Cool stuff

Kinda sad....
I've seen several runaway engines from various causes, turbocharger breaks and pumps oil into the intake etc. Back in Breeze's days, trucks had 'oil bath' air cleaners. It was not uncommon for someone to overfill the reservoir, then the truck got on a steep grade or on steep shoulder & oil spills into intake. Lots of times they grenade & not much left but scrap.

I've seen several runaway engines from various causes, turbocharger breaks and pumps oil into the intake etc. Back in Breeze's days, trucks had 'oil bath' air cleaners. It was not uncommon for someone to overfill the reservoir, then the truck got on a steep grade or on steep shoulder & oil spills into intake. Lots of times they grenade & not much left but scrap.
I've seen the old 200 Cummins with the double disc pump runaway if you forgot to close the bypass valve.

I've heard the old Macks with the hydraulic governor would runaway, but I've never seen it happen.

I've heard the old Macks with the hydraulic governor would runaway, but I've never seen it happen.
I saw two runaways from the tech not pulling the CAC & cleaning out the oil after replacing a broken turbocharger. One blew the clutch apart along with destroying the engine. One was a Mack I was given the job to repair. The next time both techs pulled the CAC before starting the engine. I saw a multi-fuel engine destroyed when I was overseas, the service guy washed the wire mesh air filter in diesel fuel then put it back in without drying it.

The old Detroits had a flap on the blower in case of runaway.
If an injector stuck, it would runaway, but most times that happened in the no-fuel position.
I always heard if you closed the flap in runaway, it could suck in the blower seals, but with no air, not going to keep running, I don't think.

I saw two runaways from the tech not pulling the CAC & cleaning out the oil after replacing a broken turbocharger. One blew the clutch apart along with destroying the engine. One was a Mack I was given the job to repair. The next time both techs pulled the CAC before starting the engine. I saw a multi-fuel engine destroyed when I was overseas, the service guy washed the wire mesh air filter in diesel fuel then put it back in without drying it.
Doc, I have a 2.7 twin turbo (Better Idea) with 63k miles.
It smokes in the morning when first started, I think the seals in the turbos are leaking, it uses no oil.
I'm thinking about sending you the turbos to reseal if you will send me a pu to drive while you make repairs.

The old Detroits had a flap on the blower in case of runaway.
If an injector stuck, it would runaway, but most times that happened in the no-fuel position.
I always heard if you closed the flap in runaway, it could suck in the blower seals, but with no air, not going to keep running, I don't think.
The later year Detroits did not have that flap. There were two ways to stop a runaway on them, take a hammer & break a fuel line or put a book over the air inlet.

Doc, I have a 2.7 twin turbo (Better Idea) with 63k miles.
It smokes in the morning when first started, I think the seals in the turbos are leaking, it uses no oil.
I'm thinking about sending you the turbos to reseal if you will send me a pu to drive while you make repairs.
The seals probably are leaking some while the turbo is still. As I remember on some turbos the seals actually seal better while the turbo is spinning. I can let you borrow 'Ole Blue', a 78 3/4 ton 4 spd. 454. that is if you can still shift a manual transmission after being spoiled on electronic controlled, automatic everything trucks. However there are no warning lights, you will have to watch manual oil pressure, temperature gauges & volt meter. Also no intermittent wipers or back up camera but it does have the old 'West Coast' mirrors, that you have to adjust from outside the vehicle, (they still work), isn't old technology amazing? The dimmer switch is on the floor beside the clutch pedal, remember that?

The seals probably are leaking some while the turbo is still. As I remember on some turbos the seals actually seal better while the turbo is spinning. I can let you borrow 'Ole Blue', a 78 3/4 ton 4 spd. 454. that is if you can still shift a manual transmission after being spoiled on electronic controlled, automatic everything trucks. However there are no warning lights, you will have to watch manual oil pressure, temperature gauges & volt meter. Also no intermittent wipers or back up camera but it does have the old 'West Coast' mirrors, that you have to adjust from outside the vehicle, (they still work), isn't old technology amazing? The dimmer switch is on the floor beside the clutch pedal, remember that?
Thanks, I can handle it all except the 454, I've owned one and we have a limited gas supply here on the island.:lmao:
The first Brigadier I drove was an experience.
I stopped about 50 miles from Charl, it had gotten dark, and I couldn't find the dimmer switch.
Lights were on high beam, (shows my good pre-trip) I had to call the shop and ask where it was located
On my next trip, the shop used masking tape to identify everything on the truck, door handle, seat, steering wheel, and the whole 9 yards.

I read online that this is not an uncommon problem with Ford.

Thanks, I can handle it all except the 454, I've owned one and we have a limited gas supply here on the island.:lmao:
The first Brigadier I drove was an experience.
I stopped about 50 miles from Charl, it had gotten dark, and I couldn't find the dimmer switch.
Lights were on high beam, (shows my good pre-trip) I had to call the shop and ask where it was located
On my next trip, the shop used masking tape to identify everything on the truck, door handle, seat, steering wheel, and the whole 9 yards.
Apparently the hands in the shop knew you had a sense of humor. When the dimmer switch was moved to the turn signal switch there were reports of drivers getting their feet tangled up in the steering wheel spokes.