TForce | Article 5 sec 2

I am a manager and have had to lay off. I followed the rules and we bumped our lowest seniority person to part-time (casual) and bumped the casual to the street. As I understand it, when the bumped driver does dock work he will be paid the part-time dock worker rate of $10.50/hr, when I need to use him to run a volume he gets paid his full P&D rate, where ever he falls in the progression. The contract does have to much "gray" and we need to work together to make things work.

Allthough I agree we must work together to make this company profitable deezer , as well as making the contract work, for the sake of the first statement I made,( and by the way welcome to the boards) according to the "MOU" just published, a fulltime person who bumps to a part time position gets his fulltime rate now. I also have an issue with PU&D drivers getting $.50 cents less for working the dock for a period of time in the AM prior to his or her departure. Most of this is due to bad departure times at our breakbulk in the northeast.

If a roaddriver will now be paid fullrate for drop and hooks and dockwork, why should PU&D drivers be knickeled and dimed to death for working limited time on the dock. In our case it's 1-2 hours in some instances.

And here is the thread for the MOU.
http://www.truckingboards.com/truck...9-ups-freight-national-dessions-new-post.html

This opportunity to collect unemployment is bs to quite a few of the dock workers where i am from. It came time for a layoff and they were told that they could bump to part-time dock with the bottom pay scale for part time or take layoff and recieve more money on it. They all chose to take layoff. This was right around Christmas time and there insurance was cancelled they were payed out all of their vacation time in one lump sum and when they came back to work in late April they still hadn't collected the first dime of unemployment. Now, it has been agreed upon that anyone getting bumped from full time to part time will remain getting top rate but only at 4hrs instead of 8.

This opportunity to collect unemployment is bs to quite a few of the dock workers where i am from. It came time for a layoff and they were told that they could bump to part-time dock with the bottom pay scale for part time or take layoff and recieve more money on it. They all chose to take layoff. This was right around Christmas time and there insurance was cancelled they were payed out all of their vacation time in one lump sum and when they came back to work in late April they still hadn't collected the first dime of unemployment. Now, it has been agreed upon that anyone getting bumped from full time to part time will remain getting top rate but only at 4hrs instead of 8.

There was no guarantee for anyone on layoff before they got layed off (to be at the bottom of the list means being in the 10%, no guarantee at all). Why didn't you collect unemployement? Did you not file correctly? My guys all got it. Where does it say you get vacation pay out at layoff? Again, you have to question all these thing when they happen not long after.

My vacation payout was processed the week prior to my even being notified I was going to be laid off.
As far as the unemployment benefits went - I was able to collect full benefits after the one week waiting period by using a letter faxed to me from the terminal manager showing I was to be laid off. I was employeed on a part time basis with another company while laid off and was still able to collect partial benefits.
I will tell you - when I returned to work, I had benefit issues and contacted the HR and payroll department - it was then that I was told I was "accidentally terminated" in the system. Without going into details of the whole mess - I would advise if you are having trouble with collecting unemployment benefits, you should call and speak with a person in the HR and payroll department to see what your employment status is. At this point, I show up in the system as never having been laid off, just "accidentally terminated". Computer glitches can create problems you couldnt even imagine. Just a suggestion to throw out there, you never know what might help.

The problem the guys at my barn had was that the company would not give the unemployment office their records of pay so they didn't know what to pay them. This was being handled as soon as they were not getting it, it just took the company a while to do what they should have done from day one.

Just got back on and found this old thread. As it turns out, we won the grievances on paying laid off full-timers casual worker rates. I think that is a good thing, to an extent. The fallout will be that the company will be very hesitant each and every time they hire a full-timer. If I owned a company I would want to retain the right to decide how many full-time and part-time employees I need. That was my original point.

There will always be a need for casual dock help at this company. With the eight hour guarantee it would be impossible to effectively schedule your inbound and outbound help and not everyone is needed for eight hours. My point is that if all were full-time, making $23 and soon to be $26 the costs to the dock would be incredible and turning a profit would be impossible.

What you will now see is the casual with CDL and good luck getting one of them to be full-time. They will make $15 and will work for years before getting full-time status. You call that a win? You have to think a little further a head sometimes. Imagine if the package contract allowed laid off drivers the ability to work the dock for their full-time rate. I don't think it happens. Maybe I'm wrong. I've been wrong before.