Any Freight Companies Still Buying Standards?

Have they all gone to automatics?
I saw some figures a while back on new tractor orders that compared the ration of auto shift transmisions compared to manual. I forget where I saw it but auto shift transmission are outselling by a huge amount. Auto shift units are doing better on fuel & maintenance. They keep the engine in the sweet spot, (peak torque range). I remember years ago when the auto shifts were first offered as an option. The dealers were doing a lot of warranty work but that has changed. Like it or not electronics are now a part of trucking.

As time goes on I’m sure the auto shifts will be less troublesome, still suck just as bad to use, just won’t be in the shop as often, but still suck.

The last I heard, Old Dominion was still purchasing some manuals for certain lanes. But you’ed have to check with the guys/gals on the OD forum.

I saw some figures a while back on new tractor orders that compared the ration of auto shift transmisions compared to manual. I forget where I saw it but auto shift transmission are outselling by a huge amount. Auto shift units are doing better on fuel & maintenance. They keep the engine in the sweet spot, (peak torque range). I remember years ago when the auto shifts were first offered as an option. The dealers were doing a lot of warranty work but that has changed. Like it or not electronics are now a part of trucking.
They do better on fuel because they are 12 speed were most companies would by 10 speeds not 13. As for maintenance we can argue that one. A manual trans doesn't have all the senors and isn't computer controlled. I have driven both and never had the problem with a manual like I have had and seen with the autos.

I know I still can, much prefer a manual. The last job I left, The main bulk delivery truck for that yard was a 1995 KW800(daycab) w/3406e, and an Eaton Super 10.
Was a great truck to drive, even with spring ride all around. 1,055,000 on the clicker.
If I was 10 years younger, I’d buy it, and a 5,000 gal pup trailer to pull behind it, and sign on with a common carrier hauling fuel.

They have a new classification with the CDL.
You can get a CDL for automatic trucks and one for manual.

It'll prevent driver shortages.
All of the newest trucks at New Penn from Yellow have been automatics for over a year.

They do better on fuel because they are 12 speed were most companies would by 10 speeds not 13. As for maintenance we can argue that one. A manual trans doesn't have all the senors and isn't computer controlled. I have driven both and never had the problem with a manual like I have had and seen with the autos.
The driveline & clutch last longer with autoshift. Not every driver is smooth with manual transmissions & the shock from every shift eventually wears drivelines, u-joints, clutches, engine mounts etc. Some drivers on a Road Ranger remind me of my wife driving standard transmission pickups. Also don't forget companies can find more drivers if they have autoshifts. The driver pool has changed over the years.

Last edited:
The driveline & clutch last longer with autoshift. Not every driver is smooth with manual transmissions & the shock from every shift eventually wears drivelines, u-joints, clutches, engine mounts etc. Some drivers on a Road Ranger remind me of my wife driving standard transmission pickups. Also don't forget companies can find more drivers if they have autoshifts. The driver pool has changed over the years.
Sometimes I resemble that remark driving our 3/4 Dodge around!!!🤣If the neighbor videod my pathetic attempts at hitting reverse he could use it as blackmail!!!