ODFL | Are we going to see a recession and layoffs in the next year or so?

Walmart, yeah.
Dollar stores are for people too low in IQ to understand that they're paying the poor tax, and spending about 30% more by going to DG or FD.
Almost like financing a new truck for 96 months and rolling over the deficiency from your trade. Some will never get it. Look at the employees parking lot at any freight company to see who doesn’t realize there are cycles in the economy.

Or lottery tickets. Another good poor tax.

Public schools keep the poor tax alive and well too by not teaching what they should as far as economics.

You don’t need a credit card to build a good credit score.

Almost forgot to mention a new Lund bass boat too. Who can really be a star of the white trash chronicles without one of them?!?!?!

Hold this thread open for me, I gotta go get a new tattoo because I got a “skip a payment” voucher in the mail!

Before anyone gets butt hurt, I am speaking from experience.

I used to be good at only looking at the monthly bills. I’m glad I got that part of my life out of the way fairly early.

My Lund was paid off on a 72 months plan about 9 years ago and I still have it. She’s old, expensive to maintain, but an absolute blast to this day.

Walmart, yeah.
Dollar stores are for people too low in IQ to understand that they're paying the poor tax, and spending about 30% more by going to DG or FD.
I wish you had told me this before I spent all that money at D G for Mason jars to bury my pension money in the backyard.
I guess that's what's expected when you have a 46 IQ!

Actually I crave my altoona pretezels. The DS has it here for a buck and quarter a bag.

WM sells that for three times more. F that.

What I keep a eye on is the Pawn Shop. The crash of 2008 gave me a 32 inch vizo TV LED etc for less than 200 bucks, manual, orig box, all wires etc. where retail was about a thousand then.

Friend bought a TV with the same ability and size for 100 retail in WM a couple of years ago. I am getting ready to replace a few monitors as they are getting long in the tooth. The Vizo is doing ok. But just generates too much heat now. So I'll plop a 40 incher on there.

Walmart, yeah.
Some of us make choices that are not based solely on how cheap the product is. I don't have Walmart in my hometown, and would rather my sales taxes go to my local government instead of enriching neighboring cities.

Also, if you have a DG Market, basically a DG with a full grocery store inside, you may find their prices largely competitive. The selection, less so. But I compared a few staple items recently to see how they're priced against our nearest Walmart (20 miles away), and our DG Market is right on-par.

Important to my recent habits, DG Market beats pretty much every other grocery store on mineral water. I buy the stuff from the Mexican food aisle, Mineragua. Lately, it's 3 for $3, which keeps me in fizzy water for the better part of month. That price isn't touched by pretty much any other store (most don't even carry Mineragua), except maybe Aldi, where everything seems to be cheaper than anywhere else. But Aldi also is 20+ miles from home, so the deals are often not worth the travel time and expense.

Some of us make choices that are not based solely on how cheap the product is. I don't have Walmart in my hometown, and would rather my sales taxes go to my local government instead of enriching neighboring cities.

Also, if you have a DG Market, basically a DG with a full grocery store inside, you may find their prices largely competitive. The selection, less so. But I compared a few staple items recently to see how they're priced against our nearest Walmart (20 miles away), and our DG Market is right on-par.

Important to my recent habits, DG Market beats pretty much every other grocery store on mineral water. I buy the stuff from the Mexican food aisle, Mineragua. Lately, it's 3 for $3, which keeps me in fizzy water for the better part of month. That price isn't touched by pretty much any other store (most don't even carry Mineragua), except maybe Aldi, where everything seems to be cheaper than anywhere else. But Aldi also is 20+ miles from home, so the deals are often not worth the travel time and expense.
We poor folks with the Teamster pension must watch our pennies.
We look for bargains that go good with squirrel gravy.
D G has 100 % whole Wheat for $1.50, try that at Food Lion.

Honestly I hate to be that way but just look around . I want to buy a truck , but no way I'm not paying MSRP for anything I'll just keep my 250K GMC . Look at foodstuffs , same price but less product . How about fuel that is bad and summer is not even here yet . Good Lord I know this sounds stupid but I have friends that race and have you looked at the price of a 55 gallon of 110 Sunoco ? It's race with no hamburgers afterwards or my favorite HOT DOGS man . Some guys said they (Mom and Pop teams - local stuff) are sitting it out this year . We are glad the house and farm are paid off and we only have medical bills that are paid every month . Yea , less hot dog and beer money , we stay home and that sure does not help any local friends with taverns . Hey if they need less then it's not going on our trucks plain and simple....

