FedEx Freight | City driver dock hours?

Driverdriver

TB Lurker
Credits
In years past city drivers were allowed to work the dock if they didn't get their hours doing p&d. We were told this was the rule when most of us started from senior guys, it was the reason some guys stayed in p&d as it was always said when it's slow the road starves but city can bump the dock. Is this in the handbook as now
people are told no dock time is allowed even if you don't work at all doing p&d. Just curious if any rules of this exists or not or if being full time hourly is guaranteed any amount of hours. It's crazy to me that part time dock gets priority over full time drivers.

I think it depends on your center manager. If I was a manager I would do anything to keep my drivers since they are the most valuable asset to the company. Dock can't run road or do P&D.
This is how it was when I was there. Local mgmt generally kept the guys getting their 40.
You may be on the hub, but the option for 40 is there.

I don't know of any policies regarding that, but we have several city and road drivers who work the dock at our SC to get extra hours. I've done it a few times.

In years past city drivers were allowed to work the dock if they didn't get their hours doing p&d. We were told this was the rule when most of us started from senior guys, it was the reason some guys stayed in p&d as it was always said when it's slow the road starves but city can bump the dock. Is this in the handbook as now
people are told no dock time is allowed even if you don't work at all doing p&d. Just curious if any rules of this exists or not or if being full time hourly is guaranteed any amount of hours. It's crazy to me that part time dock gets priority over full time drivers.
Hate to be the jerk I am but at FedEx Freight , rules , really ?
They are whatever they think up for that day or moment .

I think it depends on your center manager. If I was a manager I would do anything to keep my drivers since they are the most valuable asset to the company. Dock can't run road or do P&D.

That's been my experience. My SCM is allowing all drivers to work the dock as long as work is available. It's an option when dispatch calls road drivers and it's pretty much mandatory for city drivers with no work available.

I haven't seen it in writing and I doubt it's something they would put in writing because it's a building level decision similar to how many employees are needed in each job classification.

Everything is subject to change and market conditions .
(This means whatever your TM & FDX will decide that
is best for them , not you . ) Sorry man it had to be said .

Everything is subject to change and market conditions .
(This means whatever your TM & FDX will decide that
is best for them , not you . ) Sorry man it had to be said .
Spot on been here many years and that’s the truth. TM change and so does company policies 5 TM and totally 5 different ways they do it no rhyme or reason but being in the round mouth club certainly is the deal . Sad and very true

YES, policy does require full time DRIVERS to have priority over part time dock. Only as it applies to straight time - not OT. Hard to find, but it's listed under "Part-Time Staffing".

I'll share it with the class when I get a hard copy.

This is how it was when I was there. Local mgmt generally kept the guys getting their 40.
You may be on the hub, but the option for 40 is there.

I used to get overtime working the dock. I’d also start some nights on the dock then get short turn line haul runs. I always made sure to visit line haul and make them aware I was available out on the dock. More often than not I would get called to run something. I might get my eight hours on the dock then do a four hour line haul turnaround. I think I made more doing that than when I held my city bid. Some days I would get half my time in the city then half on the dock and still pad myself with a short line run.