comming back to bite

mayflower

TB Lurker
Credits
Who about this split pay for shuttle drivers We just had a posting of a shuttle between j9 an Brockway PA. Not one driver took the offer! Why take a 3 cents a mile cut in pay to be home every night { You can thank Marry Ellen for that great idea] They had to hire a driver off the street to fill the job. I know a few drivers that wanted the job but would not take the pay loss. I think it should be equal pay for all shuttle drivers not just the ones that were grandfathered in 48 cents for everone

• [list type=decimal]
[/LIST]I totally agree with you. I took one of the shuttles almost 4 years ago. At the time it was a 4 cents a mile pay cut. I didnt like it, but it was a personal choice I made to make some peace at home. (24 yrs on the road). I dont think the shuttle drivers should have to take a pay cut for these runs. At the last drivers meeting we had with the big brass. They compared us with full load companies. saying we make more than most of them. Which may be true, but we are not a full load carrier. And the other LTL carriers that have shuttle drivers do not pay their drivers less than their road drivers. Also the Prez said we are paid less because we dont have to make deliveries or pick ups. Dont have to deal with customers. Although that may be true most of the time. There are frequent occasions that we are expected to make pick ups on our way out. Or deliveries on the way back from a shuttle run. And to top it off. I work Tuesday thru Saturday. So sometimes I will come in on Mondays and work regional. Either to make some extra money or because they are real busy and could use the help. They dont even want to pay the 48 cents a mile for those times either. Its just not right. If Im not going to make the 48 on the shuttle runs, I should at least make it when making pickups and deliveries.

A shuttle is the same as linehaul. They pack as much freight and weight as they can into a trailer. Then it is taken to a facility and the trailer is broken down and the frieght is delivered. I personally take a load that will end up in Chicago. And the load I bring back originated in Chicago. I go from J3 to Clinton, Tn meeting a driver that came from J8. Someone else will take the trailer from J8 to J2.

shuttle drivers

At Jevic they call relay drivers shuttle drivers why I don't know,but most of them relay there load like the guys that leave J1 meet in Va with the drivers coming out of Concord they switch loads and go back.