Dayton | Any advice/suggestions

Gamer226

TB Lurker
Credits
I might have an opportunity with Dayton Freight in the near future. I’ve been driving for about 20 years, the last 7 as a p&d driver with one of the few union carriers left. I’ve asked several Dayton drivers how they like their job, and every one of them seemed pretty content with their current position. The reason I’m looking is because the terminal I work at is a pretty toxic terminal and the decisions being made are kind of concerning. On top of that, we’re laying guys off but working 60 hour weeks. I know this is trucking but 60 hour weeks constantly week in and week out without an end in sight is something I’m not really interested in doing anymore. The benefits are good here, but I hear they’re good at Dayton as well. Just wondering if anyone has some advice/suggestions, thanks.

Ive heard good things about Dayton. Thought about trying them out myself but they are not hiring in my area right now. I believe they are home daily and are very comparable in pay with the other l.t.l"s. Roll the dice if you are not happy where you are at. We spend way to much time at work in this field not to be happy most of the time. I know sometimes its a crappy day but id have to leave if every day was. Its not worth what the stress does to your body and mind.

Ive heard good things about Dayton. Thought about trying them out myself but they are not hiring in my area right now. I believe they are home daily and are very comparable in pay with the other l.t.l"s. Roll the dice if you are not happy where you are at. We spend way to much time at work in this field not to be happy most of the time. I know sometimes its a crappy day but id have to leave if every day was. Its not worth what the stress does to your body and mind.
You’re absolutely right, we spend way too much time at work in this field. One of the reasons I was interested in going with Dayton is I hear they have a much more attractive schedule then what I’m working.

I agree with the above posts. I know two guys who left Conway and went to Dayton. Much better work and schedule. They were not really happy with the amount of vacation Dayton has. When I retired from Xpo I had 7 weeks and 1 day vacation every year. But it was well worth it to them.

Well where I’m at in January we get 7 sick days, your birthday, and a floating holiday. We just got MLK day off, then my vacation time. So that’s a decent amount of time off. But the other side of it is you pretty much live at work. To add to that if you’re lower on the seniority board you work the dock. I hear Dayton guys don’t work the dock unless they want to. They get two weeks of vacation right off the bat, don’t remember the personal days or sick days though.

Well I ended up hearing back from them, but he said that they wouldn’t be bringing anybody new on board due to it being slow. He said that if things change by the first of the year he would be sure to reach out to me, which still gives me that light at the end of the tunnel. So hopefully he doesn’t forget or things pick back up so I can get in.

Well I ended up hearing back from them, but he said that they wouldn’t be bringing anybody new on board due to it being slow. He said that if things change by the first of the year he would be sure to reach out to me, which still gives me that light at the end of the tunnel. So hopefully he doesn’t forget or things pick back up so I can get in.
I hear the freight is slowing down some. It always does round jan- march but i think the economy is so fricked up more money is going to buy the basics than the wants. Have paitience and perhaps a door will open if not there somewhere for you. Never give up hope.