FedEx Freight | Anybody Know When City Bids

Below is an except from the policy. Few if any centers actually follow it to a T 100% of the time.

The process of actually assigning equipment will take into account many considerations including, but not limited to, the following, not in any order of importance except for the first one:

• Other considerations being equal, reasonable application of seniority privileges (center job classification) as a reward for service to FedEx Freight.

• The suitability of equipment for the job, considering such factors as terrain, length of peddle, mileage, climate, load factor, power requirements, equipment configuration, etc.

• The need to run equipment where legally permitted.

• The need to maximize resources and meet customer expectations.

• Support mileage goals for road tractors.

Tractor Assignments

The city tractor assignments will only include L (local) and re-classed road tractors. Assignments for city tractors will last until the unit is 4 years old or it is traded in. Assignment for a re-classed road tractor will last until the unit is 8 years old or it is traded in. If a driver voluntarily bids off of a peddle route (i.e., CDSA choosing a dock bid at a hub or transferring to the road), they will relinquish their assigned tractor.

Local tractors will be used over a road tractor. However, some peddle routes and situations may require the use of a road unit. In this case, local leadership and Transportation will make the best decision possible, again based on factors such as length of peddle, terrain, etc.

Local leadership will ensure that all local units are assigned to P&D operations prior to the assignment of any road unit, with the exception when a road unit is more suitable for the route.

Initial Bidding/Assignment Process

Each SC will conduct a local tractor bid to initiate the process. The initial tractor bid will be done in order of job class seniority.

Procedure

13 Driver Manual: Lesson 14 – Bidding of Runs and Tractor Assignments Procedure

CDSAs may elect to pass on their opportunity to bid a local or re-class tractor only if the number of available city or re-class tractors remaining is less than the number of total tractors still needed for the P&D operation.

Local leadership will assign available road units to those CDSAs who passed or do not have a tractor assigned. Assignment will be based on factors such as the timing needed for the road runs and city operation, supporting the mileage goals for the road tractor.

From the time of the initial bid forward, any new, available, or re-domiciled equipment will fall under the distribution of new equipment guidelines.

Distribution of New Equipment

New, re-domiciled, or available equipment will be bid in order of job class seniority to those drivers in tractors 4 years or older for city units and 8 years or older for re-classed units.

Any driver who currently has an assigned city tractor that is less than 4 years old or a re-classed tractor that is less than 8 years old will not be eligible to bid on a new city tractor or re-classed tractors.

CDSAs who have not had the opportunity to bid a tractor or chose to pass on the initial tractor bid will also have the opportunity to bid on a new tractor.

Road equipment will be assigned to specific bid start times that meet certain criteria:

Each SC will conduct a local tractor bid to initiate the process. The initial tractor bid will be done in order of job class seniority.

Would a unassigned city driver by choice be considered under the same job class as lets say a 8am start time city driver?
I guess my main question is, should a unassigned city driver get skipped on the tractor bid just because he chose a unassigned start time?

Would a unassigned city driver by choice be considered under the same job class as lets say a 8am start time city driver?
I guess my main question is, should a unassigned city driver get skipped on the tractor bid just because he chose a unassigned start time?
I don't see any mention of a way to differenciate type of bid.

Start time has no effect on job class seniority. For example, the most senior driver could conceivably pick the last unassigned slot, if he was looking for less hours.

The only effect there might be a limited selection (or no option) of a road unit, due only to compatibility issues.

I don't see any mention of a way to differenciate type of bid.

Start time has no effect on job class seniority. For example, the most senior driver could conceivably pick the last unassigned slot, if he was looking for less hours.

The only effect there might be a limited selection (or no option) of a road unit, due only to compatibility issues.

At our center, senior city guys pick bottom unassigned spots to avoid city driving and get first dibs on daytime road runs.

I was told City bids for start time is once a year.
Anybody know when the City Drivers will rebid start time & Tractor??
City bids shifted to three times a year. We will bid in a week or two for a new bid starting in April. This also applies to Road.

Road bids 3 times a year now, started last bid in December, so our next bis takes effect April 1st or so with yearly tractor bid at the same time

Road bids 3 times a year now, started last bid in December, so our next bis takes effect April 1st or so...
Not necessarily...

fyJdaJ0.jpg