XPO | Con-way Freight Honored With Ryder Carrier Quality Award for 2007 ...

probably not true, because most think I AM nuts..!!! But it ain't so bad going through life letting people think that way about you...keeps them on their toes, waiting for you to surprise them...wondering what you might do next...
well, the 2 hour backoff is upon us, and I am told by the FOS who called me that we didn't have anyone ship late freight to take advantage of the backoff...AGAIN..!!! This IS California...Happy hour starts at 4, and most bars and clubs are packed by 5....here comes the shortened weekend...told the wife to save me a spot by the pool, will be there in the late morning...good night all...safe night all....home in one piece, to a cold beer and a good woman...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppler
well after reading your post i think i would stay on the dock like your driver and b-s with my buddys and laugh too. even if it meant working 14 hrs then helping on the dock off the clock when i got back.

:shock: OH no you di'int!:biglaugh:

I haven't report either of you for breaking Rules 1 & 16 because I want everyone to see how mean spirited you two are. :1036316054:

Only thing I can think of is that both of you have unsupportive wives/girlfriends that do not share your life with you.

Oh and yes, I did work at ConWay years back, but not as a driver:smilie_132: and as I stated, I am also a shareholder.

primadona,i applaud your outlook on your company life, evedently you have a well staffed terminal and a tm that actually cares about you having some time to spend with the wife and children. if so you better thank him every chance you get! i promise you where i'm from when we get off, you take a shower,you eat dinner spend an hour maybe a little longer with wife and little ones if you have any and it is bed time.please dont take offence, i'm saying you're damn lucky!!!!

primadona,i applaud your outlook on your company life, evedently you have a well staffed terminal and a tm that actually cares about you having some time to spend with the wife and children. if so you better thank him every chance you get! i promise you where i'm from when we get off, you take a shower,you eat dinner spend an hour maybe a little longer with wife and little ones if you have any and it is bed time.please dont take offence, i'm saying you're damn lucky!!!!
I realize that there are many drivers that are working ridiculous hours on night l/h and have very little time at home. I put in 11-12 hours a day(emphasis on "day"). I wouldn't say the management at my terminal is anything special, but I really don't see enough other terminals to know. We have some wise-***, some dummies, and some smart management people. You just have to realize which is which and deal with them accordingly.
I think my TM is more laid back than most, which is not a good thing as far as I'm concerned. It does, however, make the workplace less stressful and more fun. It also lets people who want to take advantage more able to do so.
I did night l/h when I first hired on and quickly realized I am NOT a night person. I respect all the guys that can work those hours and still maintain ANY kind of home and family life! I've stated before my support for a 50-hour max work week as a joke, but I really do think it would be beneficial to the mental, if not the financial health of all the drivers.

with each passing day, I come to the conclusion more and more that it's about the location...I consider myself lucky because we have a guy who truly cares about us, has zero tolerance for dummies, kicks himself when he hires one, then corrects his mistake...he hangs with us in the breakroom, meets with us regularly, keeps us up to date, has an interest in what we do when NOT in uniform, and can tell a joke with the best of them...the last thing he says to us when breaking a meeting is "safe trip, guys"...every time...kind of person that makes you want to go out and do a good job...and the dummy roster has shrunk(shrank, shrinked, shroonked) considerably...and I know we won't get to keep the guy forever, but it sure would be nice...company better take care of this one before he decides to try other pastures...With Corky going to R&L, there could be trouble...and our guy has been tight with him for alot of years...they used to be ASCMs together in the great Berdoo in the 90's....when we asked him, he said Corky did what he thought was right for Corky, and that they will remain great friends...makes me and alot of guys nervous...it's rare to get a good one and you don't want him to get away...we worked for a sour grape for alot of years here before he retired, and he didn't give a crap about us...the last year and a half has been awesome..chin up, guys...

Don't know who your "guy" is, but, rumor has it that Jim L. from portland is the new RM down here.....:hide:

yeah, we heard that, too...good guy...I have met him a few times at FACs. when he was the quality guy...no, our guy in sac, Butch R, I am worried he is going to go in Corky's direction, and that would suck for us, and for Con-way..

yeah, that's him....he likes to remind us every time we whine about the heat that we don't know what heat is...he was in ust for 3-4 years I think, and then we got him at the new year in 2007...there should be more like him, and if there were, this company would be kicka**....

One night there was a Covenent driver, back when they used to be the long box company we used most, who was trying to back his trlr into a tight spot at the dock. He hit a trlr on one side, pulled up, then trying a second time, hit the one on the other side.....Butch was there, saw this unfolding and was instantly pissed. So much so, he ordered the driver off the property, well, the driver doesn't have a clue who this guy is, (Butch was wearing a blue shirt that night, he used to do that a lot).....guess the Covenent guy thought Butch was just another blue shirt.....anyway, they got into this heated thing, finally, someone else told the driver who Butch was, then the guy tryed to back it down.....too late, Butch went inside and called Covenent, dropped a dime on him, Covenent ordered the driver off the property, a hostler had to follow him out onto Airport Drive and bring the trlr back and spot it.....needless to say, we never saw that driver again.....Butch can get really, really pissed, really quick........it was great, if he was military, in command of my unit, I would follow him up any hill, in any weather, on any mission, anytime.......I know absolutely why you don't want to lose him....:rockon:

Yeah, we heard about his flair for "flash" before he came up here, but he really hasn't shown it much up here...We are meeting tonight, I will ask him about the Covenant driver...other than that not much has changed with him...it appears he doesn't have alot of tolerance for purchase drivers still...when England started running to us from USB daily, he would start harrassing them if they got to USA anytime past 630...one morning, I got in a little later than usual, around 0945 (mty, thank God) and I had pulled in just ahead of the England driver...I was in the breakroom doing my log when this driver walked in with the packet, looked like he had just awakened, and proceeded to tell Butch how hard he had run to get here on time....12 hours from USB to USA..!!??!! should do it in 7.5...8 if there's traffic...Butch leans through the window with the dispatch phone in his hand and offers the receiver to the driver..Driver asks what's up, and Butch tells him to lie to the customer, he doesn't have time for him...might have been the end of it, but a bunch of us broke up pretty hard, and the guy was pissed...he started giving us s**t when Butch came into the breakroom and told him he had 3 minutes to unhook and leave the property, or the sheriff's dept would be called..guy started in again, Butch whipped out his cell phone and called the VP of England, and put him on the phone with the driver...guy left...