for LTL trucking. Con-way Freight is the best company in this
environment to sustain , grow , and profit during this recession. When
you consider all the elements in this business, such as safety,fuel
economy,age of equipment,faster delivery times,and damage claims,Con-
way simply out performs all of its competitors hands down. Con-way is
not perfect, and could still improve its service,but it still remains
the industry leader bar none.
As bigger companies make decisions on their choice of LTL carrier to
ship with, Con-way will expand tremendously over the next 18 months.
There will no doubt be further lay offs and some re-structuring in Con-
way's short term future, but hands down Con-way will remain the best
LTL carrier. One key factor that will drive Con-way's growth and
success is the need for a stable carrier. Lets say you work for a huge
corporation and you are in charge of choosing your main LTL carrier.
Lets also say that this corporation will have upwards of several
million dollars of freight moving at any given time. What would or
could happen if that LTL carrier goes out of business? Sometimes , its
no big deal. There may simply be final deliveries as normal ,then the
doors shut. There could also be total failure of all or part of the
final deliveries. If the bankruptcy courts get involved ,the freight
could be tied up in litigation from days to possibly a year or more.
If you were in charge of several million dollars of freight, would you
feel safe shipping it on a sub-standard cheaper LTL carrier or a
company like YRC that has had its stock fall to $ 1.56 during this
unstable economic environment?
Now with all this in mind , lets say you found a great deal on a
widescreen TV on ebay or an online retailer and you needed it shipped
across the country. Would you feel safe with your TV on a YRC truck
that recently had its stock plummet to $1.56 ?
No matter who you are, a truck driver , a CEO , a day trader, or an
investment broker, these are the simple and plain facts. Try as you
might, you can't find a legitimate argument to any of these points I
have made if you take the time to study the facts.

Ok, i clicked there, and whats your point? Is Con-way going to tighten their belt? You bet your a$$ they are. That still does not change the overall picture for Con-way. Go look at the revenue growth here , compared to Con-ways competitors.

YRCW: Competitors for YRC Worldwide, Inc. - Yahoo! Finance

Bar none, Con-way is still in better phiscal health than any other LTL carrier , especially YRC. So during the next horrible six months of continuing decline , who would ya put your money on? I am talking from and employee point of view and a stock holder point of view. Do i feel sorry for low senority employees that will get laid off? Of coarse i do. Do i feel sorry for the upper management jobs being cut? Not really , most of them have money and educations to fall back on and they will survive with little trouble.

Me a spy ? Not hardly. I'm a driver like you. If you listen to HR, they are not nearly as optimistic as me. HR and most upper management are trying to paint a much dimmer view of our company.They are doing this so they can seize the opportunity to cut our pay and/or benefits.
Im not saying Con-way is God. Upper management could easily make a few bad decisions over the next several months, and we could be in worse shape than YRC. Still though, i if was a betting man, i would say Con-way is the best bet at this time.

Where do you get these facts about FedEx pricing us out of the market? FedEx is a close competitor,but we still lead them in all areas including profit on freight rates.

right....

:butt kiss:
This is why Con-Way will go down...they are willing to pay the top ten executives between 2 and 5 mils a year and trying to save a dime on the drivers...
How much they pay you to read posts and write bull....
Every time con-Way fills the media with paid news- carrier of Wisconsin, top this and that they are about to do sth. shady.
Marry Christmas from John L (3 mill a year + bonuses)

Wow! That does not sound like the the Conway I work at for 2 months in 2000. I can not work for a company that pays a guy 3 dollars an hour more because he lives up north an who allows management to speak to there employees like little kids and then turn around and ask you to punch out and work for free.I guess they will continue to do things like that if people allow it.:hysterical:

Wow! That does not sound like the the Conway I work at for 2 months in 2000. I can not work for a company that pays a guy 3 dollars an hour more because he lives up north an who allows management to speak to there employees like little kids and then turn around and ask you to punch out and work for free.I guess they will continue to do things like that if people allow it.:hysterical:
Why would they allow a person to work for free and who would work for free. disgruntaled ex worker, of course.

Me a spy ? Not hardly. I'm a driver like you. If you listen to HR, they are not nearly as optimistic as me. HR and most upper management are trying to paint a much dimmer view of our company.They are doing this so they can seize the opportunity to cut our pay and/or benefits.
Im not saying Con-way is God. Upper management could easily make a few bad decisions over the next several months, and we could be in worse shape than YRC. Still though, i if was a betting man, i would say Con-way is the best bet at this time.

Frankly, I can't argue with anything you say, and I'll argue with anyone.

I like that you are trying to dispel the rampant doom and gloom. You know that like taxes, once we give back, it is gone forever. Occasionally, somewhere in the recesses of my twisted little brain a fleeting thought passes that we will again get our pension and retirement health care again.

Oh, there is one thing; Conway does not rock.

Corporations are inherently evil. They have stated time and time again that their obligations are towards the stockholder. Employee obligations have been disregarded and this economic downturn seems to be fueling how many employees feel but have not vocalized. They no longer take pride in their work as it is not appreciated resulting in lower productivity, more freight claims, more accidents and absenteeisms, and a perceived or perhaps real need for more micro-management.

And now there are externally and internally driven doubts affecting job security to compound all this.

Frankly, I can't argue with anything you say, and I'll argue with anyone.

I like that you are trying to dispel the rampant doom and gloom. You know that like taxes, once we give back, it is gone forever. Occasionally, somewhere in the recesses of my twisted little brain a fleeting thought passes that we will again get our pension and retirement health care again.

Oh, there is one thing; Conway does not rock.

Corporations are inherently evil. They have stated time and time again that their obligations are towards the stockholder. Employee obligations have been disregarded and this economic downturn seems to be fueling how many employees feel but have not vocalized. They no longer take pride in their work as it is not appreciated resulting in lower productivity, more freight claims, more accidents and absenteeisms, and a perceived or perhaps real need for more micro-management.

And now there are externally and internally driven doubts affecting job security to compound all this.

I understand where you are coming from. Trust me, i have worked here long enough to see the top management take us to a place we should not go.One good thing about a bad economy is it makes these evil corps take a real look at themselves. When i started here , upper management worked on the idea that we could have high freight rates as long as we had fast transit time and low damage, and they said they never wanted to get into a freight rate war because once you lower your rates, its nearly impossible to raise them back up. that philosophy worked great, but now it seems the bean counters don't understand that and its cut cost no matter what.
on a side note to this, there is one thing we can do as employees that would help. do our best to not damage freight. every dsr here should treat freight as if they owned it and it was going to be delivered to their own house. i get sooooo mad when i see some of the loads come in from the fac's. i worked L/H for a while and i know what happens. the dock supervisor does not care about damage. i have seen many a times where a dsr has done something really stupid right in front of them and tear freight up and the supervisor says nothing. that needs and must change. upper management has really got to do something about damage, other than print 300 dvd's and choose a suck-but from each terminal to tell us how to load freight, when the suck-but is usually the worst loader of them all.
Bottom line though, this is a great company, and with a little pride and determination, it will remain a good company

I understand where you are coming from. Trust me, i have worked here long enough to see the top management take us to a place we should not go.One good thing about a bad economy is it makes these evil corps take a real look at themselves. When i started here , upper management worked on the idea that we could have high freight rates as long as we had fast transit time and low damage, and they said they never wanted to get into a freight rate war because once you lower your rates, its nearly impossible to raise them back up. that philosophy worked great, but now it seems the bean counters don't understand that and its cut cost no matter what.
on a side note to this, there is one thing we can do as employees that would help. do our best to not damage freight. every dsr here should treat freight as if they owned it and it was going to be delivered to their own house. i get sooooo mad when i see some of the loads come in from the fac's. i worked L/H for a while and i know what happens. the dock supervisor does not care about damage. i have seen many a times where a dsr has done something really stupid right in front of them and tear freight up and the supervisor says nothing. that needs and must change. upper management has really got to do something about damage, other than print 300 dvd's and choose a suck-but from each terminal to tell us how to load freight, when the suck-but is usually the worst loader of them all.
Bottom line though, this is a great company, and with a little pride and determination, it will remain a good company

well put, there needs to be some form of holding people acountable, I also have seen things torn up in front of supervisors, and its sad when nothing is done to retrain and educate and hold the person responsible, I generally try to help another I see struggling sometimes they just dont understand, but other times there is just a lack of caring, so sad in a way

well put, there needs to be some form of holding people acountable, I also have seen things torn up in front of supervisors, and its sad when nothing is done to retrain and educate and hold the person responsible, I generally try to help another I see struggling sometimes they just dont understand, but other times there is just a lack of caring, so sad in a way

whats even more sad on the topic of accountability , is the fact we are none union. the company has the ability here to weed out the employees but very rarely does.
(Mod cut rule #7) accountability of the workers, yet on that front, Con-way lets that advantage fly right by them most of the time.

