ABF | Anybody checked out abfatwork.com?

Also note there Mr (management) Freight there is a Board of Trustees, that sits on each and every pension fund. Members of management, and members of the Union. Both have equal responsibility for the funds. Quit blaming the Union for the perils of the funds. All the trustees are equally responsible.

Wrong. The funds are managed by the fund managers totally Third Party. The fund managers and investors have responsibility for the funds.

Go see this article at CNN.com

Report: Teamster funds did better giving money to mobsters - Nov. 15, 2004

Is old, but helps point to ultimate issues.

Additional info. More recent.
Stephen Bainbridge: Unions abusing pension funds for politics - Examiner.com

From the above link.

"Equally unsurprisingly, however, because most of the private benefits from pension fund activism redounds to the benefit of the fund managers or union leadership, union activism also routinely puts their interests at odds with those of the union members whose pensions they manage. Many union members would have gotten better returns from a low-fee indexed fund in a 401(k) than they get from their union pension fund."

First of all, I'm not in management. No guilt here and I am already free.

2nd, the truth is what is escaping a good number of these posts.

You can't be serious about being treated like a slave... I think ABF goes out of their way to work with its employees. You have to remember, it is a Union atmosphere and we have made it what it is today. The warning letters and proceedures are part of the agreed upon structure.

I said nothing about you "not" earning your pay.

Your question if it was to address equipment, how does that relate to the pension issue? I believe the forum was set to address the questions/concerns of the pension. You as a biz owner should know that you have to keep things focused and to the point. If the forum was opened to every issue, nothing would get answered.

Why are you here if you owned your own portion of a F 500 company? Had to be better there...

As far as your check goes, if there are errors on your check, you need to address that with your local. If the times are being entered incorrectly to the computer (not by you), the wrong figures will come out. If you have done this in the past, what were you told? If it is an ongoing issue, then why? What is creating the problem? Data entry error?

spoken like real management.

I wonder why Mr Management is so stuck on the pension issue when the thread is about the abfatwork info squaretable? What are you really trying to sell there Mr Management? Ask your local how who is in charge of the funds. You cant be serious trying to make me believe that you actually believe the employers wouldn't want to have a say.

Yeah frog those are the same reports that Bobby D has been trying to sell. Ask Mr Management, he's got the answers upstairs in Fart Schmitt.

BTW There Mr Management, I never said I OWNED part of a F500 company, I managed. I managed long enough to smell out a MANAGER TYPE Like you. Also, I was downsized out of a job. Not my fault, nor their fault, simply a sign of the times. Since I worked my way through college driving trucks, I thought I'd try my hand at an old trade. And by golly I am doing a pretty formidable job.

I wonder why Mr Management is so stuck on the pension issue when the thread is about the abfatwork info squaretable? What are you really trying to sell there Mr Management? Ask your local how who is in charge of the funds. You cant be serious trying to make me believe that you actually believe the employers wouldn't want to have a say.

Who is Mr. Mgmt?

Fund Managers are in "charge" of the funds. Managers answer to the shareholders, "us". Sure they want a say, but legally the Union or the Company should not be in control of the fund if it is to stay valid.

Yeah frog those are the same reports that Bobby D has been trying to sell. Ask Mr Management, he's got the answers upstairs in Fart Schmitt.

BTW There Mr Management, I never said I OWNED part of a F500 company, I managed. I managed long enough to smell out a MANAGER TYPE Like you. Also, I was downsized out of a job. Not my fault, nor their fault, simply a sign of the times. Since I worked my way through college driving trucks, I thought I'd try my hand at an old trade. And by golly I am doing a pretty formidable job.

Again, no manager here.

I guess all we can do is have someone put all this on the board with current dates and lets see if it don't play out like I describe...

Mr Management, Please read the excerpt from teamster.org, and please note that my previous post was and still is accurate. Go tell your dad bob that there are no stupid truck drivers here at ABF.

What is the Teamsters Union doing to secure our pensions?

First, its important to understand that the Central States Fund is a multi-employer Fund, not a Teamsters Union Fund. Teamster members represent only half of the Trustees on the Fund, the rest come from employers. In fact, Federal pension law prohibits unions from controlling pension funds. Moreover, Trustees must pledge to be independent and only operate in the fiduciary interest of the Fund. The Teamsters cannot order Teamster Union to do anything with regard to the Central States Fund any more than employer trustees can be so ordered by their company.

Indeed, it was the very fact that Central States Funds were found to be subject to outside influences several decades ago that the Government now has a monitoring role over the Central States Funds as a result of a Consent Decree. The last thing Trustees of the Central States Funds are going to do is respond to political pressure from TDU or anyone else.

Simply put, the Teamsters Union does not control the Central States Fund.

The only thing the Teamsters Union can do is negotiate the strongest contracts possible, balancing the members’ needs for wages and health benefits today with pensions and health care in retirement. And the Teamsters have done that, recently negotiating the richest UPS and Freight contracts in history, which have provided good wages, and secured our pension and health benefits as well as can be expected.

