TForce | All you road drivers, how many times have you hauled a split-load?

maxicoze

TB Regular
Credits
All you road drivers, how many times has your set been split-load.

By "Split-load" i mean one trailer going to one final destination and the other trailer going to a different final destination?

So, in this case, you would need doubles(or triples) for the question to apply.

Also, list what division you are in-----maybe it's different in other sectors?

_______________________________________________________________________________________

When i was doing road, i would say for me, it was probably under 10% of the time and probably lower than 10%, maybe 3-7% if that of the time, i would have a split load.

i'm in Division one, northeast and maybe it's different for other sectors.....?

The rare times i did get a split-load one trailer was usually going to South Holland terminal and the other in the same direction often further---maybe L.A. Meaning, i'm pretty sure the set would end up in South Holland and the other trailer would be re-paired with another going further west?

This was VERY rare and my reasons for bringing this up will follow shortly as i REALLY get into it........

The South Holland trailers were usually on the heavy side---like 15,000lbs +. My average weights were usually under 12,000lbs. More like 7,000/8,000 per trailer.

Also, i would say maybe 10-15% i would have a single 53' van---no doubles. Please include that information as well.

They would fill a 45 foot Wabash reefer and hand it to me with 32 stops to do in the entire northeast and 5 days and nights to get it empty by 4Pm Friday by appointment.

Hence the idea you sleep next week. They will have another ready for you. Delivery and sometimes multi shipping as well. I remember going to Cape Cod more or less and picking up a single Flounder which is really big and heavy. Tossed that into the Reefer going to the Seafood market along with 10 or 15 other stuff going to 8 different places that day.

You never stopped moving. Stuff onto the trailer, stuff off the trailer ledger pads and pencil plus dozens of dollars in telephone communications to keep it all straight. In the old way long before computers and satellite, Cell phones.

One load incident was very controversial. I was above New Haven loading hazmat in the front half of the bulkhead with frozen food products with it's aft reefer unit going. To this day I am not reconciled with that particular load. Corrosive Diamonds on the rig and frozen food to eat in the back. Once in a while I take a deep dive into HM rules to see if that was legal or not. That's how much of a mess it was. But we got it done. If you have the money honey I had the time. 400 dollars that load paid cash. Never mind what the owner got with his end of the revenue on the truck.

That was one of the highest paying loads ever. I think it netted me a thousand dollars with three drops in Jersey and one in Allentown the next day to finish. that's why I don't do jersey anymore. So much stuff vanished into that state on the handful of hundred dollar bills direct to me. (Not drugs, we know that for sure...)

Last edited: