XPO | ConWay driving schools?

TiredDvrsWife

TB Veteran
Credits
Just heard bits and pieces of this and wanting some information?

Does ConWay have driver training schools or is it just at certain terminals? Is it actual teaching for the CDL and driving or just the CDL? Or what? And where are they located? Thanks!

Does ConWay have driver training schools or is it just at certain terminals? Is it actual teaching for the CDL and driving or just the CDL? Or what? And where are they located? Thanks!

Only certain service centers have a driving school. I went into the website and copied and pasted the career page ... click on driver apprentice to find a driver school

Con-way: Con-way Freight-LTL Wrapping

At our sc we used to train none cdl divers.They were actual Cdl qualified to train,teach to drive & give them the run down on everything they need to pass the CDL,test pretrip & the whole nine yards.(Even drive trips & backing too)
We haven't had that program for a while now,The driver can spend weekends w/one of vet drivers on backing up,driving doubles,triples & learn the airbrake system,but it's all on his or her own time now.Then he or she has to do go to DMV & take the written,pretrip & the road test.
That's out here though it was costing too much revenue.

You'll save thousands of dollars going to the University of Con-way's "Driver Apprentice Program" rather than going to a dedicated Truck driving school.

They prefer you come fully loaded with permit and endorsements. (Doubles-HazMat)
If you should get hired without them, you have a certain amount of time to obtain them or your out of the program.

You get paid to work the dock and learn the outbound system to hone your future skills.

Call the service center of choice and ask if they have that program, if not, they can advise you where the closest service center would be to train.

Depending on the trainer, It's a great program with hands on training.

LFW has one for LFW and LAT . LDA also has one and i think LGT also but not 100% sure .
LFW has trained drivers for LAB also . they got hired at LAB relocated to Ft Worth for the length of the course . then went back to LAB to work .

At my barn they have a DOT certified trainer. He teaches the course and gives the test. No need for students to go to DMV to get their license. The course consists of 13 weeks of training. Students are required to get their permits before classes start. They are hired as part timers while in school. They have class from 2 to 4 pm and 8 hrs on Saturdays on their own time, after 4pm they clock in and work the outbound dock. After graduating they must go over the grapevine grade with a driver trainer, thats me, for two trips. They must prove to me that they can downshift and upshift on the mountain and keep the truck under control at all times. They must also learn how to come down the hill without using the jake break. Once they have done all this they are hired on as DSR'S and put on the extra board. This was the first year that the company didn't have a school at my barn because freight levels are down. I think that we offer a great program and the accident rate among the graduates is very low. I gotta give Ed B. and Paul P. their props for putting the program together.

I got my CDL this way in Reno; I'd highly recommend it. Training was intensive and hands on. It does make for long days when you train for 6 hours take an hour off and then work 5-7 hours of dock. You won't be earning much while in traing, a good check for a week was $400.

My group started with 5 and ended with 2. Two dropped out for personal reasons, and one guy failed the mid-term.

Given the slow economy I think most/all of the schools are not running right now.

I did my two linehaul runs going from URE to USA over Donner. It was intense; nothing like pulling your 1st loaded set on a big hill.

At my barn they have a DOT certified trainer. He teaches the course and gives the test. No need for students to go to DMV to get their license. The course consists of 13 weeks of training. Students are required to get their permits before classes start. They are hired as part timers while in school. They have class from 2 to 4 pm and 8 hrs on Saturdays on their own time, after 4pm they clock in and work the outbound dock. After graduating they must go over the grapevine grade with a driver trainer, thats me, for two trips. They must prove to me that they can downshift and upshift on the mountain and keep the truck under control at all times. They must also learn how to come down the hill without using the jake break. Once they have done all this they are hired on as DSR'S and put on the extra board. This was the first year that the company didn't have a school at my barn because freight levels are down. I think that we offer a great program and the accident rate among the graduates is very low. I gotta give Ed B. and Paul P. their props for putting the program together.
DOWN-SHIFT? Hell I don't think I could even pass that test. I've been in the city too long.

I just thought of a few things to add to my post.

Wait until you pass the mid-term to pay the ~$100 to get your Haz-Mat endorsement.

As a dock to driver you will become regular after 30 days of going on the extra board vs the 90 for someone hired off the street with their license.

I was the last class that they tired to to the 90 days from getting you CDL BS with. At ~45 days after graduation I was given bennies.

I think they realized that they were creating a "free agent" scenario where the driver with the ink still drying could get bennies and more consistent hours from competing employers.

Wow, I wish they had this program back when I was a new driver. There were prior experience requirements then and I had to aquire that before they would even look at me. Belive me when I say that I was counting the days 'till I got that experience as CCX was the company to work for. Was told that upon retirement, all bennies would be paid - plus there would be a healthy pension.

You'd think that there would still be experienced drivers beating down our door. Excellent reputations like we enjoy are hard to tarnish.