Secondly, while the CSPF has its own trustees, fiduciaries, and government overseers, the Teamsters Union is currently conducting its own analysis to make sure that the Fund is being well-managed and that Teamster pensions remain secure. Last November the IBT hired Independent Fiduciary Services (IFS) and Watson Wyatt Worldwide, two highly-respected auditors/actuaries, to perform an independent assessment of the CSPF’s investments and condition in light of the stock market decline of the last few years.

Finally, General President Hoffa is paying close attention to developments in the Central States and other Teamster Funds, something that the previous Administration did not do.

Mikey:

Actually Mikey you are correct the thread is about the square "roundtable" and we should stick to that. But I can't help but believe that Mr. Freight is either management or TDU (Too Dumb to Understand). While the so called roundtable at ABF is not to negotiate with the employees directly they sure seem to be doing pretty good job of doing just that. Wich if I am correct would be a violation of the NLRA.

Mikey:

Actually Mikey you are correct the thread is about the square "roundtable" and we should stick to that. But I can't help but believe that Mr. Freight is either management or TDU (Too Dumb to Understand). While the so called roundtable at ABF is not to negotiate with the employees directly they sure seem to be doing pretty good job of doing just that. Which if I am correct would be a violation of the NLRA.
This is exactly why it is there. It is to divide and conquer. It seems to be doing just that.

:1036316054: U da man Frog!!! We all need to be well informed with the truth. Not the half truths, or rumors. Solidarity my friends is what will carry us through the contract negotiations.
Go to your local union meetings. Fill the halls and by all means ask questions. Remember whether your road, city, dock, or office workers, we are all brothers and sisters.
There is nothing the company would like to do more is that divide us all, weak unions are easy to screw.
GO TO YOUR LOCAL UNION MEETINGS, YOU'LL BE SURPRISED HOW MUCH MALARKY IS SPREAD THROUGH GOOFS LIKE MR MANAGEMENT.

You try to tell me you are not management, then if you are not you are some anti union slug thats here to spew BS
Guys even if he is management he does deserve the same respect that all of our members do. Attack all his post with all you have but lets not attack the poster. Debate is a good thing so let's keep ours two sided unlike the "Squaretable" one.

Guys even if he is management he does deserve the same respect that all of our members do. Attack all his post with all you have but lets not attack the poster. Debate is a good thing so let's keep ours two sided unlike the "Squaretable" one.

My apologies. I get a little testy when someone tries to equate us with mobsters, and the like.
Those days are gone thankfully.

Holey Moley, I was just on another thread am Mister Freight is selling a pitch on the company pension there too. I think Mikey is on to something.

Mr Management, Please read the excerpt from teamster.org, and please note that my previous post was and still is accurate. Go tell your dad bob that there are no stupid truck drivers here at ABF.

What is the Teamsters Union doing to secure our pensions?

First, its important to understand that the Central States Fund is a multi-employer Fund, not a Teamsters Union Fund. Teamster members represent only half of the Trustees on the Fund, the rest come from employers. In fact, Federal pension law prohibits unions from controlling pension funds. Moreover, Trustees must pledge to be independent and only operate in the fiduciary interest of the Fund. The Teamsters cannot order Teamster Union to do anything with regard to the Central States Fund any more than employer trustees can be so ordered by their company.

Indeed, it was the very fact that Central States Funds were found to be subject to outside influences several decades ago that the Government now has a monitoring role over the Central States Funds as a result of a Consent Decree. The last thing Trustees of the Central States Funds are going to do is respond to political pressure from TDU or anyone else.

Simply put, the Teamsters Union does not control the Central States Fund.

The only thing the Teamsters Union can do is negotiate the strongest contracts possible, balancing the members’ needs for wages and health benefits today with pensions and health care in retirement. And the Teamsters have done that, recently negotiating the richest UPS and Freight contracts in history, which have provided good wages, and secured our pension and health benefits as well as can be expected.

Secondly, while the CSPF has its own trustees, fiduciaries, and government overseers, the Teamsters Union is currently conducting its own analysis to make sure that the Fund is being well-managed and that Teamster pensions remain secure. Last November the IBT hired Independent Fiduciary Services (IFS) and Watson Wyatt Worldwide, two highly-respected auditors/actuaries, to perform an independent assessment of the CSPF’s investments and condition in light of the stock market decline of the last few years.

Finally, General President Hoffa is paying close attention to developments in the Central States and other Teamster Funds, something that the previous Administration did not do.

Mikey,

My father passed some years ago so you can keep him out of all this.

Also, I am not equating us with mobsters. Did not say or imply anyone was stupid.

It is a waste of everyones time to go back and forth with this unless people can actually share "facts" to the subject and back them up with reference. 14+ billion underfunded is a fact and it will not catch up by us just adding members. It's like a cat chasing its tail. Ford can't/couldn't continue to go down the same old path and expect to compete with Toyota, they had to make changes etc... Same thing here. I would rather face the tough decision now and know the outcome versus doing the same old and then wait for the dreaded unknown.

But I will go with this, just like I said in the other forum, mark these posts down and we will just have to see how it plays out.