Yellow | Current retires returning to work?

One thing that I will never understand is why can't a retiree make income off their own business after they retire. (self employed) Since they qualified for their retirement, why can't they do what they want once they qualify for their pension and retire? What business is it of the pension fund, once you are qualified? I think that you should be able to do whatever you want, AFTER you retire because you paid your dues to qualify.

One thing that I will never understand is why can't a retiree make income off their own business after they retire. (self employed) Since they qualified for their retirement, why can't they do what they want once they qualify for their pension and retire? What business is it of the pension fund, once you are qualified? I think that you should be able to do whatever you want, AFTER you retire because you paid your dues to qualify.

The Reason? They don't want you to collect the pension and will put every legal impediment they can come up with in your way.

The Reason? They don't want you to collect the pension and will put every legal impediment they can come up with in your way.

YES and this is what I spent my whole life being PRO UNION I was an IDIOT , but I wasn't alone !!! But never too late to learn a thing or two !

You're exactly right Bro. Not only do I think that it is none of their business what you do after you retire, I also think that if they continue with these retiree cuts, they need to also lift the RE-employment rules, so the retirees can try to make up for the screwing that they are taking. Actually, from what I have heard, the retiree's medical costs have gone up. I think that that is B.S. also. When a person retires, they have a financial plan that will allow them to survive, then they take cuts. That is wrong. But, if they change the retiree's income and benefits so the "funds can survive", they also need to lift the retiree's income provisions.

You're exactly right Bro. Not only do I think that it is none of their business what you do after you retire, I also think that if they continue with these retiree cuts, they need to also lift the RE-employment rules, so the retirees can try to make up for the screwing that they are taking. Actually, from what I have heard, the retiree's medical costs have gone up. I think that that is B.S. also. When a person retires, they have a financial plan that will allow them to survive, then they take cuts. That is wrong. But, if they change the retiree's income and benefits so the "funds can survive", they also need to lift the retiree's income provisions.
Health care has risen twice since I retired. But I'm sure my pension will go up to compensate for the increase soon. :17113: Don't you dare go work anywhere Wolf.

I've been retired since 2008 and was informed when I retired that when any Teamster that had a career in trucking retires on a Teamsters pension.
They are only allowed to work a total of 40 hours a month driving in any trucking job,while collecting their monthly pension payments.
Union,or non-union alike,even if you were to buy or lease your own truck.
I believe the only way a Teamster retiree can come back full time is to put a hold on their pension payments,and start over like any other rookie has to do, just starting out in the industry.

I've been retired since 2008 and was informed when I retired that when any Teamster that had a career in trucking retires on a Teamsters pension.
They are only allowed to work a total of 40 hours a month driving in any trucking job,while collecting their monthly pension payments.
Union,or non-union alike,even if you were to buy or lease your own truck.
I believe the only way a Teamster retiree can come back full time is to put a hold on their pension payments,and start over like any other rookie has to do, just starting out in the industry.

This thread is basicly about the guys retired since Sept 24 2010. The pension fund said, as you pointed out, they could stop the pension and go back to work. That has always been an option, but the wording/timing left room for people to speculate like it was a new deal.

I'm still working so I'll ask the guys that are living it. I was always told you could work , just not in the industry, e.g. trucking. Was I hearing wrong?

I'm still working so I'll ask the guys that are living it. I was always told you could work , just not in the industry, e.g. trucking. Was I hearing wrong?
I believe that's correct for most. It varies from fund to fund. Central Pa. you can work in the industry if you are out of the geographic area covered by the fund. So say you retire and move to Arizona, you can do anything you want.

Yes it is true you can work in another trade as long as is not covered by the Teamsters.
But I got my union card in 1967 back then and before when I started, it was always in the by-laws that when you retire you can no longer drive a truck for a living over 40 hours per month.
However you can be a cab driver,or any type of a bus driver,but nothing over the allowable maximum time in trucking,union,or non-union.

I do know some retirees in my area who drive,or have driven small auto parts delivery trucks,but they had to get permission to do that from our NY State fund office.

Central States rules here. Full of "Therefores and Yabutts" and a suggestion to ask before ya start working. If ya go to work and it is ruled a violation the penelties have been stiff in the past. https://www.centralstatesfunds.org/CSF/pdf/reemployment_rules.pdf of

I've never understood how thats legal. These pi$$ poorly run funds act like its their money and they're only letting you have some out of the goodness of their measly hearts.
If you want to drive for Mule Nuts Trucking what business is it of theres. You earned that money yourself. Funny how you can work a government onion driving job though. I know what it is, they're pi$$ed off because they wouldn't be able to have their dirty little hands in your paycheck.
But then again, it all depends on who you are too.

I've never understood how thats legal. These pi$$ poorly run funds act like its their money and they're only letting you have some out of the goodness of their measly hearts.
If you want to drive for Mule Nuts Trucking what business is it of theres. You earned that money yourself. Funny how you can work a government onion driving job though. I know what it is, they're pi$$ed off because they wouldn't be able to have their dirty little hands in your paycheck.
But then again, it all depends on who you are too.
They will tell ya its because you could undercut the guys still working. Shoot!! Since the concessions that would be hard to do.

I agree100% after all the screwing we have taken and allowed it is not any of there business what we do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are worrying way too much about YRC guys that have 25-30 years in at age 51. They can't retire on a 25-30 and out since CSPF stopped it and the new retirement age is 65 and it's unlikely they'll work another 14 yrs or so but that money is there for them when they're 64 1 way or the other. If they gut it out working till they're 62-63 and retire they get a decent pension and social security. It's the dudes that have less then 20 now that should worry. The retirees that retired after Sept 24 2010 only will be allowed to stop checks and return to work but not at YRC. There are too many people on layoff

SmileyHalloween01-1.gif

they're too old for this crap anymore​

You are missing the point I am talkin about guys that have all time(25 and 30 years) in prior to being sucked in by YRCW (your retirement can wait) brain dead purchases, you know HOLLAND,ROADWAY,NEWPENN,I can not believe all of the **** poor excuses that I have read on here,how many times have they opened up the contract 3, THREE, TRES,III after all the bitchin and whining you all act like it is ok what they have done to our fellow brothers where the hell are you guys thinking that you are any part of the teamsters with your rules regarding retirement. Hell look how many times they have broke the contract and will keep doing it, now it is are turn to get some favors back for what we have given up. I can quote rules to THOU SHALL NOT STEAL well quess what that is what they are doing to all of us and we are letting them.

They would have to start at the bottom. They retired and that is the same as resigning. If the union let them come back with senoirity the lawsuit against them would be epic!

Correctamundo!!! Always read the fine print. It wasn't any secret that the pension was going broke, and had to be changed. If it wasn't-- they would have been sued for NOT making changes....

What about the guys that had 25 or 30 years in at Roadway, Newpenn or Holland but not the age to retire they are now screwed by YRC problems, we have guys that have 30 years in at 51 1/2 they are plain f------ !

No, they aren't. They are still employed, all they have to do is keep working til age 65-- same as I. By raising the age, the fund supposedly stays stable. Had they not changed it, THEN they (and I) would have been screwed- the fund would have gone broke...