FedEx Freight | chicago hts

chicago hts

I've been wanting to give it a try. I thought about hooking them up on a Saturday and driving around the yard. I just haven't felt like hooking and dropping 3 trailers just to play around the yard for a few minutes.

What do y'all mean by triples qualify????? I have doubles and triples endoresment on my license already so I figure if it was legal in my state to pull triples I could.I tell you what though if the tractors had enough power to pull three of em I'd do it in a heart beat. I saw a bunch of em out west a few years ago triples double 48s all kinds of combo's looked pretty cool to me.

Just because you have the endorsement doesn't mean you can just do it.
You have to be triples certified, one of those federal requirements that came down a few years back. Involves a road test. If you could document that you had pulled them prior to whatever the date was, you could fill out a form and be grandfathered. Otherwise, make a date :buttkisser: with your friendly :iamnotworthy: driver trainer.

Re: chicago hts

[quote author=fed875 link=topic=81660.msg843520#msg843520 date=1278222151]
I've been wanting to give it a try. I thought about hooking them up on a Saturday and driving around the yard. I just haven't felt like hooking and dropping 3 trailers just to play around the yard for a few minutes.
[/quote]
Doesn't get really interesting til about 60 mph on a road with ruts and trailers that aren't loaded well or are out of sequence.

Re: chicago hts

[quote author=hairbear link=topic=81660.msg843696#msg843696 date=1278279913]
Doesn't get really interesting til about 60 mph on a road with ruts and trailers that aren't loaded well or are out of sequence.
[/quote]
Well the "sequence" is how you hook then up. Pulling triples on the road is not as bad as you might think. If your rear trailer is getting a case of the wiggles then just pull over and regrease the second 5th wheel. That almost always fixes the wiggles..

We had a bump bid at my yard a few weeks ago that we all knew would only be temporary, so I took a bid that would get me pulling triples. Just finished this bid and I am glad to be back to a doubles bid. In my opinion, definitely not worth the extra .025 per mile. Not that I was intimidated by them or scared or anything, it just makes everything more interesting on the road. Takes twice as long to pass anyone on the road, and if you think a set offsets to one side pretty bad with 2 trailers, try 3. The way I figure it pulling triples is part of what helps the bottom line for the company but is not worth the extra risk for the driver doing it. If you have 2 drivers each pulling triples it costs the company approx. $1.17 per mile for those six trailers, compared to approx. $1.68 per mile for 3 drivers to pull doubles. Basically that extra set being pulled by the 2 drivers pulling triples is going down the road for $.05 per mile. Good for the company, not worth it for the driver. Just my opinion, I'll stick to the doubles.