XPO | Con-Ways future

Is there a future at Con-Way???...

Most likely the answer will/would be in the affirmative.

The quality of that future is in serious question for those of us that work here. The qualitative atmosphere at this company has so deteriorated in the last several years to the degree that it has become unrecognizable from what the genre or mindset was at origin.

At the outset we were lean and mean taking no prisoners along the way. We did what needed to be done to acquire business and move freight to the satisfaction of our customers.

Promises were made to those that participated in this mindset...hang with us and you will be taken care of in your retirement. You will have a pension amongst other benefits that you can depend upon for your later years...

Then came along the bean counters and the 'executive bonus' mongerers that systematically destroyed that dream...whilst all the while touting the same old tired "Keep The Dream Alive" refrain perceiving their employees as five year old kindergarteners that will swallow any pill they offer.

This company made promises. And they have failed to make good on those promises. They have progressively eliminated the intention to do so. The leadership of this company has no moral absolutes when dealing with the people who work here. They have a plan...and that plan is to de-value the person to a non-human...non-person status..all the while demanding everyone go the extra mile and get 'one more shipment' and "Keep The Dream Alive"...nonsense!

We will be eliminated at the earliest possible convenience of the company...we are a liability to the bottom line...that is afterall the only thing bean counters can perceive.

Your contributions over the years mean nothing...your livelihood means nothing...your future means nothing to these people..and your future in retirement definitely means nothing.

We have people running this show that have no clue as to what is happening on the street...and to how it affecting them...nor do they care.

Yes you have future at Con-Way...it just won't be what you were promised...

Rat

Your perceptions are prevalent and run deep.

It matters not what "the truth" is or how our leaders really view their resources (us). What matters is motivation, team work, and a need to take pride in one's work. And those necessary qualities fluctuate in direct proportion to how the worker units view The Company.

management

all that matters to management at publicly traded companies now is how can we as upper management get a bonus.

you see they get them for everything. you will see even with maybe showing a loss for all the discounts they are giving. they will get a bonus for record levels of freight picked up. they will get a bonus for showing the loss could have been bigger than it was, our management great thinking brought us through those discounts at a reduced loss.

just like with yrc's losses this year all the upper management got big bonuses. someone tell me how that can happen?

all the banks giving big bonuses after destroying economy.

to me i think all publicly traded companies should not be able to give management bonuses more than what regular employees get.

when i do something good and ask wheres my atta boy all i hear is "thats your job, i don't need to say good job for doing what you are supposed to"

arn't they supposed to make decision to help the company. "thats their job"
if companies don't need the money for new equipment or expand. then it should go to stock holders in dividends not bonuses to management.

that only makes them fix the numbers for quick bonus not worriing whether companies go out of bussiness.

i got my 40 million bonus screw it if they go under.

i'll go to another comapny do the same thing.

Oh man, I would like that run. Set me up with a turn and then I can go home. :thumbsup:

Sorry old man...that will be a sub-service gig!!!:eck13:

(:hysterical:Sometimes I crack me up!...:hysterical:)

Anyone ever notice the above 'smilie' has 'blue' shoes??...

Rat

I am curious what everyone thinks the future is. I'm talking operational wise. I feel that eventually there is going to be 24hr reships and line haul drivers are going to be on call basis. Any thoughts?

One thing for certain...things will change.

What those changes may be remains to be seen. There will always be linehaul 'bids'...to service the next day freight.

Beyond that is what to do with the ESL freight. I have noticed (and I am sure many of you have as well) there is a vigorous push for 'pures'. In a video of the past Bruce M. made the statement that the part-time dockworkers were going to full-time so those of us so equipped can do what we are certified to do.

That statement was not made lightly. Why pay people $23.00+/per hour when you can hire at half that rate and realize the same results. Truck drivers (and their expertise/experience/safety record) don't come cheap. The things we are 'certified' to perform and qualified to carry out have a hefty price tag. Regardless of what some managers in this company would lead you to believe you are more than a collateral expense...and are valuable beyond the same old tired rhetoric of being replaceable by any number of people just 'dying' to have your job.

So as not to deviate from my normal form and function I am going to 'rant' for a bit...

In my years here I have met somewhere in the neighborhood of a half dozen (maybe more) SCMs...sadly to say most of them are morons. They have no leadership or motivational skills. There only claim to fame is they came through the ranks of sales and like so many other companies this one believes it a qualification for the position.

It isn't.

Their 'bully pulpit' is the non-existent policy manual and the nauseating enforcement of same as to continually 'beat you down' and keep you in submission to their ever changing ideologies....

There are some damn dynamic SCMs in this company...people well worth their salt...and they will rise to the top as the 'cream' always does...however they are few and far between.

We may start seeing more drop & hooks at the larger FACs...as opposed to working the docks. Of course this is just conjecture on my part...but the push for all the pures definitely has some reasoning behind it.

Why build 'pures' to take to an FAC just so it can be broken and loaded onto sub-service carriers? This a waste of manpower, facility resources, and time management. By having the loads ready for 'hook and book' the FAC dock has much less freight to deal with...and hence an earlier close time.

Definitely a step in the right direction!

Rat

One thing for certain...things will change.

What those changes may be remains to be seen. There will always be linehaul 'bids'...to service the next day freight.

