ODFL | Autonomous trucks are getting closer

OD will probably be near the front of the line to buy autonomous trucks when they are available. Looking right at linehaul. I know my TM will be thrilled the day he can show linehaul drivers the door.
When on rolls up to your terminal, let him back it in.

Southern linehaul drivers be screwed,, maybe that the real reason Od getting automatics

Hey Driver, fetch that bot trailer and dock it in door 4.

Righto.

Thats not trucking.... not worthy of my mountain all weather experience in most of North America. Essentially a valet parking dookie at minimum wage caring nursemaid to a robot tractor trailer.

I frankly am nauseated at such a future..... its against my nature as a Trucker damn it.

I am horrified at the thousands of fresh 18 year olds bedazzled with the idea of actually getting keys to a 40 ton 18 wheeler robot filled with all kinds of ::shit:: to move from there to here. Or here to there.

They would be walking 10 feet tall pretending to be actual truckers in their flip flops.

I hope the damn management chokes on their precious bot trucks when they are all jammed in the gate yard spinning out on a bit of frosty or ice trying to be docked. And need a 80 ton Captian hook with a real recovery pro on hand 24/7.

Then again they can cover the whole property in a giant roof. Solar panel the whole thing and make it a total heated and cooled facility. Cushy.

Righto.

Thats not trucking.... not worthy of my mountain all weather experience in most of North America. Essentially a valet parking dookie at minimum wage caring nursemaid to a robot tractor trailer.

I frankly am nauseated at such a future..... its against my nature as a Trucker damn it.

I am horrified at the thousands of fresh 18 year olds bedazzled with the idea of actually getting keys to a 40 ton 18 wheeler robot filled with all kinds of **** to move from there to here. Or here to there.

They would be walking 10 feet tall pretending to be actual truckers in their flip flops.

I hope the damn management chokes on their precious bot trucks when they are all jammed in the gate yard spinning out on a bit of frosty or ice trying to be docked. And need a 80 ton Captian hook with a real recovery pro on hand 24/7.

Then again they can cover the whole property in a giant roof. Solar panel the whole thing and make it a total heated and cooled facility. Cushy.
Wait till them bit trucks detect a bit of ice and shut down for safety. Dispatch won't be able to threaten that drivers job anymore.

Autonomous trucks will replace most if not all OTR and truck load drivers. They will never be useful in local delivery.
The first plan is a driver pulling a rig with the auto vehicle running behind him.
This will reduce 50% of the pay overhead.

Autonomous trucks will replace most if not all OTR and truck load drivers. They will never be useful in local delivery.
The first plan is a driver pulling a rig with the auto vehicle running behind him.
This will reduce 50% of the pay overhead.
Better hurry up and find a new line of work, before all the out of work road drivers get them…

I keep thinking of a cashier in Walmart decades ago when they were a smaller operation that were not in any particular drive for profits.

This lady was tired. Burned out. Sick of the drama kind of thing. Customer in front of me had been stockpiling candy bars. The brand and type escapes me thinking that far back. Anyway she had cases from the shelf piled on the conveyor.

Cashier opens a case. Something like 48 bars in it. Carefully examines and counts for product name, count verification and carefully taps all that ::shit:: into the computer cash register which was a new thing with the alpha numberic pad causing people to line up a dozen deep in that little walmart store. (There is a little wally world and a really big wally world. The difference is the little one only had like 3 cashiers while the big one had 50...)

Anyway. after carefully tapping all that ::shit:: into that poor tiny keypad and entering the price 1.48... she sighs.. finally. Taps the add button. Places the candy bar back into the case itself... proceeds to pick up the entire case which was like a two foot by one foot box.

Passes it over the scanner.

BIP! 1.48 x 48

Next case, next case next case. The subtotal grew exponetially.

Bip bip bip bip and bip.

Thats 48 cases per bip.

Even today I wonder how that all worked out after all that careful tapping of the candy bar into the computer.

Righto.

I am horrified at the thousands of fresh 18 year olds bedazzled with the idea of actually getting keys to a 40 ton 18 wheeler robot filled with all kinds of **** to move from there to here. Or here to there.

Hold that thought while I key in that command.

They can test and publicize all they want, until there are major infrastructure upgrades it isn't going to happen on a large scale. The liability thing alone will stop it in its tracks, until there is dedicated truck roads or lanes there is entirely too much traffic to function on a large scale. Too many variables.
Go get a couple of Popular Mechanics or Popular Science from the 60's or 70's, they have us in flying cars and living on the moon, robot servants, the autonomous vehicles are wishful thinking in large quantities for a while yet. IMHO of course.