I'm hoping when we get all the handheld computers that there will be a system in place that will make it possible to track down the main damage causing dsr's. there will always be room to accuse the wrong person of damage, but there is a way to fix that.
lets say with the new system, it will give us this ability. every time a piece of freight moves, you have to check a box on the handheld "DAMAGE YES NO". so lets say you damage something, but you say you NO on the handheld. the next driver says YES, that would be a HIT on you. i know what people are going to say, how can you prove it ?

well lets say over a period of months, a you have 2 dsr's,both have each moved 2,500 motor moves. the one driver has 30 hits , the other has 300 hits. well gues what, its time to take a look at the driver with 300 hits and see whats going on. is it the shippers fault or something else ,or simply a bad dsr.

If America is still functioning at all , there will be a strong need
for LTL trucking. Con-way Freight is the best company in this
environment to sustain , grow , and profit during this recession. When
you consider all the elements in this business, such as safety,fuel
economy,age of equipment,faster delivery times,and damage claims,Con-
way simply out performs all of its competitors hands down. Con-way is
not perfect, and could still improve its service,but it still remains
the industry leader bar none.
As bigger companies make decisions on their choice of LTL carrier to
ship with, Con-way will expand tremendously over the next 18 months.
There will no doubt be further lay offs and some re-structuring in Con-
way's short term future, but hands down Con-way will remain the best
LTL carrier. One key factor that will drive Con-way's growth and
success is the need for a stable carrier. Lets say you work for a huge
corporation and you are in charge of choosing your main LTL carrier.
Lets also say that this corporation will have upwards of several
million dollars of freight moving at any given time. What would or
could happen if that LTL carrier goes out of business? Sometimes , its
no big deal. There may simply be final deliveries as normal ,then the
doors shut. There could also be total failure of all or part of the
final deliveries. If the bankruptcy courts get involved ,the freight
could be tied up in litigation from days to possibly a year or more.
If you were in charge of several million dollars of freight, would you
feel safe shipping it on a sub-standard cheaper LTL carrier or a
company like YRC that has had its stock fall to $ 1.56 during this
unstable economic environment?
Now with all this in mind , lets say you found a great deal on a
widescreen TV on ebay or an online retailer and you needed it shipped
across the country. Would you feel safe with your TV on a YRC truck
that recently had its stock plummet to $1.56 ?
No matter who you are, a truck driver , a CEO , a day trader, or an
investment broker, these are the simple and plain facts. Try as you
might, you can't find a legitimate argument to any of these points I
have made if you take the time to study the facts.

I worked for an LTL company that went out of business.When they announced the shutdown,they made arrangements with Overnite and we shuttled all our freight over to their terminal. :1036316054:

Speaking of freight rates; didn't I recently see a video announcing we are going to "go out and gain market share"?

Where do you get these facts about FedEx pricing us out of the market? FedEx is a close competitor,but we still lead them in all areas including profit on freight rates.

That is exactly why we are buying them out.

The New FED-WAY.....coming soon to a trucking yard near you.....

By God, I bet between the two of us, we could lay off enough people to make an Unemployment office worker weep with joy......

Job Secuity for the Employment Development office in your town.....

Con-EX.....wonder what color they will paint the retired AeroMax?????

:popcorn:

That is exactly why we are buying them out.

The New FED-WAY.....coming soon to a trucking yard near you.....

By God, I bet between the two of us, we could lay off enough people to make an Unemployment office worker weep with joy......

Job Secuity for the Employment Development office in your town.....

Con-EX.....wonder what color they will paint the retired AeroMax?????

:popcorn:
I am thinking EX-CON with orange uniforms.....

if i didn't know better i thought it might be a shareholder, their is nothing wrong with being proud of something ,but don't put us on to high a pedistal -at one time we were considered the cream of the crop to my dismay i think we have become generic. FED ex ,big e,ups.freight all do the same job and the jobs and pay are comparable. conway is no longer unquie. cutting jobs is not unquie. giving people the service they desire in way that goes above and beyound starts from the top down. Treat your employees as if they were customers and your employees will also follow suit. Don't just give them what they want, dazzal them give them want they don't expect! go that little extra step p.s. be careful of what you call second rate if they had not been donig their job they wouldn't be as big as they are today!