ABF | Deadlock: ABF Wants to Replace Road Drivers

R-14Driver

TB Legend
Credits
August 31, 2011: The freight national change of operations committee yesterday deadlocked over ABF’s proposed change, so it will not be put into effect at this time.

The proposal was vigorously opposed by some major locals, including Kansas City Local 41, Harrisburg Local 776, Atlanta Local 728 and St Louis Local 600, because it was a move to alter the national contract, and phase out parts of the road operation. Sadly, some Teamster officials from big ABF terminals didn’t show up or only raised token objections.

ABF proposed to use utility employees to replace regular road turn-arounds and meet-and-turns, by moving 119 drivers out of the breakbulks and replacing them with utility employees at outlying terminals...........................

Deadlock: ABF Wants to Replace Road Drivers | Teamsters for a Democratic Union

Good News

I am glad the company did not get away with the coo. Can't help but wonder whats next. I understand the need for cost savings and all that but please don't ask me to vote on any concessions. Been there and done that (YRC). First this ,then that, and then it snow balls into half the people laid off and the other half workin to many hours for not enough pay and no pension payments. Be ready..... something else is coming!

Thanks for posting this R14. I am pleasantly surprised that our work was protected for time being. I'm not surprised that my local was not mentioned in the TDU writeup.

I am glad the company did not get away with the coo. Can't help but wonder whats next. I understand the need for cost savings and all that but please don't ask me to vote on any concessions. Been there and done that (YRC). First this ,then that, and then it snow balls into half the people laid off and the other half workin to many hours for not enough pay and no pension payments. Be ready..... something else is coming![/QUOTe. What does this mean? Is it dead in the water or do they have to tweak it? The reason I ask is because they said it won't go in effect at the present time....

Wow, this is good news. I am absolutely one of the road drivers that would have been effected by this change. Didn't want to move, didn't want to make less money nor get bumped to the city once bids took effect at what ever new terminal I would have transferred to.

This is a refreshing change. I worked 10 years at Yellow and actually had Tyson Johnson look me in the eye and tell me more sleeper jobs in Kansas City was a good thing. We had two major changes (KCM) where we added many sleeper jobs but took away many single-man runs. Ended up quitting after concluding the sleepers were no longer worth the sacriface.

Should not suprise anyone that it was deadlocked with election time right around the corner the union is going to say see we are working for your best intrest should the Hoffa slate win you can bet the company will win and then it will be we gave it our best shot be happy you got a job.

Now is the time we the ABF Teamsters should be talking amongst ourselves and deciding what we will and won't except. Let's not sit back and wait until the TEXASS TURN COAT BONES US! WE have proven that we can be the determining factor in our futures. But if we don't network and decide then they will. YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

On the surface I see that as a good idea, Muler....BUT inevitably management will get the scoop on what we talk about and it could show them our hand. There are always rats in the pack. It is a tough spot for us to be in. This is a textbook case of where good (or bad) union leadership makes all the difference in the world to us.

Some RAT won't tell them you will. Camera's in the lunch room, truck's and who knows where else? Safety & security ex cop's looking over your shoulder for --your-- security. Article in transport topics talked about it saying company's think we need more camer's in trucks.

It is really not a problem if the company knows we are standing strong. We are not here to break them we are here to do the right thing. We have to show the company and the IBT we will be the decision makers in the decisions for our futures. Now is the time to show everybody we mean business. We will grow and profit both parties but it will be under our terms. We are a force to be reckoned with. I for one am not afraid of being accountable for my actions. THE TEXASS TURNCOAT as made many bad decisions when it comes to dealing with the companies. We as ABF TEAMSTERS have to stand up and let all of them know we will be making the decisions as to what will and won't be acceptable. Believe me nobody thought we would win that mess the texass turncoat and his merry band of idiot threw at us during that beg back mess. But we did because we became informed and knew what the real story was. We will help ABF but in turn it will help us better the lives of our families. Soon we will all talk and I promise we will have some great ways to benefits all parties. YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

