TForce | Article 5 sec 2

:USA:You must understand one thing casuals cannot be laid off they are not full time. You just stop using them thats all. If all laid off men are called for work and some won't come in and more men are needed then the company can call in casuals. A laid off man is always worked before casuals. Remember its your work don't give it away.:realmad:

:USA:You must understand one thing casuals cannot be laid off they are not full time. You just stop using them thats all. If all laid off men are called for work and some won't come in and more men are needed then the company can call in casuals. A laid off man is always worked before casuals. Remember its your work don't give it away.:realmad:

Problem is that the company was forcing guys to take a 40% pay cut in order to not be laid off.

Every casual at our barn was laid off till this week. Came back from my route today and there they all were on the dock. I think only 1 or 2 of our full time employees may have missed a couple days that were real slow & those guys were always offered work they just chose not to come in and work the dock.

seems to me that the teamster/ups frt thing went way to easy, with overnight old management not putting up any fight! are our dues going to cigar smoken,high 5en back room bosses that meet for poker at the ups/teamster bar?

seems to me that the teamster/ups frt thing went way to easy, with overnight old management not putting up any fight! are our dues going to cigar smoken,high 5en back room bosses that meet for poker at the ups/teamster bar?

Yes you are correct, you win the prize behind door number 1!!!!!:clap:

Layoff

I am a manager and have had to lay off. I followed the rules and we bumped our lowest seniority person to part-time (casual) and bumped the casual to the street. As I understand it, when the bumped driver does dock work he will be paid the part-time dock worker rate of $10.50/hr, when I need to use him to run a volume he gets paid his full P&D rate, where ever he falls in the progression. The contract does have to much "gray" and we need to work together to make things work.

deezer52, First Welcome....

I sooo agree with you we need to have a honest and sincere sharing of communication....thanks for joining in...

...but.....
..you knew that was coming,right....

I must say I disagree in your mans rate of pay.Unless he is in progression he should receive the top rate at whatever job he is performing per Article 26.

To my knowledge a employee doesn`t loose his/hers job progression in a layoff. They just receive the rate at what job they are performing.....per Art.26 Sec.1,para. c or d respectively...correct me if mis-understand your position but a employee doesn't loose progression in a lay-off but only a job postion..?

..but again thanks for joining in...don`t be a stranger..jump in..togetter we can navigate these rough spots..:beerchug:

I am a manager and have had to lay off. I followed the rules and we bumped our lowest seniority person to part-time (casual) and bumped the casual to the street. The contract does have to much "gray" and we need to work together to make things work.(paraphrased)
Wow, if only all management were as enlightened as you as to actually give a damn!
We might have buried YRC by now (as UPS wants to do)!
Most managers are so busy trying to "skirt" the contract that the big picture is completely lost on them.
We're working harder fighting each other than we are at gaining market %!!
Can't blame the contract for that when you have labor relations guys fighting over the simplistic crap they're choosing to fight about!

I am a manager and have had to lay off. I followed the rules and we bumped our lowest seniority person to part-time (casual) and bumped the casual to the street. As I understand it, when the bumped driver does dock work he will be paid the part-time dock worker rate of $10.50/hr, when I need to use him to run a volume he gets paid his full P&D rate, where ever he falls in the progression. The contract does have to much "gray" and we need to work together to make things work.

deezer52, Please enlighten Me!

Which rule did You and other managers follow?

This is an Overnite - way of doing things... not a UPSFA understanding!

So, where's the "gray" in that?

Deezer as well as all managers and supervisers have been to labor management classes and have been shown how to handle many types of scenarios including layoffs, in those classes they even roleplayed different situations.

In these classes they went over our contract line by line and were told what responses to give when employees grieve on certian articles.

Here is another way to look at, it in the old way, the company use to pay HR millions of dollars to settle complaints between the company and the employees.

The new way, the employees pay the union to do what the company use to pay the HR department to do.

NO full time worker will get part time pay, and if he is a 90% when you put him to work he is gaurenteed 8 hours!

Though I don't know your particular terminal, I had absolutely no cooperation from management. It took relentless ball breaking and grievances to get mangement to work together with us, and believe me when I tell you this, they only did after we broke their back. So, as far as working together; I for one find that laughable. I'll work to keep the peace, but never will I forget the past. Now that you lost the war, you want peace? There will be peace, on our terms.

if ups can bump a full-time driver to part time dock, how long untill they start bumping full-time dock to part time dock due to lack of work???

my question is if they continue to hire part time employees can they say that there is not enough work for a full timer and bump them back to part time? as they do with the drivers?

if ups can bump a full-time driver to part time dock, how long untill they start bumping full-time dock to part time dock due to lack of work???

my question is if they continue to hire part time employees can they say that there is not enough work for a full timer and bump them back to part time? as they do with the drivers?
THE COMPANY CANNOT DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!:TR10driving03:

Nik;

If the company does not have the ability to manage the number of full-time vs. part-time work force then they will not hire anymore full-timers unless they know it's 100% not going to bite them in the end. Every one of these supposed victories that we've attained has come at a price and they will protect themselves at all costs.

I personally don't see anything wrong with a system where when work gets slow the company can lay off 10 full-time drivers who are given the opportunity to collect unemployment or bump a casual and continue working at a lower rate. The alternative is that they can not lay off any of the full-timers and instead have to deplete their dock worker staff and fill it up with drivers who have no interest in even doing that work. It would wind up costing them more money and they'd get far less production.

Realize, my friend, that we lost a half of a BILLION dollars in just three months at the end of last year. Costs need to be cut and if you're suggesting handcuffing them in their ability to do that then we'll be here in a few months debating a 10% giveback from everyone. You have to think about both sides sometimes and the protection of your job is also contingent on this company being profitable. They're not going to let us all drive around in a truck if they're not making money while we're doing it.

It is not our job as truck drivers to worry about how the company will make monies, if the company is foolish in the way it uses it's monies , then it will pay the price wether we are teamsters or not. furthermore the monies we have lost last year were "goodwill impairments" this does not signify a significant gain or loss it is just manipulation of #'s. for thier benifit.

In referance to fulltime drivers working before casuals I am in full agreement with, this is what the company sighned on for and this is what they shall get, if the company sees it is an issue the company will renegotiate for better or worse at the next contractual negotiations, besides we have already taken a significant hit with the abomination of INS. we have.