Best Driver GPS

Goslo

TB Regular
Credits
I'd bet this has been addressed many times, but I can't search GPS, it's too short, ya get no results.
So if I may ask, what is the best GPS I can recommend to a new driver that's asking?

i like my Rand, but as stated above, i do not trust that 100% either.

really, buy a Rand McNally truckers road atlas, and actually USE THAT in conjunction with a GPS.
That is the ticket. In my area there is this one road in a residential neighborhood that has a sign, a huuggggeeeee fluorescent yellow sign that reads something like, "NO TRUCKS, if you drive down this street equipment damage will occur and you will be ticketed". There is a low, arched bridge at the end of that 'hood and my guess is that GPS units send trucks down there. A road atlas would clearly show that that street is not a main road.

another thought, although many times easily fixable, is the address you get, is NOT the actual drop off point. we have all had to go to a different location, after we arrived where we thought, we'd be loading/unloading.

a GPS may or may not navigate properly from that point, or send someone down the wrong streets.

even street maps can be a bother in this situation as well, so BEST to get precise directions, from the customer!

Back to the OP's question, I am partial to Garmin, I like their products. But...then...I'm not just a customer, I'm a stock holder too.

I once had a Garmin iQue (3600?). It was a Palm Pilot PDA with integrated GPS and I really liked the thing, but it didn't last too long...and it was an expensive piece of equipment. My favorite feature on it was that the map screen looked just like an atlas map. White background, red and black roads and when I zoomed it it showed the local roads. I don't really care for these things that they have today that resemble cartoons.

I've never had any GPS units,I'm not even sure if I'd know how to use one?
In my 45 year trucking career I always used either a State,or local map & a road atlas.

I think my cell phone has one, however I only use my phone to take & make calls,or sometimes play my favorite game Angry Birds.

Well now heres my question for any of you who are using any of those units,do they point out low bridges?
I would think not with all of the truckers who crunch their trailers in low overheads, who blame the crash on their GPS.

I've never had any GPS units,I'm not even sure if I'd know how to use one?
In my 45 year trucking career I always used either a State,or local map & a road atlas.

I think my cell phone has one, however I only use my phone to take & make calls,or sometimes play my favorite game Angry Birds.

Well now heres my question for any of you who are using any of those units,do they point out low bridges?
I would think not with all of the truckers who crunch their trailers in low overheads, who blame the crash on their GPS.
mine (Rand), has 2 settings..

1) cars

2) trucks

so in the truck settings, you are routed around safe roads for trucks. and it shows scales.

but all in all, i trusted mine with caution.

one MAJOR problem mine has..??

it tells me the place i want, is on the right........when it's actually...on the LEFT.....!!!!!!

So pro if it isn't accurate I'd think a map is still the better choice.
Plus a map has to be way cheaper than a good GPS unit.

So pro if it isn't accurate I'd think a map is still the better choice.
Plus a map has to be way cheaper than a good GPS unit.
yes, to us old timers, a map is something WE CAN read.

too many newbies do not know, how to read a map, or depend on all the high tech they can go broke buying.

i would buy a new Rand atlas, about every 3-4 years. reason being, some roads were either under construction, or had been removed. then any updated information, all for the low, low price of about $30 at nearly any Pilot.

i would always buy the laminated one as well. no paper maps, unless it was the local city street maps. like from Holstrom..????

when i was doing my Boston route, before i got hurt, i used the Rand GPS to navigate around the tiny Boston streets.

BUT...i took my car, on a Sunday morning, and the GPS was still set for "trucks".

mine (Rand), has 2 settings..

1) cars

2) trucks

so in the truck settings, you are routed around safe roads for trucks. and it shows scales.

but all in all, i trusted mine with caution.

one MAJOR problem mine has..??

it tells me the place i want, is on the right........when it's actually...on the LEFT.....!!!!!!
Turn it around so it faces the windshield. :hilarious:

Turn it around so it faces the windshield. :hilarious:
n3RGs0O.gif

One big difference with GPS vs the old faithful Rand McNally is that the GPS has detailed local maps already built in and no need to hunt down a local county or city map anymore but there is no doubt that they are not perfect. However, considering the amount of information they contain they are pretty accurate. I have been leaning more on the app on my iPhone though because it is sooooo easy it's sinful. All I have to do is type in what I am looking for and it brings 'em up in order of proximity. I want my bank when I'm out of town? The thing knows where I am and hooks me right up, then click, click and I have verbal driving instructions right to the place. Of course I pay attention to my surroundings and whether the odd numbers are on the right or left when I'm looking for an address.

One big difference with GPS vs the old faithful Rand McNally is that the GPS has detailed local maps already built in and no need to hunt down a local county or city map anymore but there is no doubt that they are not perfect. However, considering the amount of information they contain they are pretty accurate. I have been leaning more on the app on my iPhone though because it is sooooo easy it's sinful. All I have to do is type in what I am looking for and it brings 'em up in order of proximity. I want my bank when I'm out of town? The thing knows where I am and hooks me right up, then click, click and I have verbal driving instructions right to the place. Of course I pay attention to my surroundings and whether the odd numbers are on the right or left when I'm looking for an address.
Why type it? Just hit the mic button, or your button on your bluetooth and tell it what you are looking for.