Good luck , hanging in there with you my friend .
SMOKESTACK
Hey Smoke I feel terrible for you....start a go fund me page for your hot dog enjoyment for the summer and I will be the first in line to contribute....

Average grocery bill is up $50 per week, gas double, yes this causes a recession.
The Geniuses on CNBC cannot figure this out and I don't know why. The traders are saying the bottom is in and it is up from here. 47% of the population live paycheck to paycheck. What happens when they go to charge something on their credit card and the transaction is declined due to at credit maximum. This is when things will really slow down yet so many people around don't see it.

Walmart, yeah.
About 10 years ago someone at Dollar General was reading a response to a marketing survey that someone responded to. The question posed was,
"....Why do you like shopping at Dollar General...."?
The response was, "....BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE TO DRESS UP LIKE I HAVE TO TO GO TO WAL-MART...."....
This was an actual marketing survey and an actual response.

DS and DG is parasitical in a way.

There is one not far from here that we consider to be a bad store. Not necessarily bad from being the kind of store they are, but rather the really awful morale displayed by a dispirited and rebellious staff of two trying to run the store.

Werner just dumped a trailer full into the side receiving room behind the side dock after backing across a divided highway into a parking lot with cars coming and going around it as its trying to dock. The employees are confronted with a single pile of ::shit:: higher than a human in that side room. All piled together needing to be priced, barcoded, sorted, and put up on the shelves that have become grimy and rusty with floors becoming sticky to the boots.

Its not worth the effort and potential loss of a vehicle, getting shot, getting abused by the staffers and so on. But the clientele who flood the place have no money for the nicer walmart across town. Economically they are trapped and dependant on a once a week tractor trailer bringing them foods and so on close to expiring dates at a price way lower than in the nicer stores.

Oh and they get robbed about once or twice every few months. Most of the time we dont notice until the Law shows up and shakes everyone present. Another DS in Jacksonville had a customer killed outright stone dead right there at the doors when refusing a demand to hand over the stuff at gunpoint. The Parasite was eventually run to earth.

As a driver I have had Corporate ask me with a zeal of a Groom seeking to shotgun a bride at a lavish wedding on promises of all sorts of perks to sign on to running dedicated for Family Dollar, Dollar Stores and the like.

You could offer me a million in cash tax free a week and I would not run that kind of account. Nope No way. Im not that stupid. What I am is a driver who wants to run the miles each week with the least hassle no lumping and no effort or waiting. Just go.

I think people that receive food stamp should only get a certain type of food like the WIC program. I was shopping at Costco this weekend and my cart was barely full and spent 300. This lady in front of me had 2 carts full and paid with food stamp. Saw her outside loading her brand new SUV while I load my little sedan . Sheet ain’t fair.
Learn how to squirrel hunt and cut down on that grocery bill!

I think people that receive food stamp should only get a certain type of food like the WIC program. I was shopping at Costco this weekend and my cart was barely full and spent 300. This lady in front of me had 2 carts full and paid with food stamp. Saw her outside loading her brand new SUV while I load my little sedan . Sheet ain’t fair.
The SNAP program only paid 16.00 for one person, no children.

To a parent with one child I think it paid 250.00 a month. With four it paid like a thousand.

There is food benefits and also in some cases cash benefits. Anyone making 1190 or less gross a month can be on snap.

They are supposed to enforce a ban on certain food items via SNAP but everyone pays lip service to increase the sales. I used SNAP temporarly during the COVID time instead of 16.00 a month Uncle Sam via Arkansas paid about 190 to 220.00 a month just for me for a period of time. They revoked that card when income got too much over. (More than covers the current food budget anyway dont need SNAP anymore.)

But.. there were or are supposed to be about 38 million on SNAP every day. So there is a hell of alot of money going out to fatten America up.

As far as the vehicle, in SNAP rules you are allowed one vehicle. No distinction is made of what kind of vehicle or value. It could be a 10 million dollar plush bus yacht and its still lawful. And you are not allowed to have over 2000.00 in bank assets or cash etc on hand.

Here in Arkansas Ive seen mammys come out of the checkout line with a cart or two stuffed with brand name chicken fixings and huge amounts of pulled pork and so on. Plus several other carts. Its disgusting.

Some time last year our Arkansas Governor ended the Covid Emergency which by direction and order specifically ended Covid related Federal Assistance so for many people SNAP stopped and had zero value. He also ended the renters rescue program as well. Something like 140 million dollars for roughly 30,000 past due tenants that was returned to Uncle Sam.