ODFL | Common Road Courtesy

flybynite

TB Legend
Credits
I have a question, have any of you that have been driving for a number of years noticed that there seems to be a drop in common courtesy between drivers on the road. I'm not talking about 4 wheelers, I'm talking about fellow truck drivers.

A number of years ago when I started driving, we always let a driver passing us know that he was clear by a couple of flashes of the headlights. The response from the passing driver would be a couple of blinks of the marker lights. I rarely see it, the few that still do it are the ltl companies and a few others. Instead I've had people began to whine and cuss me out on the C.B. for passing them. 3 times last week.

Is it the new generation of drivers or are companies (safety departments) telling them not to do this.

Another thing is moving over a lane when a car or truck is on the side broke down. I realize that you can't do it every time, but when there is nothing else there why not move over. I saw one of our famous OTR companies (Ahswift) sorry I got the sneezes, almost take a car on the shoulder last week and he had room to move I was even flashing my lights to let him know it was clear, instead he drifted into the shoulder.

Anyway are others experiencing this or is this a I-5 thing only.

HA you should run I70 between KCY and STL If there were a school bus load of kindergartens standing in the right lane no 4 wheeler and most big trucks would not give a inch to anyone going a 10th of a MPH slower to let them in the left lane. I think they want to get you to hit them. Plenty of sarcasm and criticism of other drivers on the radio. Which is one reason I listen to it very little.

This is an interesting topic, and all points are on track. I know of one carrier in particular that tells their drivers not to blink over other drivers. Their reasoning for this is should you come over on the flash of the lights and someone else takes the space first the fear is the driver that flashed you over would become responsible for the incident. Now I for one would never blame the other driver for someone else who has no patience, but thats just me. But I do agree there is way less common courtesy then say 5 years ago, I don't know if it's the new breed or just todays drivers are younger less experienced whatever. All you can do is be courteous to other drivers around you and be professional at all times. Just my two cents Take care

Common courtesy seams to be a thing of the past. I for one always move over (when posible) Flash my lights at every truck that passes and blink my markers in thanks for the flash to get over. I believe alot of the lack of courtesy comes from lack of training. Most new drivers are not taught the things we were taught. Of course the use of cell phones by drivers plays in big roll in lack of courtesy too. They get so involved in the phone call they forget there surroundings,foot comes off the throttle ect.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I for one would rather have no coutesy out there if your idea of a courtesy flash is to blind me with your high beams. You wont get a thank you flash of the trailer lights from me. I've actually had "Billy big rigger" give me ::shit:: for not thanking him. I said **** you Billy go back to your drivers school and get the hell out of my way!!! That has to be what they are teaching them these days because it's more and more prevalent.:cuss:

I for one would rather have no coutesy out there if your idea of a courtesy flash is to blind me with your high beams. You wont get a thank you flash of the trailer lights from me. I've actually had "Billy big rigger" give me ::shit:: for not thanking him. I said **** you Billy go back to your drivers school and get the hell out of my way!!! That has to be what they are teaching them these days because it's more and more prevalent.:cuss:

How long have you been driving? I would say not long. You are one of the drivers we talk about. That what the union teaches you?

Get the hell out of my way thats real profesional.

I agree.Courtesy from another bigtruck shouldnt be high beams in your mirrors.I can understand that from 4 wheelers but a quick off and on of the headlights from fellow truckdrivers is the courteous way doing things...

Personaly I don't flash anymore unless its a truck blocking other trucks or someone running as slow as I am. If I flashed every truck that passed me I would wear the switch out in one night.

i usually wait until the signal goes on to identify their intentions and will flash during daytime and dim during nighttime and of course thank when it is done for me which happens rarely with a 62 mph truck LOL.

i usually wait until the signal goes on to identify their intentions and will flash during daytime and dim during nighttime and of course thank when it is done for me which happens rarely with a 62 mph truck LOL.

How did you get a 62mph truck ?

I apologize to My post seemed pointed. Most truckers are great people no matter who they work for. I should also not be critical of any company.

old 97 volvo used for city only but i travel 55 miles to my first stop most of the time.rumor has it that it will be retired within 90 days but i have heard this a couple of times and it not be true.it does not matter either way,seat was replace 4 months ago and a/c works great since it is not freezin here in the south.

old 97 volvo used for city only but i travel 55 miles to my first stop most of the time.rumor has it that it will be retired within 90 days but i have heard this a couple of times and it not be true.it does not matter either way,seat was replace 4 months ago and a/c works great since it is not freezin here in the south.

Did you ever hear of the p/d driver that wouldn't give his tractor up ? He had been there many years and knew the man from the git go.So they put a new motor in and he kept it for many more.He retired with over 40 years and has since passed.A real nice man Mr.Willie Fuller.

I agree.Courtesy from another bigtruck shouldnt be high beams in your mirrors.I can understand that from 4 wheelers but a quick off and on of the headlights from fellow truckdrivers is the courteous way doing things...

I agree with you 100%. the co. i work for think lights should be on at all times for safety, so headlights come on when you release your parking brakes. when a truck passes me during the day or night, i have no choice but flash my brights:hide:

Please driver's if you cannot turn your lights on and off for just a quick second then don't use your high beams either. The more you act as a responsible and professional driver then maybe the one's that are not may notice what you do and try and do the same. Remember the old saying "monkey see monkey do". All you have to do is maintain what you do to be as profesional as possible.

Whenever another Truck passes me I turn my Lights of, (Have them on all the time), and then on, if no reaction a flash quickly with the high beams or call him over the CB. If I passed one I really appreciate if the let me now I’m passed, and I will give him a big thanks. However from time to time you are pretty busy to keep your rig on the road and you can’t see him turn off the lights so why not flash quickly? You can see that out of the corner of your eyes. Anyway all Drivers should be much nicer to each other, then summa samarium we all are a big team no matter if Union Teamster or non Union. So let’s stick together and help each other as much as you can, then we all are the ones who feed this great Nation.

To be honest, I just don't even bother with most of them anymore... If a driver is passing me and seems to be a good, attentive operator, I'll blink him over... Unfortunately, most aren't even paying enough attention to stay in their own lane as they're passing you...

And I'll second that about the hi beam flash at night... Extremely rude and ill mannered...