TForce | Disappointed

onepnchko

Dock Slave
Credits
I am a new hire top ups freight and I have to say i am suprised we are able to ever service any freight. I came from a different freight company(and I thought they were disorganized...) When hired I got 2 days training in a classroom then was supposed to have 5 days mentoring. I had 1 and they established I was good already and put me out on my own. No big deal. (the first thing my mentor says is "you can take as many bathroom breaks as you want and they cant say anything to you)
Here is where my rant starts:
When I hit the dock everyday I see people on lifts paired up all down the dock. As I walk down they look at me and slowly split off and pretend to work again.

When I introduced myself to a group of Sups I said hi mi name is BLANK, they turned and one said "O.K."

I got a breaker and was the 3rd guy to be working on that trailer.

I don't know if it's me or if this operation is a joke...

Well I was hoping someone intelligent would reply. I am curious if it is like this at all terminals or just mine... oh well judging by your replies my fears are confirmed. UPS Freight employs mostly dumb *****!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I was hoping someone intelligent would reply. I am curious if it is like this at all terminals or just mine... oh well judging by your replies my fears are confirmed. UPS Freight employs mostly dumb *****!!!

You got to give your thread some time. Replies aren't as instantaneous as other LTL threads.
We toss around a lot of sarcasm in the UPSF forum.
Not all UPSF terminals are run bad. Not all LTL companies are run the same.
You either go with the flow or continue to find that "Perfect" job.
Overall, UPS Freight is doing real well in this economy.
One day they will get a handle on the overall operation and make all terminals run more efficiently.
I came from Con-way and I can say they ran a very tight ship.

You have to make the best of your situation, you can't worry about what others around you do, break your trailers and leave if you want a successful career here you have to either not get involved in the politics or learn to keep it seperate.

No, not every terminal is like that some are ran better than others.Nyou now work for a company that considers you a number and you are replacable. In your situation you have to use everything to your advantage when you get in trouble for somthing file your grievance and state on that you were not properly trained, they can only prove they trained you if you sign the training documents so don't sign them unless you are confident you understand them.

You work for the best company right now once the economy starts ramping up people will be fighting to come here, your already here and will have seniority on them get your cdl if you don't already have it and enjoy making $60k a year.

Hey onepnchko,

I am a driver trainer and if you are a city driver should have had 5 days class room and 5 days ride along with a Mentor. 3 of those 5 class room days should have been textbook and videos. The other two days of class room should have been space and visibility, backing and hooking doubles. The same goes for a road driver. If you are just a dockworker you will have 2 1/2 days in the class room and 3 days working with a Mentor. Sometimes we have to throw you to the dogs depending on how busy we are and then follow up with the rest of the training. If I were you speak to the terminal Manager and express your concerns. That class room training is mandatory and you must have the training and sign off on all the forms that you received the training. It is all about being held accountable your Manager is going to be responsible for your training it will be on him if something goes wrong. If that does not get you anywhere contact HR and your Shop Steward. We are a not double dumb @$$es!

Welcome to Overnite where No body cares and every body passes the buck. I thought that UPSF would have the best services standards in LTL market. What a JOKE!? WE are still Overnite after 5 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to Overnite where No body cares and every body passes the buck. I thought that UPSF would have the best services standards in LTL market. What a JOKE!? WE are still Overnite after 5 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That maybe so but we are better off than the folks at YRC.

Quit then if your not happy instead of complaining. Havent you learned in life yet that this isnt a perfect world and UPS isnt perfect, nor will they ever be. Make the best of it and quit buzzkilling everyone. I determine my happiness in the Lord. God,family,friends are what actually matters. If working anywhere were so great,then why would they have to pay you to work? Come on people if its so bad then why are all of us sticking around? Make it better. Lets be positive. We work for the number one trucking company. Im not sticking up for the company, nor am i a company man, but i get sick and tired of all you whiners who do nothing to change things. Enjoy life and lets make the best of what we have, not what we dont have. Im leaving for church now where im gonna praise my Lord and thank him for what i have. Look around and see what alot of people dont have.

this is my board and I do not whine....I do have many greivances filed and how many have you filed, how many arbitrations have you won....how many times have you been put out of service, fired and suspended, and I am still here fighting for the contract and have been fighting the contract since the days of motor cargo, when no one heard or cared about the name overnite...guess what we still don't.....

I'm a retired UPS Freight safety trainer,and yes I agree the training should be 5 days ride along,as well as at the least watching Haz-mat,fork lift,and rollover video's.

As far as your location you only know what the store is there.
However my terminal was closer to the UPS standard that (UPS RUNS THE TIGHTEST SHIP IN SHIPPING).

45 years working the dock,and running around my city,for 15 different companies who have all closed their doors.
I had my own little motto (Do your best,and don't worry about the rest.)
In other words work so when you do leave the boss hates to see you go.
Don't work in a way they want to fire you as soon as they can find a way to do it.

I dont believe i was talking about you originalwebidiot. I dont care who's board this is out of respect. Does it matter how many grievances i have filed? (well over 50). I have attended every local we have ever had. I have been to regionals,nationals and just about everything there is. Im a steward who fights very hard,as if it was me on the line. I am available 24-7 to our guys. But still my brother i am only casting my opinion and am truly sorry if i offended you or any of our other brothers.

...yupp,be on time,work smart...and the rest will take care of itself....you`re new...instant acceptance isnt going to happen...heck you might even be knocking out someones overtime...just chill...and follow Apostolic`s very wise moto..

(Do your best,and don't worry about the rest.)