Beyond that is what to do with the ESL freight. I have noticed (and I am sure many of you have as well) there is a vigorous push for 'pures'. In a video of the past Bruce M. made the statement that the part-time dockworkers were going to full-time so those of us so equipped can do what we are certified to do.

That statement was not made lightly. Why pay people $23.00+/per hour when you can hire at half that rate and realize the same results. Truck drivers (and their expertise/experience/safety record) don't come cheap. The things we are 'certified' to perform and qualified to carry out have a hefty price tag. Regardless of what some managers in this company would lead you to believe you are more than a collateral expense...and are valuable beyond the same old tired rhetoric of being replaceable by any number of people just 'dying' to have your job.

So as not to deviate from my normal form and function I am going to 'rant' for a bit...

In my years here I have met somewhere in the neighborhood of a half dozen (maybe more) SCMs...sadly to say most of them are morons. They have no leadership or motivational skills. There only claim to fame is they came through the ranks of sales and like so many other companies this one believes it a qualification for the position.

It isn't.

Their 'bully pulpit' is the non-existent policy manual and the nauseating enforcement of same as to continually 'beat you down' and keep you in submission to their ever changing ideologies....

There are some damn dynamic SCMs in this company...people well worth their salt...and they will rise to the top as the 'cream' always does...however they are few and far between.

We may start seeing more drop & hooks at the larger FACs...as opposed to working the docks. Of course this is just conjecture on my part...but the push for all the pures definitely has some reasoning behind it.

Why build 'pures' to take to an FAC just so it can be broken and loaded onto sub-service carriers? This a waste of manpower, facility resources, and time management. By having the loads ready for 'hook and book' the FAC dock has much less freight to deal with...and hence an earlier close time.

Definitely a step in the right direction!

Rat

I think you have been holding that in for awhile now and whatever it was that brought it out doesnt matter........ all I can say is AMEN brother AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you have been holding that in for awhile now and whatever it was that brought it out doesnt matter........ all I can say is AMEN brother AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes Rat gets constipated, but watch out because eventually the ::shit:: will fly!

Sometimes Rat gets constipated, but watch out because eventually the ::shit:: will fly!

I know I'm new to the boards and been behind the wheel for awhile but I can spot someone who speaks their mind from a mile or more. The thing I do like about Rat is when he does he doesnt give a ::shit:: what everybody else thinks. He just lets it roll. :rofl2: THANKS FOR THE WARNING!!!!!!:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

I know I'm new to the boards and been behind the wheel for awhile but I can spot someone who speaks their mind from a mile or more. The thing I do like about Rat is when he does he doesnt give a ::shit:: what everybody else thinks. He just lets it roll. :rofl2: THANKS FOR THE WARNING!!!!!!:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

It is going to roll...

Con-Way wants to hire the best...OK...good for them!

When they hire the cream of the crop they get more than they actually want...it is a craggy precipice they walk...

What this company wants is thinking people...folks with logical skills. people who can think on their feet and make qualitative decisions on the fly...men and women who have the ability to interact with customers and can act as intermediaries between shipper and carrier...they want folks who are problem solvers and doers.

They want the drivers who have the best minds geared towards safety and excellence...to go beyond the 'norm' of what other carriers may accept.

These qualities by definition require intelligence...and a certain level of independence.

They know this...but they have a real problem with the independence issue...

So what to do?...

Keep your thinking people 'down'...let them think they are lucky to have a job...

The folks running this 'dog and pony' show have little or no management skills as to capitalizing on the skills of the employees...

The reason for this...simply put...is they have no appreciation of your abilities...they are all college grads.

Your skills and abilities intimidate them. They only way to level the playing field is non existent policy manuals...militaristic, (⊙▃⊙)fied, non-published rules that no one has access to...that can be (and are) changed situationally at will....

I love my job...

My company sux!

Rat

It is going to roll...

When they hire the cream of the crop they get more than they actually want...it is a craggy precipice they walk...

What this company wants is thinking people...folks with logical skills. people who can think on their feet and make qualitative decisions on the fly...men and women who have the ability to interact with customers and can act as intermediaries between shipper and carrier...they want folks who are problem solvers and doers.

They want the drivers who have the best minds geared towards safety and excellence...to go beyond the 'norm' of what other carriers may accept.

These qualities by definition require intelligence...and a certain level of independence.

So what to do?...

Keep your thinking people 'down'...let them think they are lucky to have a job...

The folks running this 'dog and pony' show have little or no management skills as to capitalizing on the skills of the employees...

The reason for this...simply put...is they have no appreciation of your abilities...they are all college grads.

Your skills and abilities intimidate them. They only way to level the playing field is non existent policy manuals...militaristic, (⊙▃⊙)fied, non-published rules that no one has access to...that can be (and are) changed situationally at will....

I love my job...

My company sux!

Rat
the world is not a hard place, it is some people in it that makes it that way.

Well you have to look at it this way. Rat is right. Ever since the upper management changed from people that knew trucking to collage grads, the company's outlook on the drivers went by they wayside. They just don't care and in the long run it's going to hurt them. That's the real world and so is managements lack of experience.

It is going to roll...

So what to do?...

I love my job...

My company sux!

Rat

I really dont know what to say as i wipe the tears from my hardened cheeks. I will take the advice of one of many doctors ( that are now out of network "THANKS"), take a deep breath count to 10 and tell you I think you read my mind and placed my words so delicatly upon the eyes that have been blinded by all the wool that has been pulled so violently over them. PREACH ON BROTHER RAT