XPO | Con-way stuck and crUNch!

I pretty sure we have all been there once or twice in our careers, as long as he learned from the incident.:hide:
You're right! I've had my share of taking a turn too deep and getting stuck in mud.
As far as forklift jousting? I think everyones horse played when the management wasn't looking.

I've seen other forklift drivers:
  • Ride up behind a forklift in motion and than lift them from behind.
  • Purposely backing into someone to knock all the accumulated grease, dust off the jeep.
  • Place 55 gallon garbage cans on the drive tires and spin them off.
  • Speed up behind a slower moving forklift and try to push them faster.
  • Putting on forklift extensions part way, driving fast and suddenly braking to launch them across the dock.

I'm sure there's more crafty horse play techniques out there but those are the ones I've witnessed.

Hubby saw the "pallet flying off the forks" before but wasn't intentional. When the pallet came to a stop, another driver yelled SAFE!!!!!! :D

At ALL TIMES be safe!! Wasn't it about 3 years ago during a bad storm at LDA, a LH driver on a forklift got too close to the edge of a door, went off and it killed him?

At ALL TIMES be safe!! Wasn't it about 3 years ago during a bad storm at LDA, a LH driver on a forklift got too close to the edge of a door, went off and it killed him?

First time I heard of that.

I saw a forklift driver back out of a trailer and appear to do a reverse "U" turn.
I thought for sure he would stop. Unfortunately he reversed right off the dock!

I ran over to see if he was alive and found him with eyes wide open with a death grip on the steering wheel. He would not talk or move for 10 minutes. We got him off the forklift and he nearly passed out.

Is this one a myth?
Another driver crushed his neck or beheaded himself. I think this happened 8+ years ago.

• He was too lazy to get off the forklift and read a pro number.
  • He decided to raise the freight to a higher level to read the pro while still on the forklift.
  • He poked his head inbetween the mast to read the pro number.
  • His jacket pocket caught the lever and pushed it forward.
  • Forklift mast went down with his head still between the mast.
  • Driver got squished and died on the scene.
After that all forklifts had bars welded or bolted to prevent anyone from poking their heads through the forklift mast.

It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Be Safe and make it to your most important stop......Your Family.

At LDA one night a driver was on a fork lift and it was storming so bad that it was blowing onto the dock making it wet. This driver was backing up, hit the brakes but kept going backwards and fell. The other guys got to him and found the forklift landed on the guy's head, killing him.

The part about the guy that had his head squished by the forklift when his pocket caught the lever my hubby heard that too but he was thinking it would have been impossible to do, would have meant the pro number would have been on the bottom unless the terminal had a different type of forklift than has been at his terminal over the years.

I saw a forklift driver back out of a trailer and appear to do a reverse "U" turn.

I ran over to see if he was alive and found him with eyes wide open with a death grip on the steering wheel. He would not talk or move for 10 minutes. We got him off the forklift and he nearly passed out.

Is this one a myth?
Another driver crushed his neck or beheaded himself. I think this happened 8+ years ago.

• He decided to raise the freight to a higher level to read the pro while still on the forklift.
After that all forklifts had bars welded or bolted to prevent anyone from poking their heads through the forklift mast.

It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Be Safe and make it to your most important stop......Your Family.

The part about the guy that had his head squished by the forklift when his pocket caught the lever my hubby heard that too but he was thinking it would have been impossible to do, would have meant the pro number would have been on the bottom unless the terminal had a different type of forklift than has been at his terminal over the years.

From what I heard, Pro was on the front lower side of the freight.
He raised it up to see the pro through the mast.
He had to get closer to read it.

Con-way Central uses short masts, so I could see the opening of the mast being big enough to stick your head through it.

If it were me? You aint gonna see me sticking my head into something like that.
I'll take the extra couple seconds and get off my forklift to read the pro.

Is this one a myth?

It happened toward Clearfield or Milton. I recall the memo asking for all that were there that night to write a statement. And yes it was after that tragedy that we quickly experienced another Conway knee-jerk reaction and all tow motors were retrofitted with those bars on the front. Must be they were expecting a run on crushed heads.

.....Safty was not even a core value yet.

Shortly after the bars were welded across the front, a driver (FNG) at xmp lost some of his teeth when he forgot to raise his forks and hit a large crack that propelled him forward into the bars. He also required several stitches.

At LDA one night a driver was on a fork lift and it was storming so bad that it was blowing onto the dock making it wet. This driver was backing up, hit the brakes but kept going backwards and fell. The other guys got to him and found the forklift landed on the guy's head, killing him.

That terrible accident where the guy drove off the dock was the cause for the 8million dollar pay-out last april.

Another part time dockworker was driving backwards as he should have been while carrying a tall load.

However, his gloved hand was holding the outer part of the rear forklift frame, exposing his hands to potential injury. (Everyone holds that part of the frame)

He was going too fast for conditions and hit a big wet spot on the dock, this put him in an out of control situation and he slid right into the frame work of the building.

This severed three of his fingers and they were still in the cut glove when found. They were wiggling and nearly made the person who picked it up pass out.

Please be careful while operating forklifts! Keep all your body parts within the frame work of the forklift!

Watched a loader at a shipper pull down a a whole row of 20' high shelving. He was trying to back up and caught the corner of the skid on an upright and down it came. How no one was injured (including me) I'll never know. He didn't get fired either. No longer works in shipping though.

Watched a loader at a shipper pull down a a whole row of 20' high shelving. He was trying to back up and caught the corner of the skid on an upright and down it came. How no one was injured (including me) I'll never know. He didn't get fired either. No longer works in shipping though.

He's probably the electric pencil sharpener technicion now.

Is this one a myth?

Ok here it is, I was at this reship the night this happened. I took place at XHG yes the driver was looking through the mast for the pro number and the mast came down on his head taking HALF his face off! Sorry for being graphic but I didn't like it either. Emergency services were called both he and the trailer were moved to the yard and the reship continued. I think he was out of ny or nj not sure which one anymore. So there it is lets be careful out there on the roads as well as the dock.

Ok here it is, I was at this reship the night this happened. I took place at XHG yes the driver was looking through the mast for the pro number and the mast came down on his head taking HALF his face off! Sorry for being graphic but I didn't like it either. Emergency services were called both he and the trailer were moved to the yard and the reship continued. I think he was out of ny or nj not sure which one anymore. So there it is lets be careful out there on the roads as well as the dock.

Sometimes graphic details help reinforce the message of being safe while operating the forklift.

It happened toward Clearfield or Milton. I recall the memo asking for all that were there that night to write a statement. And yes it was after that tragedy that we quickly experienced another Conway knee-jerk reaction and all tow motors were retrofitted with those bars on the front. Must be they were expecting a run on crushed heads.

.....Safty was not even a core value yet.

this accident happened at xhg and trust me,,it is a sight that you don't want to see!

try this one

Take a full sheet and lay flat on the dock. Get a good running start on the forklift and slam on the brakes once your on top of the full sheet. He who slides the furthest distance is crowned champ!:1036316054:

Its no wonder why we are losing so much of the market. We have FOS's that are more worried about making the monthly bonus than taking care of the customers. Drivers who are tired of getting pooped on for every little thing, while at the same time watching white shirts gettting away with more BS than Halliburton in Iraq. New drivers either quit or get canned within a year of two and things aren't looking better anytime soon.