It is really not a problem if the company knows we are standing strong. We are not here to break them we are here to do the right thing. We have to show the company and the IBT we will be the decision makers in the decisions for our futures. Now is the time to show everybody we mean business. We will grow and profit both parties but it will be under our terms. We are a force to be reckoned with. I for one am not afraid of being accountable for my actions. THE TEXASS TURNCOAT as made many bad decisions when it comes to dealing with the companies. We as ABF TEAMSTERS have to stand up and let all of them know we will be making the decisions as to what will and won't be acceptable. Believe me nobody thought we would win that mess the texass turncoat and his merry band of idiot threw at us during that beg back mess. But we did because we became informed and knew what the real story was. We will help ABF but in turn it will help us better the lives of our families. Soon we will all talk and I promise we will have some great ways to benefits all parties. YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

Sounds good to me, Brother, if we can only convince others to follow. BUT with the "leadership" we have in Washington I feel a broomstick coming our way. And let us not forget the company's effective tactics. We all know that they can manipulate their numbers to make it look like they're losing money and the large numbers of people who buy into it. Top that if off with a bad economy and the outlook looks grim.

Should not suprise anyone that it was deadlocked with election time right around the corner the union is going to say see we are working for your best intrest should the Hoffa slate win you can bet the company will win and then it will be we gave it our best shot be happy you got a job.

NO...it deadlocked because the Locals raised hell (Mine is Local 728) that it was replacing road work with UE drivers...that is against what was agreed to at NMFA negogiations in 2008....oh snap!....ABF was not there were they? Don't sign a "me Too" and then claim memory loss in a COO. They got called on it...they ain't going to replace these guys on the road period!

I would expect they will do something stupid now and ask to put road drivers at EOL terminals to run to the hub...and we all know that don't work either!....KK

NO...it deadlocked because the Locals raised hell (Mine is Local 728) that it was replacing road work with UE drivers...that is against what was agreed to at NMFA negogiations in 2008....oh snap!....ABF was not there were they? Don't sign a "me Too" and then claim memory loss in a COO. They got called on it...they ain't going to replace these guys on the road period!

I would expect they will do something stupid now and ask to put road drivers at EOL terminals to run to the hub...and we all know that don't work either!....KK
So is using a outside non union delivery service everyday for home deliveries. But yet yrc does it. Why doesn't the IBT and Locals put a stop to that. After all it is in the contract that you speak of I believe Article 32 Subcontracting.. Please don't start slamming ABF after all yrc hasn't lived up to one thing that is in that contract. The question of being part of the NMFA or not is in the hands of the courts. And I would also ask that we wait and see what ABF does. If we are going to guess what the next move of our companies are it would not go well for yrc. As for the NMFA I for one believe that ABF has lived up to the contents of the contract. HAS yrc? As a Teamsters I would hope that an elected official would not come here and show another Teamster company in a bad light unless he also speaks about the real violator in this contract dispute. And as you will soon see we the ABF Teamsters will decide what ABF will and will not receive in the form of a CHANGE! Which company did or do you work for? YOUR WONDERING BROTHER ALWAYS!

To say that I am not really disappointed with this post would not be true. KK after all yrc and the IBT has done to the yrc Teamsters over the last several years to call ABF out for a change of operations request is just wrong.The real question would be why did they think that the IBT would approve it.There are thousands of yrc Teamsters that got their pensions disallowed or greatly reduced due to the actions of yrc and the IBT. I would ask that we wait and see what becomes of the ABF change proposal.

ABF wanted the same as YRCW....The IBT put it to you in a vote....the only difference is ABF members voted no....YRCW members voted yes...They wanted to replace Road drivers with UE drivers....NMFA say NO....end of story......KK

ABF wanted the same as YRCW....The IBT put it to you in a vote....the only difference is ABF members voted no....YRCW members voted yes...They wanted to replace Road drivers with UE drivers....NMFA say NO....end of story......KK
End of story????? NMFA has been broken down & torn apart to the point that it will take yrc several contracts just to get back to where they were before all the givebacks!!! ABF asks for a change to keep up with the times & their denied seems the union wont be happy until were in the same boat as yrc....