XPO | Conway Applicant

mpwelsh007

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello to all. I graduated from truck driver training school at ASU-Newport earlier this year and have been searching for a local job since then. I have been searching the messages on this board as well as classadrivers and I have heard a lot of good things about Conway, and so I went in to fill out the application today. Everything went well. I filled out all the paperwork and I have an interview tomorrow at Noon! I'm pumped. I really like the idea of driver/dock work. Seems like it would keep things interesting. I've heard that times are a little slow right now, but I'm going to give it a shot. I'll keep everyone updated on my progress!

mpwelsh007 said:
Hello to all. I graduated from truck driver training school at ASU-Newport earlier this year and have been searching for a local job since then. I have been searching the messages on this board as well as classadrivers and I have heard a lot of good things about Conway, and so I went in to fill out the application today. Everything went well. I filled out all the paperwork and I have an interview tomorrow at Noon! I'm pumped. I really like the idea of driver/dock work. Seems like it would keep things interesting. I've heard that times are a little slow right now, but I'm going to give it a shot. I'll keep everyone updated on my progress!
Good Luck and again welcome to the boards .
There are alot of good people on this forum .
I'm sure it won't be long before you get some feed back !!

UPDATE: if you've followed the post you know that i went in on monday and filled out an application. i had an interview today. i went in at noon and interviewed and all went really well. i was shown the dock and a conway pre-hire video first, after that i went out and did a road test. conway's equipment is really nice. i backed a pup into a dock on the driver side and then on the blind side, that went really well. then i hooked up a set which i had never done before. not as hard as i thought. the manager was very helpful and really easy to get along with. we then took the truck with set out and hit some city and interstate. that went well. overall, my experience in the hiring process has gone very good. everyone in the office is very friendly and the manager is very informative. he does not sugar coat anything. he told me i might not get that many hours at first and that i will be working the dock quite alot, but i don't mind that. i am willing to work my way up the ladder. i know that when i get some time in that things will be really good. so, now i have to go in on thursday morning and have my physical and drug test. i'll post back with an update on thursday!

Best of luck! It won't always be easy but everyone has been in your shoes. I've just started year number 23 and it hasn't been so bad. Hang in there and let us know how your doing.

Thanks for all the replies. I went in this morning and had my DOT physical and took the drug test. All went well with the physical and I know the drug test will be a go. So, now it's just a waiting game. The manager said that if they ok everything he will call me in and make me an offer for employment. I'll post back when I hear back. Keeping my fingers crossed!

got the call from the manager this evening and he said he wants me to come in tomorrow and make me a job offer!! i can't wait. i'll post the offer on the board once i get home tomorrow.

Congratulations, bub!! Conway is a plenty fine company to work for. Here's the secret to sucess...... repeat after me........

I will do anything, at anytime, for anyone. I will drive anything with a steering wheel, and there is no job too tedious or too dirty that I am not willing to do. I am not a prima donna. I am here to make money any way I can.

You will be successful. There is plenty of time to become a hard head. In the mean time, embrace it, and it will embrace you.

Good luck, bub!!!

Nobody

Conway is a good company but little strange this year do to economy and price increases. I am not trying to scare you off. It takes a little time to move up just hang in there. Good luck.

back from the terminal! they offered me a job @ $16.50hr to start, which is great in my book even if it's not as high as some starting wages i've read about on these boards. they are offering supplemental employment as a DSR. OK. this is for you conway guys out there. what does it mean exactly that i am a supplemental employee. does that mean i am on a probationary period for a certain amount of time? does anyone have any idea how long that period is? anyway, i am THRILLED to have gotten on there and i am going to work my tail off. i'll take any hours or jobs they have available. thanks for all of the support guys and i'll keep you updated on my start day etc. the manager said that he would be in contact with me on tuesday or wednesday of next week and let me know exactly when i would start. thanks again for the support!

Basically, it's like a probationary period. Most companies do this so, if they don't like you, they can can ya easier than if you were "full time." When I first started in Sep '04, I was supplemental. I worked full time, but with no benefits or anything (I'm not a DSR, so it may be different for you). But I hung in there and got hired on as a permanent employee after about 9 months. It's usually sooner than that, but a lot of restructuring was going on in the company at the time.

you guys also forgot to mention to this brave soul that it takes 15 months from his hire date to become a regular full time employee.

huey29 said:
you guys also forgot to mention to this brave soul that it takes 15 months from his hire date to become a regular full time employee.

Yea but he is a Newbie, he seems to have a good attitude and will be gaining valuable experience to remain there or move on if he wishes.

Jeff said:
Yea but he is a Newbie, he seems to have a good attitude and will be gaining valuable experience to remain there or move on if he wishes.
Jeff I agree if he sticks it out and in 15 months he can go on full time or move on with the experience he can right his own ticket. Just shows how the shortage of drivers is changing the LTL business.

cstaats said:
Jeff I agree if he sticks it out and in 15 months he can go on full time or move on with the experience he can right his own ticket. Just shows how the shortage of drivers is changing the LTL business.

In your professional opinion, just how bad is the shortage of drivers and is the problem increasing or decreasing....

well guys, it's great to read all the posts. this is my HO. i can not believe that i got the job at conway freight. everyone i ever talked to said that there is no way in the world that a driver like myself with zero experience could ever get hired on at an LTL. i am thrilled to be able to go work for conway. i plan on being there as long as i possibly can. the terminal is clean, the equipment is nice, the people there are all very friendly including the senior drivers and i can't wait to get started. i don't care what it takes to get to the top, i'm just going to show up and do my job the best i can. really guys, i still feel like it's a dream. i was planning on going over the road and i just put the application in based on what i had read in previous posts. i never thought i would get hired with no experience. however, i did drive a tractor/trailer hauling corn summers on the farm since the age of 14. so that helped me to ease through driving school ( i learned alot there), and it helped me to pass my road test at conway. so, we'll see what happens. i've never been more excited about a job than i am about working at conway.

huey29 said:

007, from what I've read here, this must be a C.F. Central thing. Here in the Southern company (where you and I are located) it takes 90 days to reach regular full time status.

Don't be discouraged by some of what you read here. No workforce situation is the same at any two service centers. Some terminals hire when the work is already spread too thin - some hire when they needed the help two months ago. I'd wager that Raleigh will have enough to keep you busy. Regardless, if you keep your head down and do the best job you're capable of, you'll no doubt be successful at Con-way Freight - Southern. Good luck!