XPO | Assest Allocation

ClearBlack

TB Lurker
Credits
I am new to this 401k biz, so I am learning as I go. I get the general impression it is wise to not leave all your eggs in one basket. But at the same time, im not sure exactly "where" to allocate my contributions.

AS of now, my portfolio %'s are as follows:

2.3% Conway Common Stock
97.7% Retirement 2040 Fund

I am now 31 yrs of age. Lets say Conway is still here when I retire in 31 yrs at age 62(or whatever age it is by then) My weekly contribution % is currently 10. Am I on track for a good retirement?? I have no way to guage anything......Im hopeless...:hide:

Ive been trying to educate myself of 401k's but dont know if I am getting it or not. The 2040 fund appears to be professionally allocated for me, so was it a mistake to add the Conway Stock?

Could any of you tell me where your contributions are allocated to.

I am new to this 401k biz, so I am learning as I go. I get the general impression it is wise to not leave all your eggs in one basket. But at the same time, im not sure exactly "where" to allocate my contributions.

2.3% Conway Common Stock

I am now 31 yrs of age. Lets say Conway is still here when I retire in 31 yrs at age 62(or whatever age it is by then) My weekly contribution % is currently 10. Am I on track for a good retirement?? I have no way to guage anything......Im hopeless...:hide:

Ive been trying to educate myself of 401k's but dont know if I am getting it or not. The 2040 fund appears to be professionally allocated for me, so was it a mistake to add the Conway Stock?

If you look under "power tools" on the troweprice website, it can show you how much money you will have at retirement with your current elections and contributrions.

I do keep about 20% of my 401K in the money marker(cash). You never know what can happen. but, yeah don't keep everything in one place. Change it up. but, keep most of it in the 2040 retirement. Just my opinion.

I do keep about 20% of my 401K in the money marker(cash). You never know what can happen. but, yeah don't keep everything in one place. Change it up. but, keep most of it in the 2040 retirement. Just my opinion.

And the money market cash gives you chance to buy at market lows.....also:1036316054:

2.3% Conway Common Stock

At your age clear I would put 80% stocks 10% bond fund and 10% money:1036316054: market. DO NOT keep 80% in the 2040 fund, and DO NOT put more than 25% Into CNW, this is a rule of thumb, hope it helps!

T. Rowe has partnered with the Morningstar Co. in providing many tools to help you with your pension fund. All is obtainable through the T. Rowe site. One goal is to create a diversified portfolio mirroring the S&P 500 (although the stock market sucks right now). Company stock is two part, common stock and preferred stock. Common is public and preferred is private. Regarding keeping the eggs out of one basket... I sell off the common stock (dump it into another fund)whenever it gets a cash value of about $1000. The preferred is compounded twice a year at 4.25%. This does not flucuate... 8 1/2 points annually ain't bad.
Calculation tools are available to help you decide where you want to be at retirement and what it will take to get there. The 10% contribution that you mentioned can be auto increased over a period of years to help attain your goals. About a year ago I spent most of a day getting self-taught on the T. Rowe site. Up to that day I had not touched my fund since inception (16+ years). I had a lot of value sitting there not making me a dime... very conservative! After adjusting my funds I now take the time every 6 months to check and adjust things. For last year the first three quarters netted me about $3000 each in gains, however the fourth quarter (it was a good period for the stock market also) netted me gains of over $10,000. I was (and am) very happy that I took the time to learn all this stuff.
Additionally, you will be a lot better off if you also take the time to learn retirement options outside of your retirement fund and just how the whole thing works. Along with paying an adviser you may also find a retirement seminar in your community to attend. The biggest change in how we do retirement is that the burden of responsibility now falls on us as individuals instead of a corporation, and this trend is nationwide. My wife works for one of the largest insurance companies and they get a whopping three choices in their 401's.

My wife's 401k isn't that great either,very few choices to invest in.Although she has managed to make a 10% return over the last year.I don't know a lot about other companies 401K's,but I think we have a pretty decent one and T Rowe Price is very helpful.

My wife's 401k isn't that great either,very few choices to invest in.Although she has managed to make a 10% return over the last year.I don't know a lot about other companies 401K's,but I think we have a pretty decent one and T Rowe Price is very helpful.

I agree. T. Rowe Price is pretty good with their customer service. You can pretty much learn alot about your 401K on their very informative website. You can even branch off the Con-way version and invest in your own through them.
Time for people to start hitting up that site and educating themselves. (seeing that the Pension has been eliminated)