Another Bridge Clearence issue

I guess we are lucky in Western Canada.

There are very few overpasses that are less than 5 meters in clearance. That works out to 16 feet.

In places where there is a lesser clearance, mostly light poles, there is either an escape route immediately before, or the light pole is designed to swing out of the way to provide the needed clearance.

Perhaps as the bridges are rebuilt in the US, they will be given more clearance. It would only make sense.

Ooops, I forgot, we are talking some sort of government interference here. Duhh

iwe have here bridges rebuilt in our downtown area wich was built in horse and buggy days built back the way it was 12'2 common sense will tell you trucks are mostly 13'6.that same bridge a driver for the company i drove for then planted a staright teuck under it had to let the air out of tires to get it out about foot and a half left of roof.needless to say he was fired didnt tell his wife she called a few days later looking for him found out he was fired.wouldnt want to be at that house when he got home

Yes this is what the towing companies do around here.
They let all of the air out of every tire then winch the whole unit out from under the bridge,then air up the tires so they can do the tow away.

We have two train bridges that are only about a half mile north of the UPS Freight terminal I worked out of till I retired.
Ever since they were built back in the 50's there had to of been a good 150 Rigs smack one or the other,or both if they were going fast enough to make it that far.

Well what do you know the city finally figured out if they dug the road down a three feet,then did a repave job maybe trucks could go under without a problem.

Now the clearance is 14 feet,anybody can get their equipment under them.

Its nice to see after so many wreaks that someone on our citys highway planning board got a clue.

they did that alot in chicago too when they repave they are digging down about time. but maybe too late for many a stranded driver

On the CT shoreline along I-95 there is a couple low bridges on main state roads that are 11'0 and 12'0; to get around them you go through congested little side street residential areas where the clearance is 14'0, of course. Then the residents complain about the truck traffic . The Metro-North rail line cuts all the towns along there in half, alot of low bridges and alot of backtracking to get in and out of the shore side.

On the CT shoreline along I-95 there is a couple low bridges on main state roads that are 11'0 and 12'0; to get around them you go through congested little side street residential areas where the clearance is 14'0, of course. Then the residents complain about the truck traffic . The Metro-North rail line cuts all the towns along there in half, alot of low bridges and alot of backtracking to get in and out of the shore side.

oh yes, many a times my co-workers and i would have to detour off I-95 onto some surface roads....

imagine my surprise when i had a set of pups....

11.gif

oh yes, many a times my co-workers and i would have to detour off I-95 onto some surface roads....

imagine my surprise when i had a set of pups...
sure is tough backing up a set of pups
makes you cuss,ive learned over the years to make sure of my route before i turn

imagine my surprise when i had a set of pups...
sure is tough backing up a set of pups
makes you cuss,ive learned over the years to make sure of my route before i turn

i would be 'the follower" because my co-worker said "he knew where to go".....

this was at least one response to at least one detour...
8.gif

from that day on, if i had pups, i didn't detour, at least not where HE SAID.....:biglaugh:

Well look at it this way.
Does it take longer to go around a low underpass,or to get stuck,then fill out the crash report,and wait for the tow truck.
After that it could also take some more time finding a new job.