FedEx Freight | bid by phone.

lastcavalier186

TB Lurker
Credits
Can someone explain how the bid by phone process works? I have never been in a center big enough for this process until this bid. I was given a 15 minute window to call and bid. What happens if somebody in front of me is not able to call on their block?

If they don't make their call block, they get skipped. When they get around to realizing they missed their call block, they bid as if it was then their turn to bid. In other words, if they remember after everyone else bids, they get whatever is left, be it a bid or extra board.

The last time we bid at Natioal it was a call bid. The linehaul boss started calling people early to get the process done early. He called in the right order, so it was OK.

The only thing I don't like is my call time seams to always fall right in the middle of my sleep schedule. Oh well, sleep is overrated.

[quote author=Guardrail link=topic=81442.msg840428#msg840428 date=1277493300]
The last time we bid at National it was a call bid. The line haul boss started calling people early to get the process done early. He called in the right order, so it was OK.

The only thing I don't like is my call time seams to always fall right in the middle of my sleep schedule. Oh well, sleep is overrated.
[/quote]

They are NOT supposed to call you regarding official company business during your REST/SLEEP period. If that continues, I would call Safety. :nono:

[quote author=IslandHillbilly link=topic=81442.msg840437#msg840437 date=1277498592]
They are NOT supposed to call you regarding official company business during your REST/SLEEP period. If that continues, I would call Safety. :nono:
[/quote]

It's set up for you to call them. It seems to be the most efficient way to bid so it isn't that big of a deal. On a bump bid, you don't need to call unless you want to switch to a new bid. I tend to shy away from making things more than they are. I find that I get along better in general. In life you have to pick your battles. If you make everything a battle, you'll be very busy.

The dispatcher calls us when he's ready for us to bid if were not there. If we don't answer he doesn't move on. I've ha to tell him I'll call him back because I can't talk right then for whatever reason and he has no problem with it. Just says call back asap.

Here I go again jumping into the "wild Purple yonder". :biglaugh: We were told at Fedkins/national to be prepared for changes. We are going to be more like AF/Freight/Regional. Sounds like the Candy Stripes are rubbing off on your powder puff trucks. We use to walk into the OM's office or dispatch, review the bids, sign your name, done deal, took a week. Then we tried the call in, told it had too many problems. Now we fill out a bid sheet, and they post it 1-2 weeks before bid starts. :chairshot:So you guys at Regional, need to be prepared to be more like Regional. Change is a good thing, or is it competition :biglaugh:

At previous centers I have had experience with senior drivers (top three out of 22 all on 585 mile day runs) :rant: who knew exactly what they were going to bid holding onto the sheet for over a week and turning it in with two days left. Then the bottom guys, where there were several choices to pick from, had to rush and tell the ccm right then what they were taking. That always bothered me and I think this way will be more fair to all.

[quote author=Lastcavalier186 link=topic=81442.msg841410#msg841410 date=1277746895]
At previous centers I have had experience with senior drivers (top three out of 22 all on 585 mile day runs) :rant: who knew exactly what they were going to bid holding onto the sheet for over a week and turning it in with two days left.
[/quote]I have seen drivers like that also. Nine times out of ten, they flex their muscles at work because they are not allowed to at home. To muck up the system because they can is just plain wrong on so many levels. They need to remember that they were once junior drivers themselves.

You would think that the ccm would give them the sheet and say I need it back by this time tomorrow. Then give the next guy the same time etc. Fairness works.