Bankrupt Trucker Celadon Told Laid-off Employees That .....

Bankrupt trucker Celadon told laid-off employees that they've lost health insurance and won't receive unused-vacation-time pay — read the full letter here
https://www.businessinsider.com/trucking-bloodbath-celadon-employees-no-pto-health-insurance-2019-12
this is to be expected, and it sucks.

i have not had any loyalty towards an employer for decades.

went thru some BS when i ran for a company, that had the DHL account. i was on my way back from Allentown, PA, and i got a call (yes we could talk on the phones back then) and i was told my run was no longer effective immediately. i said to the supervisor in Ohio that called me, "ok, i'm parking the truck, and getting a ride home"...(i was on I-95 in CT near the Waterford scales.

he then quickly said, "no, you cannot do that"

i said, "you just told me i don't have my job anymore"

"uh, ok, listen, take it back to the sorting center, and call me when you get there".

i got back, parked the trailer to the doors, and called him back.

he said, "ok, we arranged for you to continue on that run, you are not laid off, show up tonight, at your regular time"

"ok, will do, have a GOOD DAY"..

went back to work that night, and for several weeks after.......

i took no BS from an employer who was going to cut me off at the knees, and still wanted me to finish the job..??

that employer, lost the DHL contract, when DHL went belly up a few months after.............

i "saw" the writing on the wall when DHL made cutbacks with thier 3 planes, they only could fill up one..>!!!

and other things they were cutting back on.

i found another job, with no worries on my part.

and that wasn't my first time, either threatening to park a truck, or actually DID park a truck...(the defunct RPS now FedEx Ground, is one in which parking the truck took place)

time to bail is when the rumors are verified, screw the company.

Last edited:
I wonder if there's such a thing as like a "mechanic's lien" they could put on company property they are in possession of so they can legally hold it until they're made whole? I'd for sure hang on to something until I got mine.
i was thinking after i posted that response...the vacation money, and the health benefits may be considered, "frivolous expenses, not conducive If that is the word i was looking for) to the creditors they owe monies to"..

for instance, (maybe by Indiana state bankruptcy laws), as long as payroll is met, then the vacation time earned, is not considered actual owed monies, IF the vacation time has not been taken?

i dunno.....i never ran into any bankrupt situations, so i'm as in the dark as anyone else.

i was thinking after i posted that response...the vacation money, and the health benefits may be considered, "frivolous expenses, not conducive If that is the word i was looking for) to the creditors they owe monies to"..

for instance, (maybe by Indiana state bankruptcy laws), as long as payroll is met, then the vacation time earned, is not considered actual owed monies, IF the vacation time has not been taken?

i dunno.....i never ran into any bankrupt situations, so i'm as in the dark as anyone else.
I've worked where vacation/floaters were "use it or lose" or "use it or cash out", so if policy would allow you to take the money instead of the time off I would think those monies would be owed, but who knows, secondly you would think their healthcare would go until the end of December unless the company didn't make the premium payments.

I've worked where vacation/floaters were "use it or lose" or "use it or cash out", so if policy would allow you to take the money instead of the time off I would think those monies would be owed, but who knows, secondly you would think their healthcare would go until the end of December unless the company didn't make the premium payments.
yeah, i never worked at a place where i could cash out vacation time. it was indeed, use it or lose it.

i dunno about the health insurance, one would think that at least they would be covered till months end, but the company could have stopped paying into that weeks, or months ago...

i feel for all of them, a couple of crooks in the organization, ruined it for all.

All depends if your employer is in a right-to-work state or a At-will state
Neither is beneficial to the driver but you can sometimes file a complaint with OSHA and lately I'm reading about drivers filing lawsuits through them for some big ca$h

You would think our politicians in Washington would be right on this. Let's help out American taxpayers first, before sending money to Azerbaijan.
https://explorer.usaid.gov/cd/AZE
many years ago, i vaguely recall some politician saying something like, "americans are strong, they can help themselves, where as many of these foreign countries, they do not know how to help themselves"..

now, i had to paraphrase that, as i cannot recall word for word how it was said.

but as i heard it back then, it basically was telling me, we do not come first.........

i was brought up where, "charity begins at home".....

I wonder if there's such a thing as like a "mechanic's lien" they could put on company property they are in possession of so they can legally hold it until they're made whole? I'd for sure hang on to something until I got mine.
Nice thought but good luck with that. We all know the banks and creditors get theirs first. I will say this pay backs are a bitch. The loaded reefer full of food would have been parked on a city street with a sign that says FREE FOOD. Bobtail home or close to it and if I had to put fuel in it I would call all my buddies to come pump the tanks dry.
I would never turn in any of the sign BOL that I didn't not turn in yet because we all know every company out there will want a sign BOL before they will pay a dime to a bankrupt company.