BLAST FROM THE PAST

Like my father -in -law told me He could give two s***ts what Jimmy did or who was involved BECAUSE Jimmy SR ALWAYS took care of the members

The reason he was involved with the mob was the companies he was legally organizing hired thugs to beat those on picket lines. The mob stopped the beating of the organizers & strikers. When your back is against the wall you can't be particular who helps you. Early teamsters died for our right to collective bargaining.

Like my father -in -law told me He could give two s***ts what Jimmy did or who was involved BECAUSE Jimmy SR ALWAYS took care of the members
My grandfather told me he didn't care what Jimmy SR. was accused of.As long as his pension was solid.Different times, non PC decisions were made for the membership's overall good.Too many lawyers riding the coat tails of both sides of collective bargaining today.

My grandfather was a Canadian who migrated to Detroit, I don't know when. Family stories said he was deported once, and he rode the rails to California and back. He married my grandmother and my mother was born in Detroit in 1929. My mother's parents left Detroit for California when my mother married my dad in 1947. In the mid seventies I went on a camping trip from Michigan to California and back. I stopped in Anaheim Ca. and spent the day with my mothers parents. After a long conversation with my grandfather, he told me about his truck driving days in Detroit for Sroh's Brewery. So I showed him my Teamsters membership card showing me as a member of Teamsters Detroit Local 299 since 1974. He got up from the table and returned showing me his Teamsters local 299 membership card from the 1930's. He then told me about the Teamsters fight to organize Stroh's Brewery. Both of my mother's parents left us years ago but I will always remember the conversation I had with my grandfather, about his days as a member of Detroit Local 299 back in the nineteen thirties.

Last edited: