FedEx Freight | Delay Time, YES or NO

isom09

TB Lurker
Credits
We are told to show up for work early enough to hook and be out the gate on our gate time. Now, I understand this because we get paid for the hook and they don't have to pay for a pretrip. So I come in 1hr to 30mins early to get this done and then I get my hook sheet right on the min or 1 to 2mins before the gate time and then they tell me they don't want to pay me twice. The book doesn't say they pay 30mins time for a hook, it says they pay what is equal to 30 mins. So, the way it reads is they pay us for that service weather or not it takes 30mins. And I was wondering what that has to do with the delay time past the gate time. And the same goes for the meet and turn. You have to give them 30min and then 30min for lunch and then 15min for pretrip. So I have been told. And I guess my ? here would be, I have done give them 30min and if the other guy had showed up on time then I would have done the pretrip within that free 30min.

At Freight, You are supposed to get your hook sheet at your show up time. Then your 30 min hook period begins. If your are getting your hooks moments before your gate time then there is no way you can complete them on time. I would be charging delay based on late seal. Sometimes a hook at the dock is possible while they finish the back box based on verbal instructions and it is still possible to make your gate.

This is a hotly contested debate at our barn as well. And they say the same thing at our place too. Until there is a cut and dried memo on it as to how it is SUPPOSED to be done nothing is going to change!

U are suppose to arrive at work with enough time to get all your stuff in the truck, hook, pretrip and be out the gate on time (no pay, but freight gets 15 mins for this). If you have to build a set then u get paid for a hook(30 mins). The 45 mins at the meet place is broken down as a 30 mintue lunch with a 15 min swap and inspection (no pay but frieght gets 15 mins). Thats if u can get to meet place within the "have to take your lunch by 3.5 or before your 5th hour". If you dont get there within 4.75 hours then you have to take your lunch before you get there and then you only have to show the 15 inspection. Thats how we do it out west but every yard a little bit different.

I run a relay on both ends. I wait for the guy that runs a turn around, to the north. He is late an average of 45 min's a night, for my cut/gate time! 9 days a pay period! I cry all the way to the bank. Is this good for the Company, no. Have I brought this to my managers attn., yes. Do they care, :nono: And, maybe 2 days a pay period, my meet driver from the south is late. That's usually, 2-3 hrs. :clap: Does FXF get paid for things FXN doesn't, YES. Does FXN have tag readers on our trucks and trailers, NOOOOOOO. Why do FedEx Express and Ground have TAG READERS? They are on an airport schedule. :stir: but be careful what you :rant: about. Start your day on the computer at your show time, Draw your line from 1 to 4, show dispatch, ask for your cut sheet. If not ready, ask if they want you to clock in. If this is your Fight, then Fight! Goodluck

While I dont understand how FXNL handles the linehaul, no gate scanners or clear cut rules, I'll tell yall how they did it freight when I was there. You show up ur show time or 30 minutes before if you choose to,u can leave on your gate time. Get hooks get hooked pre trip and out the gate by gate time and they do know if your late. If you show and your hooks arent ready for 30 minutes after your show time you go on delay pay. You get to your meet point and other drivers not there gotta give them 30 minutes which coulf be your lunch if driver is still not there take your lunch. If meet driver is still not there go on delay gotta call central and let them know though. This whole business at FXNL( I'm P& D there) of drivers checking themselves in and arriving themselves and dispatching themselves seems to me like a waste of the drivers time and company time since those trailers cant be broke until the driver chacks himself in and then the strip manifest is made. Anyway although I do like it very much at FXNL there are some things I wish they'd adopt from FXFE to make it easier on the drivers. JMHO O to answer the question you get paid 30 minutes to hook whether it takes you 10 minutes or 30 unless you have equipment failure then you get delay time on top of the 30 if it takes over 30 to fix it........sorry to ramble on but the Wild Turkey is kicking in