Conway Rocks !

The schools are set up at service centers in areas where it is hard to hire experienced drivers. Most don't want to give up what they have to start at the bottom, so the schools are necessary. I have been heavily involved in 3 service center's schools in the past 6 years, and I can say the retention rate is something my instructors and I are extremely proud of. 97 graduates, 91 still with Con-way, out of 111 who started the schools. Of the 6 who are no longer with the company, 3 were due to DUI in their personal vehicles (What a waste!!!), one inherited a bunch of money and relocated to help run a family business, and 2 were let go due to company policy infractions. Why do people keep coming?? We have something offer.

The schools are set up at service centers in areas where it is hard to hire experienced drivers. Most don't want to give up what they have to start at the bottom, so the schools are necessary. I have been heavily involved in 3 service center's schools in the past 6 years, and I can say the retention rate is something my instructors and I are extremely proud of. 97 graduates, 91 still with Con-way, out of 111 who started the schools. Of the 6 who are no longer with the company, 3 were due to DUI in their personal vehicles (What a waste!!!), one inherited a bunch of money and relocated to help run a family business, and 2 were let go due to company policy infractions. Why do people keep coming?? We have something offer.
Most of our graduates go to Southeastern, Old Dominion, and UPS Freight. :funky:

Most of our graduates go to Southeastern, Old Dominion, and UPS Freight. :funky:

In my area Con-ways apprentice program was called FedEx Freights best driving school.
Even with the threatening contract of wage garnishments they still jumped ship to the competitors. The Crystal Palace rarely went after the ship jumpers.

Some stuck it out for the ICP and Sign-On bonuses.

You both are right, and I know that this goes on. Why do you think that is.? There are some good theories out there, but here are some that I know of for sure from speaking to graduates who left us, in no particular order:

1. I got tired of being "on call", I needed a more steady start time.
2. There are too many negative people and I got tired of listening to it.
3. ABC company pays better.
4. ABC company offered me P&D right away.
5. Too many rules to remember, everyone is too strict.

What I have always tried to do with applicants is paint the ugliest possible picture of their first couple years for them. I also intentionally go after the 9-10 dollar an hour warehouse worker who has forklift and loading experience under his belt, but is stuck with no advancement opportunity and wants a better life for himself. This part is not meant to sound discriminatory, but it will: preferably the young married guy with the first baby on the way, or with a couple of small children. He is the perfect candidate. Our package is very strong for the young family. However, that being said, my schools have ranged from 21-53 years of age, matters not if I see the value for Con-way in anyone. Sometimes that 50 year old brings the excellent mix of maturity and level-headedness that gives the rest of the class someone to look up to and follow.
Lastly, everyone in the service center has to be behind the program and willing to help the newbies at every opportunity. The guy with 15-25 years experience is the prime time guy, so to speak. I am gifted with many who fall into this category and who understand the importance of teaching the new guy the "correct way", because they know they will benefit from it as well. When they do that, the odds of keeping your graduates climb dramatically.

You both are right, and I know that this goes on. Why do you think that is.? There are some good theories out there, but here are some that I know of for sure from speaking to graduates who left us, in no particular order:

1. I got tired of being "on call", I needed a more steady start time.
2. There are too many negative people and I got tired of listening to it.
3. ABC company pays better.
4. ABC company offered me P&D right away.
5. Too many rules to remember, everyone is too strict.

What I have always tried to do with applicants is paint the ugliest possible picture of their first couple years for them. I also intentionally go after the 9-10 dollar an hour warehouse worker who has forklift and loading experience under his belt, but is stuck with no advancement opportunity and wants a better life for himself. This part is not meant to sound discriminatory, but it will: preferably the young married guy with the first baby on the way, or with a couple of small children. He is the perfect candidate. Our package is very strong for the young family. However, that being said, my schools have ranged from 21-53 years of age, matters not if I see the value for Con-way in anyone. Sometimes that 50 year old brings the excellent mix of maturity and level-headedness that gives the rest of the class someone to look up to and follow.
Lastly, everyone in the service center has to be behind the program and willing to help the newbies at every opportunity. The guy with 15-25 years experience is the prime time guy, so to speak. I am gifted with many who fall into this category and who understand the importance of teaching the new guy the "correct way", because they know they will benefit from it as well. When they do that, the odds of keeping your graduates climb dramatically.

You pretty much nailed it with the reasons why they leave.
I like the way you present Con-way upfront. (Present the ugliness first and than spread the love later)

This way, if the prospective employee is hired, he/she is aware of what they have gotten themselves into. No surprises and no "He Lied To Me" issues.
It's a good tactic to weed out the "I want a job at all cost" candidate.

I know the P&D driver is the best recruiter to help bring in that shipping and receiving worker. It's good word of mouth advertising.
It's always good to keep these drivers informed of your hiring needs.
Than you have the disgruntled driver who will tell every inquisitive person to go elsewhere.