Yellow | Considering YRC

Jonathan62

TB Lurker
Credits
I have an interview next week. I am considering coming to YRC. I do not have to change careers. Just looking for a better opportunity. Would appreciate some inside information. I would be working out of Indianapolis. and am looking at thr OTR position as well as the city driver job. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have an interview next week. I am considering coming to YRC. I do not have to change careers. Just looking for a better opportunity. Would appreciate some inside information. I would be working out of Indianapolis. and am looking at thr OTR position as well as the city driver job. Any advice would be appreciated.

I would strongly suggest you read some of these threads carefully and ask lots of questions. No job is perfect and YRC is definitely no exception.

If OTR or line haul, drivers at the bottom are not getting out. PTS is running over them. They are getting 2-3 trips per week. Usually on the weekends. If you can maintain your lifestyle on this, then ok. But ask lots of questions!

Did they tell you ,that they will be taking -15% of your paycheck ? & tell you they are only paying in 25% to pension & ask to see the truck you would drive ?? you maybe want to check out R&L or Old Dom. or Fed Ex or Dayton or Conway or 2 men & a truck first !!!

Don't do it.
No future with this company.
No retirement. Check and insurance.
If that's what you want go for it.

"Considering YRC"....WHY?....KK

Company will just use you as a percentage of drivers on that roster.to allow PTS to run and you sit at home.Not that the rules of the MOU2014 are strictly being followed.Heres the kicker.New hires aren't protected under the red circled drivers.youll be paying dues for what?? Exactly

Although I am a big fan of organized labor and Yellow being "union"(??), I would be very concerned about looking at Yellow as a place to retire. First, the Teamsters sold their soul to Yellow and I really don't see any chance for it being "redeemed". The company basically owns a share of the Teamsters and Jimmy Hoffa Jr. is nothing more than a puppet to Yellow. And really all this could be said for any trucking company that is Teamsters, Maybe the drivers at UPS might have a little more "leverage" but not much.

Going with Yellow, you will be working under a "hog board" and this is 99% of the union trucking companies. And this system in my opinion is very unfair. I believe in "first in, first out" dispatch system. I have a son who is working his 9th year with UPS and he is still "low man", UPS has not hired one person "off the street" since they hired my son. They have moved package drivers over to "feeder" but they have seniority over my boy. So, with almost 9 years, he still lives by the phone and takes the "left-overs".

The only way to know for sure is to give it a try and find out for yourself. You're not locked in to staying if you feel it's not the right job for you.

I was trying to be nice..............I could RANT but its not good for my blood pressure. My only thought that is positive is that Ive been in this Yellow system long enough I may be out of tune with all the crap some of these other carriers are putting there drivers through. I heard a FX peddle driver quite angry the other day when he was informed he had been forced on to linehaul with no notice for the holiday weekend. Point of my story....it all sucks, just what sucks the least. Unfortunately in my opinion. we suck pretty HIGH !!!!!

Try ABF or UPS Freight their hiring in Indianapolis. If u do choose to come to YRC I would work city/dock. Their short on people, Linehaul is running some of their switch outs.

Try for an executive position instead. YRC is a great place to work if you're an executive, generous bonuses regardless of performance all supported by the hard work of the peasants.

I do encourage you to look elsewhere if you want to be in the trucking profession....this ain't a place for someone to better themselves in the industry, and I have been in the industry for 42 years, with 27 of that as a OTR with Yellow / YRC. You will have to be handed the scraps of what is left on trips, after setting at home for 2-4 days until you get seniority. You will have to work 3 years before you get to top pay, AND will still be 15% less of that to to contract concessions....you could go to CRETE Carriers and start off at much more and advance more with a NEW tractor and still be ahead of the game, as they pay $.50.1 - $.53.4 CPM now just as an example.

Too many quit their jobs to come work here thinking it was the great paying Union job that they have always heard from other driver, only to work a few months and leave due to the working conditions and lack there of. The majority of the employees voted to give up way too much, for way too long and it will not benefit you in your future.

Just turn around and walk away....you can do better.......KK

I do encourage you to look elsewhere if you want to be in the trucking profession....this ain't a place for someone to better themselves in the industry, and I have been in the industry for 42 years, with 27 of that as a OTR with Yellow / YRC. You will have to be handed the scraps of what is left on trips, after setting at home for 2-4 days until you get seniority. You will have to work 3 years before you get to top pay, AND will still be 15% less of that to to contract concessions....you could go to CRETE Carriers and start off at much more and advance more with a NEW tractor and still be ahead of the game, as they pay $.50.1 - $.53.4 CPM now just as an example.

Too many quit their jobs to come work here thinking it was the great paying Union job that they have always heard from other driver, only to work a few months and leave due to the working conditions and lack there of. The majority of the employees voted to give up way too much, for way too long and it will not benefit you in your future.

Just turn around and walk away....you can do better.......KK

Crete Carrier???? At least try what Bump said. UPSF or ABF$$$ ,unless of course he wants to live in his truck. Plus he would miss all the home Colts games!!!!

It used to be that getting on at Yellow or Roadway was tough. Now the combined company is BEGGING for drivers. There is a plethora of reasons for that. Do your homework well!

It used to be that getting on at Yellow or Roadway was tough. Now the combined company is BEGGING for drivers. There is a plethora of reasons for that. Do your homework well!
The only requirement now is a face. We have photo ID cards and you will need to have a face.