XPO | Convenience Days

FATBOY1

TB Lurker
Credits
So once again they remove the C-D'S.I feel these are great for the guys at the bottom that are hardly getting to work.If a guy is willing to stay home for free so another guy can work where is the harm?Don't hand me the benefits crap!The guy sitting at home is getting them too.

I know they want to try to force us to use our PTO days.But who wants to use them at this time of year.I know some will and that is great,but come on.I would rather take a day off Tuesday thru Thursday in the summer than a Monday or Friday now.

FOS says it causes a problem at the end of the year ,everybody wants off.Tough poo,use them thru the week in the summer so the rest of the guys can work now .

OH WAIT A MINUTE,THEY CAN'T DO THAT.IT MIGHT LOOK LIKE THEY CARE ! JUST ANOTHER :nutkick: AND :chairshot: BY THE POWERS ABOVE.

I think they should give as many convenience days as possible, every day, as long as the freight is covered. Start by seniority, and work down the list. If guys making $23+/hr. want to stay home and instead you have less-senior guys making $18-$19/hr in their place, can CGO not see they're saving $4-$5/hr.?

At the same time, on Black Out Days, when "NO ONE" gets the day off....then no one gets off, no matter what. Let there be none of this letting guys take convenience days at the last minute. These senior guys love to take advantage of that label, then let them be the ones who work the night before Thanksgiving, or the day before July 4th.

What really sucks is when those same bottom guys, who would be sitting home on those black out nights because there's no work, since no one was allowed a day off and we're way over staffed, get called in at the last minute when all of a sudden someone decides, "Gee, we're not as busy as we thought" and starts passing out convenience days. Uh uh....that street ought to work both ways. If no one get off, then no one gets off, from the top down.

"Convenience Days"?????? I have never heard this term before.........what exactly are we talking about here????

I think they should give as many convenience days as possible, every day, as long as the freight is covered. Start by seniority, and work down the list. If guys making $23+/hr. want to stay home and instead you have less-senior guys making $18-$19/hr in their place, can CGO not see they're saving $4-$5/hr.?

At the same time, on Black Out Days, when "NO ONE" gets the day off....then no one gets off, no matter what. Let there be none of this letting guys take convenience days at the last minute. These senior guys love to take advantage of that label, then let them be the ones who work the night before Thanksgiving, or the day before July 4th.

What really sucks is when those same bottom guys, who would be sitting home on those black out nights because there's no work, since no one was allowed a day off and we're way over staffed, get called in at the last minute when all of a sudden someone decides, "Gee, we're not as busy as we thought" and starts passing out convenience days. Uh uh....that street ought to work both ways. If no one get off, then no one gets off, from the top down.

So you want the best of both worlds, during the year start at the top and during the holidays start at the bottom.

Unbelievable. :chairshot:

So you want the best of both worlds, during the year start at the top and during the holidays start at the bottom.

Unbelievable. :chairshot:

I don't see how that's the best of both worlds. All I'm saying is be consistent.

By giving those days on any non-black out day of the year, and senior guys taking them, it's helping guys farther down the list get some work. That benefits senior guys (if they want) by them being able to take some time off while throwing some hours to junior guys. Who does that hurt?
Senior guy is happy for a night off (albeit, unpaid, but that's his choice), and junior guy gets to work. They're both getting what they want.

At the same time, it's the COMPANY that has a hard d!ck about these black out days and beats it into our heads how no one, under any circumstances, gets a day off on a black out day, no matter what.

All I'm saying is, if the poilicy is no one gets off, then NO ONE gets off. It's inconsistent to state a policy for months in advance and then at the last minute, totally reverse it. It isn't a junior/flex-wheel guy's fault that it's a black out day, and since everyone is working above them, there's no work for them and they're told to stay home.

If anything, as it is now, it's the senior guys giving the shaft to those below them. Funny, how on a night before a holiday, they're not so worried about making sure they're the first ones out the gate. If you're at the top of the board, then you're at the top of the board, especially on a black out night. It's not junior's fault that on a black out night, there are no convenience days allowed.

The way to solve this is no black out days. Black out days are ridiculous anyway; and I'd hope we could all agree on that.

There is already a limit on how many guys can be off any given day anyway. I don't know about you, but I've never seen a black out day where we DIDN'T end up telling guys they could have convenience days. That's stupid.

Treat it like any other day. Let guys request it off, by seniority, up to the maximum allowed off, and your problem's solved.

If you're as senior as your tone implies, then you'd get the day off anyway because you'd probably turn in a request for it. If not, then we're all being treated fairly, and that's all I'm suggesting.

I don't see how that's the best of both worlds. All I'm saying is be consistent.

By giving those days on any non-black out day of the year, and senior guys taking them, it's helping guys farther down the list get some work. That benefits senior guys (if they want) by them being able to take some time off while throwing some hours to junior guys. Who does that hurt?
Senior guy is happy for a night off (albeit, unpaid, but that's his choice), and junior guy gets to work. They're both getting what they want.

At the same time, it's the COMPANY that has a hard d!ck about these black out days and beats it into our heads how no one, under any circumstances, gets a day off on a black out day, no matter what.

All I'm saying is, if the poilicy is no one gets off, then NO ONE gets off. It's inconsistent to state a policy for months in advance and then at the last minute, totally reverse it. It isn't a junior/flex-wheel guy's fault that it's a black out day, and since everyone is working above them, there's no work for them and they're told to stay home.

