Presser gave it to the companies back in 1988, it was a 4 yr progression: 70%, 80% 90% and finally100%. How in the blue-eyed hell can the union ask a driver starting at 90% and a probation period to pay the same dues as a driver in Carlisle who gets a 10,000 dollar sign on bonus at full scale and no probation? If they had held their ground against this, it would already be gone from the contract. I would expect President O'Brien to take care of this... I know he understands it.

Last edited:
My question is if they are having problems hiring cdl & non cdl why would they make the progression longer? The only concessions that we seemed to lose was the non cdl progression & the bonus #’s
I will take swing at answering that question... Because there is no down side to it for the company. If they get in a pinch for help they just waive it, and diminish the union solidarity along the way as a bonus. It's called a win-win..... for them. It's more corrosive to a strong union than battery acid...

Last edited: