FedEx Freight | Changes coming in June?

Now we can stop guessing!!!!!
With volume expected to migrate to the lower-cost Ground unit, experts predict the company will lean more toward contractors — and potentially do away with staff drivers entirely.

“Will they go all the way to independent contractor service-providers? Yes, I see that happening,” said Satish Jindel, founder of ShipMatrix, which provides logistical consulting and market data.

Yeah, but the general public doesn't even know we exist as a separate entity. Even when we had different colors.

That includes news outlets too, if a FXG contractor takes a tumble its always just 'Fedex' not 'Rajmahalahan's Trucking LLC operating for Fedex Ground'
Soon we will for sure be all one big happy family if they take the bottom lettering away. Now you really are looked at like a Ground fool

But yeah we all just haul packages lol.

Had 1 driver tell me on the cb before oh all you’re hauling is packages blah blah blah why are you so heavy… yup just Nike packages.. meanwhile I’m placarded like a Christmas tree lol

Questions about the fine print on severance: Did you have to stay on until the final day of operation to qualify? Did insurance continue for any time?
:popcorn:
Yes you had to stay until final day. Our barn‘s last day of operation was 8/12/23 I think you could continue insurance for 6 months on cobra plan but I am not sure I was able to leave early and still receive my severance package. My CCM called me into his office and told me the hill contacted him (this was June 17th) and told him they was gonna let one of us go June 23rd and still receive the severance package, I was number one so he asked my first and I took it. I told him I would use my vacation time for the rest of the week and I was done. My official last day was June 23rd and I started at ABF June 26th.

I don't see it happening on a huge scale without some changes in the current laws and tax code and some of that just changed in March with the FLSA.

There are few tests that must be met. One that raises an eyebrow for me is:

Another is:

I'm not a lawyer, but I was an IC for many years. My wife has been an IC for the last 30+ and I currently utilize ICs., so take it for what it's worth. I'm certain FedEx has scores of legal counsel advising them what's doable and what's not. I don't see it happening without some political action creating exemptions. Not unlike Gov. Newscum's minimum wage for fast food workers being raised to $20/hr exempting his buddy's business Panera as a "bakery", or Lyft and Uber as technology companies instead of ride-share companies.
That's why the drivers are not independent contractors. They are employee drivers for a company that is a contacted service provider.

Soon we will for sure be all one big happy family if they take the bottom lettering away. Now you really are looked at like a Ground fool

But yeah we all just haul packages lol.

Had 1 driver tell me on the cb before oh all you’re hauling is packages blah blah blah why are you so heavy… yup just Nike packages.. meanwhile I’m placarded like a Christmas tree lol

That further proves his ignorance. I pull Ground trailers all the time that are just as heavy as freight. 18,000 lbs pups and 40,000 lbs vans. Yeah, individual packages aren't heavy, but think about how many THOUSANDS of packages will fit on a trailer. There is no wasted space on a Ground trailer. It's a giant Tetris game.

Most people don't even notice that Ground and UPS trailers don't have placard holders.

I got into an argument with a driver on the CB that was telling me that a Ground contractor was "one of mine." I told him that we do not work for the same company. He said, "Both of your trucks say 'FedEx,' but sure, you don't work for the same company." I said, "His truck doesn't say 'FedEx' on it, and he has a different USDOT number. We don't work for the same company."

End of the story is that the driver still believed we both worked for the same company.

That further proves his ignorance. I pull Ground trailers all the time that are just as heavy as freight. 18,000 lbs pups and 40,000 lbs vans. Yeah, individual packages aren't heavy, but think about how many THOUSANDS of packages will fit on a trailer. There is no wasted space on a Ground trailer. It's a giant Tetris game.

There's also packages in the under belly of the trailer. There's no wasted space.

I delivered packages for ground for a bit. Those packages are pretty heavy. I delivered mattresses, futons, furniture broken into a bunch of boxes and a lot of pet food. Cans sucked more than bags.

There's also packages in the under belly of the trailer. There's no wasted space.

I delivered packages for ground for a bit. Those packages are pretty heavy. I delivered mattresses, futons, furniture broken into a bunch of boxes and a lot of pet food. Cans sucked more than bags.

What a coincidence. Freight delivers furniture broken, too. Although it wasn't broken when we picked it up...

"The move would draw a sharp contrast with rival UPS, which has long earned higher margins even with a fleet of highly paid, unionized staff drivers. At a time of waning e-commerce and economic uncertainty, FedEx aims to put shareholder returns ahead of its previous growth mindset."

Repeat, FedEx aims to put shareholder returns ahead of its previous growth mindset.

*Forget being the best. Gave that up long ago. Biggest? That too left with giving up on being best... But still focused on being an investment company, just even more so.
:smilie93c peelout:

Last edited:

Most people don't even notice that Ground and UPS trailers don't have placard holders.

I got into an argument with a driver on the CB that was telling me that a Ground contractor was "one of mine." I told him that we do not work for the same company. He said, "Both of your trucks say 'FedEx,' but sure, you don't work for the same company." I said, "His truck doesn't say 'FedEx' on it, and he has a different USDOT number. We don't work for the same company."

End of the story is that the driver still believed we both worked for the same company.
Fyi ..... Yeller.... Roadway.... Holland.... New Penn.... All had different dot numbers....

"The move would draw a sharp contrast with rival UPS, which has long earned higher margins even with a fleet of highly paid, unionized staff drivers. At a time of waning e-commerce and economic uncertainty, FedEx aims to put shareholder returns ahead of its previous growth mindset."

Repeat, FedEx aims to put shareholder returns ahead of its previous growth mindset.

*Forget being the best. Gave that up long ago. Biggest? That too left with giving up on being best... But still focused on being an investment company, just even more so.
:smilie93c peelout:
Exactly like Brad Jacob’s said with Xpo. Shareholders are the priority. Man I feel for you guys.