FedEx Freight | Clt Fedex Info

Gamecock Taylor

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello, I'm trying to gather information about the CLT area FedEx Freight for both City & Linehaul, also any hiring information that someone could pass along would be greatly appreciated. A little background information about myself, I'm 22 years old, currently driving for Schneider on a Tractor Supply account within Charlotte for about 8 months now. So far I have my Tanker and Doubles/Triples endorsements while working towards getting my Hazmat before the end of the year. I come from a family of Truck Drivers and I've grown up around trucks my entire life with my Father driving for Walmart, I'm intrigued by the LTL side of the trucking industry and want to consider all options before making my next decision, which is hopefully soon. Also, I got a Ticket in Pennsylvania for running a red light (which didn't happen, ran across a douchebag police officer with a propensity for ticketing truck drivers.) when I was still running regional, how would that affect my prospects of getting hired if at all. Thanks in advance for any replies to this post.

Do you have at least a year experience or just the 8 months? With 8 months experience, you'll have to go through the apprentice program.

CLT hub may mean more dock work than driving in the beginning.

Do you have at least a year experience or just the 8 months? With 8 months experience, you'll have to go through the apprentice program.

CLT hub may mean more dock work than driving in the beginning.
I should've made that clearer, that's my mistake, but I have 8 months of driving experience currently; my plan is to stick it out here for a few more months and get my year in and see what opportunities become available.

As far as dock working goes, I understand that I'll have to pay my dues as long as there's some sort of light at the end of the tunnel I don't mind putting in the work.

I should've made that clearer, that's my mistake, but I have 8 months of driving experience currently; my plan is to stick it out here for a few more months and get my year in and see what opportunities become available.

As far as dock working goes, I understand that I'll have to pay my dues as long as there's some sort of light at the end of the tunnel I don't mind putting in the work.
I like that.... a driver with a good attitude and head on his shoulders.... you will do ok.:usa::bgroovy:

Idk if CLT hires off of indeed, but if they do set up an alert so you're notified. It seems like FXF is fully staffed all the way around as there are fewer and fewer transfer opportunities available.

If a spot opens up next week, I would say screw the year. I'll go through the program because you never know when they'll be hiring again.

I had to wait a year due to some moving violations. That year turned into 18 months.

Idk if CLT hires off of indeed, but if they do set up an alert so you're notified. It seems like FXF is fully staffed all the way around as there are fewer and fewer transfer opportunities available.

If a spot opens up next week, I would say screw the year. I'll go through the program because you never know when they'll be hiring again.

I had to wait a year due to some moving violations. That year turned into 18 months.
I'll definitely go and do what you said, from everything I've seen they are fully staffed as you mentioned but anything is possible. I'd be foolish not to take your advice when it comes to jumping on the opportunity, besides any additional information I can get from someone with experience is always helpful.

I'll definitely go and do what you said, from everything I've seen they are fully staffed as you mentioned but anything is possible. I'd be foolish not to take your advice when it comes to jumping on the opportunity, besides any additional information I can get from someone with experience is always helpful.

Ask any questions you may have. For the most part, we all have the same experiences but there are some differences. Its like hubs are independently owned and operated.

Ask any questions you may have. For the most part, we all have the same experiences but there are some differences. Its like hubs are independently owned and operated.
Excuse me for my ignorance but what is a hub? I'm guessing it's more than a usual trucking company terminal based on the size of FedEx.

Excuse me for my ignorance but what is a hub? I'm guessing it's more than a usual trucking company terminal based on the size of FedEx.
Fedex uses the Hub and Spoke system to sort freight. CLT is a hub, and smaller terminals like Hickory, Asheville, Florence are spokes. Think of a wheel having a large central hub with small spokes radiating from the center. Most of the freight picked up at spoke terminals is transported to the hub for sorting and being sent to the next destination. Typically there is a greater opportunity to move up faster on either the City or Road seniority list at a large hub.

Believe it or not there's a lot of turnover at Fedex Freight, especially at the bottom of the seniority list. Keep at it. You'll be on in no time. They hire in waves.

Fedex uses the Hub and Spoke system to sort freight. CLT is a hub, and smaller terminals like Hickory, Asheville, Florence are spokes. Think of a wheel having a large central hub with small spokes radiating from the center. Most of the freight picked up at spoke terminals is transported to the hub for sorting and being sent to the next destination. Typically there is a greater opportunity to move up faster on either the City or Road seniority list at a large hub.
That's a great way of explaining it, a follow up question I have is why would the prospects of moving up the seniority list be greater at a large hub instead of a spoke? Also what's the difference between working at a hub and a spoke? This is all completely new information to me and I'm very intrigued.

I just checked the website and I didn’t see any job numbers currently open for CLT. We’re currently fully staffed (city and road) but things change quickly so you never know. We do hire off the street for city/local...that’s where everyone starts.
I want to find out as much as I can about all of these companies so when an opportunity presents itself, I'll be prepared to take it whenever that may be. Charlotte from the outside looking in looks packed, based on how many times I get dusted by FedEx Trucks (well, every truck to be honest) but like you said things can change a lot but time will tell.

What I can say is being a city driver seems very stressful from what I've seen on YouTube and other websites, I don't know much about it as far as the day-to-day operations but I wonder if anything I'm doing now could possibly translate over as far as backing into sometimes tight stores or peculiar situations... I'm guessing it doesn't, maybe a Dollar Store account would be more similar I suppose.

Believe it or not there's a lot of turnover at Fedex Freight, especially at the bottom of the seniority list. Keep at it. You'll be on in no time. They hire in waves.
People don't leave good jobs, especially not in this business I've got first hand experience of that with relatives, but I'll keep my head down and continue to do my part and hope for the best. Thanks.

Very true. I moved up 5 spots in 6 weeks.
How does a seniority list breakdown? For example, if you're a city driver for 5 years and you want to do Linehaul do you have to build seniority within that division? Also if that's not the case what happens if you have again a city driver with 5 years of seniority and a Linehaul driver with 5 years, who gets to chose first on a Linehaul run?

People don't leave good jobs, especially not in this business I've got first hand experience of that with relatives, but I'll keep my head down and continue to do my part and hope for the best. Thanks.

They absolutely do. People always believe the grass is greener and go somewhere else. A lot of times they come back. There are reasons for it.

1) "I came here to be a city driver not a dock worker"

2) " I thought I was going to be making 80 to 100k, I'm only making 55 to 60"

3) office politics. You have to keep in mind this isn't like OTR trucking. You're reporting to a building everyday and that building has people in charge . Those people have their favorites. I keep my head down and stay to myself. I watch what I say and who I say it to.