R&L | Do Rl Line Drivers Hit The Dock?

fontucky

TB Lurker
Credits
Wondering if RL linehaul drivers are required to hit the dock or if they just do it by choice to get more hours? Any info would be appreciated TIA. Im coming from YRC and have the option between FedEx freight and RL. But from what i hear fX hits the dock even if you're a 25yr veteran as a part of their bid and have no choice.

Wondering if RL linehaul drivers are required to hit the dock or if they just do it by choice to get more hours? Any info would be appreciated TIA. Im coming from YRC and have the option between FedEx freight and RL. But from what i hear fX hits the dock even if you're a 25yr veteran as a part of their bid and have no choice.

It depends on the run, even then it’s your choice, you can choose to sit and wait for your freight and not get paid while you wait, or hop on a lift and help out and get paid.

It depends on the run, even then it’s your choice, you can choose to sit and wait for your freight and not get paid while you wait, or hop on a lift and help out and get paid.

What terminals does this happen at?
Never heard of a linehaul driver working the dock at another terminal.
Some terminals have combo drivers that work the dock at their home terminal. Not a lot of combo drivers around, as far as I know.

Some terminals have combo drivers that work the dock at their home terminal. Not a lot of combo drivers around, as far as I know.

In California Fontana meets Sacramento in Fresno and they work the dock when they get there. Also, I know a Reno driver that comes down to Sac and works the dock then comes back. Maybe it’s just a west coast thing?

While at fx i guess its just the luck of the draw. If you're from a small terminal.. doesn't matter how much seniority you have you're hitting the dock. From what I've been reading on these forums and from what my buddy who was at fx tells me its pays to be out of a central hub like SBO MRL or KTL. Any other center is "tiny". Not many runs at all and you'll hit the dock while you wait in line for your freight. With no choice. Which i dont mind for a few hours to complete my hours goal but I'm not trying to be a dock worker with truck keys.

Last edited:
Don’t understand why anyone would want to sit there for free, when you could load your freight, and maybe get out of there quicker, and get paid for it? Better than sitting in a break room listening to people complain about everything else.

In California Fontana meets Sacramento in Fresno and they work the dock when they get there. Also, I know a Reno driver that comes down to Sac and works the dock then comes back. Maybe it’s just a west coast thing?

Has to be. I know a bunch of line drivers that would blow the phones up in Wilmington if anyone suggested such a thing.

Don’t understand why anyone would want to sit there for free, when you could load your freight, and maybe get out of there quicker, and get paid for it? Better than sitting in a break room listening to people complain about everything else.

I must have been sitting in the wrong break room, I've never heard a truck driver complain about anything.

While at fx i guess its just the luck of the draw. If you're from a small terminal.. doesn't matter how much seniority you have you're hitting the dock. From what I've been reading on these forums and from what my buddy who was at fx tells me its pays to be out of a central hub like SBO MRL or KTL. Any other center is "tiny". Not many runs at all and you'll hit the dock while you wait in line for your freight. With no choice. Which i dont mind for a few hours to complete my hours goal but I'm not trying to be a dock worker with truck keys.
As far as I know at FXF any run one-way shorter than 200mi means you work the dock while waiting for your freight to go back. You get paid your driver's hourly wages while on the dock.

Our L/H drivers very rarely work the dock. The pay comes out of the terminals bottom line so most terminal mgr's don't want to pay a driver from another terminal to work their dock. It does happen on occasion. Only time you'll be paid is when you go thru another terminal to or from your destination. Unless you get hired as a combo then you probably will be working the dock at your home yard.