ABF | Arcbest Corporation (arcb) Ceo Judy Mcreynolds On Q2 2019 Results - Earnings Call Transcript

Freightmaster1

TB Legend
Credits
David Humphrey

All right. Did you record for the annual union profit-sharing bonus in the second quarter. If so, how much did you record?

David Cobb

David, let me take that again. In the 8-K we released yesterday afternoon with our earnings release, we provided some additional details and information on how this mechanism will work. And I would reiterate some of that information, starting with that the payout could be from 1% to 3% of annual earnings for qualifying union employees. And in estimating that impact, remember to understand that 1% of ABF Freight's annual union employee earnings would equal approximately $5 million to $6 million of bonus -- of union bonus expense. But we internally project a payout of this bonus, we would accrue for that expected annual expense throughout the year and it will be included in our quarterly results. However, as you all know, we don't provide public updates on our projected operating ratio, and so we won't be commenting on our expectations for paying the union bonus. However, if your financial models reflect an operating ratio that meets the bonus payout ratio, then we would encourage you to include expenses for the union bonus in your quarterly and annual earnings projections of our company. And just as a reminder, our Asset-Based operating ratio in the first half of the year was 95.3%.

and

David Humphrey

Okay, we've got a question about whether there was any update from Washington, D.C. on multiemployer pension reform. Judy, you want to take that one?

Judy McReynolds

Sure. Thanks on the number of conversations that we've had with other interested parties, after passing in the house, we believe the likelihood that the Butch Lewis Act will be passed in the Senate is low. We're continuing to work with those other interested parties to explore both the Butch Lewis approach and alternative approaches to address the impending insolvency of many of these pension plans. And we certainly remain hopeful that some solution will be found to address this problem. But we do stay close to these issues, we stay involved in the process and we'll continue to provide updates as we have them.

So it is more profitable to use our own people instead of outsourcing on rail, purchased transportation etc. Just goes to show when one company does it the others want it, money see monkey do....

Who needs Union drivers we don't have to pay pension, heath and welfare for these guys! The worst part the Business Agent will give you some sob story how the company has to be competitive back in the day non-union drivers or contractors would not be allowed ran off the property plus work stoppage.

At least with this contract, a road drivers can make a 1 time transfer to the bottom of a city board

Ahh,....You mean similar to what FedEx or XPO allows their road drivers to do,..once they subcontract out all their road runs?

25 years seniority on the road,....and now you're bottom man in the city,.....Home deliveries, Turnkeys, food warehouses, hand unloads.......

I don't see where that's a positive improvement......

If I was a road driver,...and they eliminated my road run,...sure as Heck, I'd be filing a grievance if there wasn't a re-bid of the road board.
And,...if they eliminated the entire road operation at a certain terminal,......it could only happen under a COO,.....in which case, I'd sure as Heck retain my seniority bidding into a city board , or following my work.......

I'd have a hard time, Rollin62......giving up my seniority......Can't see where a road driver might want to do that,...unless he's completely sick of the road.....

Ahh,....You mean similar to what FedEx or XPO allows their road drivers to do,..once they subcontract out all their road runs?

25 years seniority on the road,....and now you're bottom man in the city,.....Home deliveries, Turnkeys, food warehouses, hand unloads.......

If I was a road driver,...and they eliminated my road run,...sure as Heck, I'd be filing a grievance if there wasn't a re-bid of the road board.
And,...if they eliminated the entire road operation at a certain terminal,......it could only happen under a COO,.....in which case, I'd sure as Heck retain my seniority bidding into a city board , or following my work.......

I'd have a hard time, Rollin62......giving up my seniority......Can't see where a road driver might want to do that,...unless he's completely sick of the road.....

Only in the Carolinas, when a road, city, dock or switcher job came open, it was put up for bid.
Anyone could bid on these jobs and keep your seniority, however going to the road you stayed on extraboard until bid time, we bid each 6 mos.

Good morning Canary,
At Xpo city and road can bid back and forth and hold seniority.

Good morning Canary,
At Xpo city and road can bid back and forth and hold seniority.

Good Morning, Sir!........I have some friends who work for XPO in Irwin, Pa. They lost a few of their longer road runs to truckload carriers......Their guys were told they had to go to the bottom of the City board until the annual bidding period came up.

No Change of Operations......No immediate bidding due to job/income loss.......Just; "That's the Way It Is..."

I didn't think that was fair,....and neither did my friends at XPO.

It is good that the ...pain...can only last until the bidding period. I also understand that rules for this are different from terminal to terminal/region. Some may have a more equitable way of....transferring work lost.

Good Morning, Sir!........I have some friends who work for XPO in Irwin, Pa. They lost a few of their longer road runs to truckload carriers......Their guys were told they had to go to the bottom of the City board until the annual bidding period came up.

No Change of Operations......No immediate bidding due to job/income loss.......Just; "That's the Way It Is..."

I didn't think that was fair,....and neither did my friends at XPO.

It is good that the ...pain...can only last until the bidding period. I also understand that rules for this are different from terminal to terminal/region. Some may have a more equitable way of....transferring work lost.
That is not fair. XPO is getting more messed up as time goes on. I'm glad I only have a few years left.

I can attest to how bad that sucks from my time at Con-job... we’d have guys jump back and forth between city and road. All it did was ensure that unless you were above a certain place on the seniority list, you were going to most assuredly go backward come bid time. I was there 3 years and was about the same place in job selection as I was the day I started.