Day 4 of truck driving school

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Hi guys,

Today is a short one believe it or not ha-ha. We had a full day at school, but it was all cut and dry stuff, Pre-Trip, HAZMAT, Accidents and Railroad Crossings.

We did talk about backing and cornering and driving a little bit. I do not have a lot of trailer experience, but I do have some, in 2008 I pulled a 12 foot double sprung U-Haul trailer from Villa Park, IL to Columbus, Ohio, with my 2001 Ford Ranger. While that is nowhere near a 53' trailer,however it is a little bit of trailer for a vehicle like the Ford truck I had at the time.

Any how I remember trying to back that little U-Haul and that little trailer ha-ha I mean 15 feet and that thing was going where ever it wanted ha-ha! It was kind of a task, my Uncle backed it into the driveway in Chicago, and then I backed it into the driveway when I got to Columbus I did make it into the driveway in Columbus it took a try or 4, but I got it. That little trailer though, boy did that thing react however if I had more time with it I would have played around some more. When I got it back to the U-Haul yard I decided I was going to back it, in it's place and I did after a couple of pull ups to straighten everything out.

Any how I raised my hand and asked the instructor if the big trailers reacted like the little trailers, (I knew the answer was no) but I needed to hear him say it. He said the bigger trailers do not react nearly as bad as the smaller trailers do he said they do wander and will go off on their own, but not like a little U-Haul trailer. Our school does own 1 pup trailer. It's actually an ex food service pup trailer, It has an old Thermo King Unit and you can tell right where the ramp on it used to be.

Any how they said they use the pup when they have a problem with students over steering. Our instructor said that pup trailers do tend to react quicker then a 45-53 footer which I can see. The one thing about a truck trailer is it's centered on the back of the truck vs a tongue and a class 3 hitch so the control of a semi trailer should be a tad better, plus it's longer length.

Any how in about 2 more weeks I'll be out in the yard. I was a littler nervous about it at first (I think that's normal) but, I am over it now, will just go slow take our time do what they tell me and will get through.

As always Thanks
Mike