If anything, as it is now, it's the senior guys giving the shaft to those below them. Funny, how on a night before a holiday, they're not so worried about making sure they're the first ones out the gate. If you're at the top of the board, then you're at the top of the board, especially on a black out night. It's not junior's fault that on a black out night, there are no convenience days allowed.

The way to solve this is no black out days. Black out days are ridiculous anyway; and I'd hope we could all agree on that.

There is already a limit on how many guys can be off any given day anyway. I don't know about you, but I've never seen a black out day where we DIDN'T end up telling guys they could have convenience days. That's stupid.

Treat it like any other day. Let guys request it off, by seniority, up to the maximum allowed off, and your problem's solved.

If you're as senior as your tone implies, then you'd get the day off anyway because you'd probably turn in a request for it. If not, then we're all being treated fairly, and that's all I'm suggesting.

Great post...

I think I agree on most of what your saying, but it is not the senior guys fault either that a black out day is change.

I don't see how you think the senior guy is shafting the Junior guy for taking a CC day on a holiday when the blackout is lifted. Should be a sign up sheet for all to sign and go from there.

Yes I'm a senior driver and I do take off for the Junior men to work through out the year. To change the rules at holidays is wrong. Either start at the top or bottom at the beginning of the year and be done with it.

Yup, good post.

Good post. Can't add much too this..

All I can say is I see no loser's with CC days. Senior drivers get the night off by choice, junior drivers work, and those in the middle bump up a number or a run.

Sounds pretty good to me.

convenience days R a good thing. No if and or buts about it. pretty simple

For that matter, even the company wins.

Happy worker units from top to bottom...???

Why would they not offer these on all non-blocked days at all terminals?? They have helped me work, and got me a night off. I am a proponent..

Yes I do take off for the junior guy to work, is that the only reason each and every time? No.

Bullshit!!! You take time because you can.
OK the junior guys get to work...I'm good with that!..but don't tell me you take time off so the juniors can work...thats just BS!!!!!

Bullshit!!! You take time because you can.
OK the junior guys get to work...I'm good with that!..but don't tell me you take time off so the juniors can work...thats just BS!!!!!

Oh really? Just because you wouldn't doesn't mean others don't. I'm not the only one at my SC that does this. We have taken off just so other drivers could work. If you don't believe it, I could care less.

I have at least 15 guys in my place who do it fairly regularly...They believe it's just as important to keep the good junior guys working, so they don't have to train any others...you can call it BS if you'd like, but I have been watching that happen my entire Con-way career..maybe not in every facility, but I haven't been in one yet that didn't have a group who wouldn't take off for that reason..

You describe a Con-world that I have never laid my eyes on. I am sure that some have said in passing or to convince you and others that they are philanthropic. Joe sez, "Hey Bob, Those new guys are needing some work so I am going to "give" them some of mine." But am also sure that NONE of those people were primarily motivated to do this out of the kindness of their heart. Joe had stuff to do or just plain did not feel like working. - But he's going to look good taking time off.

It also helps to justify the supervisors decision. "Hey Boss, I want the day off and as a bonus, new guy gets to work". I have done this myself.

But at least I won't lie and say the reason I want off is to give the new guy some work. That's like saying I go to work to help support all of those welfare recipients. Yup, I'm not here because of my mortgage.........

Talk about gullible!

You describe a Con-world that I have never laid my eyes on. I am sure that some have said in passing or to convince you and others that they are philanthropic. Joe sez, "Hey Bob, Those new guys are needing some work so I am going to "give" them some of mine." But am also sure that NONE of those people were primarily motivated to do this out of the kindness of their heart. Joe had stuff to do or just plain did not feel like working. - But he's going to look good taking time off.

It also helps to justify the supervisors decision. "Hey Boss, I want the day off and as a bonus, new guy gets to work". I have done this myself.

But at least I won't lie and say the reason I want off is to give the new guy some work. That's like saying I go to work to help support all of those welfare recipients. Yup, I'm not here because of my mortgage.........

Talk about gullible!

Well from reading your post I can understand why your not "philanthropic". There is a world where people do care about others and don't see the world in a dismal way.

You can say what you want, I have taken off, and so have others, for no other reason than to let a guy who hasn't work but one or two days. If this makes us "gullible" so be it. We have drivers just like you at our SC. They wouldn't give a dime to a driver who has been off sick or hurt and wouldn't take a day off to help someone who hasn't worked much. Talk about not understanding, I just don't get it.

I been on here a long time and I have never called someone a lier just because I disagree with them or don't understand.

This is becoming the norm here. Shameful.

Well from reading your post I can understand why you not "philanthropic". There is a world where people do care about others and don't see the world in a dismal way.

You can say what you want, I have taken off, and so have others, for no other reason than to let a guy who hasn't work but one or two days. If this makes us "gullible" so be it.

I been on here a long time and I have never called someone a lier just because I disagree with them or don't understand.

This is becoming the norm here. Shamefull.

Neither dismal nor Pollyanna is a way I like to look at the world. Just plain, simple, and accurate. No need to complicate anything. No BS. Any charitable work I do is not for publication here. It need not be broadcasted just to present myself in a light so that others will think what a great, noble, and sharing person I am. It nobody's biz, but this giving of one's work is, as it's been laid out here for debate by you.

I am sorry about the lying remark. Please accept my apology. You believe what you did was for altruistic reasons. Or to save face, you're willing to defend yourself to the end. It's easy for us to follow our actions by justifying our motives.

The gullible remark still stands as it was more intended for those that believe St. Theresa works here.

To clarify; I have NEVER seen what you are saying done. As stated before, I have seen it justified that way, but not in an honest way.