SAIA | Dock work linehaul

Ratchet

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello wondering if someone help with little information. Linehaul position posted in my area. And am wondering does linehaul require dock work? And if not what does a driver do if trailers aren’t ready to head back to original home terminal? Meaning are paid delay time sit n wait? Or do they keep you rolling to another terminal or do sit n wait with no pay?

We don't drive forklifts. I believe you get delay after 1 hour past gate time. As a new linehaul driver you'll likely be a "system driver". That means you'll sometimes be out all week then back home for the weekend. It just depends on the needs of your terminal.

Learn how to work the dock at your home terminal. Then you can offer to work at a break, if you’re so inclined.

Learn how to work the dock at your home terminal. Then you can offer to work at a break, if you’re so inclined.
Currently at FedEx. Been working dock 16 years and my multiple back surgeries and getting older jus aren’t working out. Driving and on/off forklift not problem. But recouping freight building decks etc etc is becoming more difficult. And management is taking this company backwards. So ready for change. Jus want to drive

Saia thought when they put driver facing cameras in the trucks that all if not most companies would have them by now ,or at least mandated by fmcsa. In my humble opinion they are preventing us from getting the most qualified drivers to apply.
Its an invasion of privacy. Some companies with them dont allow drinking or eating while driving and if the camera comes on and catches you well its a trip to the supervisor for correction.

We don't drive forklifts. I believe you get delay after 1 hour past gate time. As a new linehaul driver you'll likely be a "system driver". That means you'll sometimes be out all week then back home for the weekend. It just depends on the needs of your terminal.
So terminal to terminal closest is 154 miles one way. So if I were to run to that terminal and then dispatch is gonna send me straight back but trailers won’t be closed and ready for say 3 hours do you jus sit out in truck with no pay or what? Example I run our shortest run here at FedEx it terminal to terminal 162 one way. I roll gate 20:00 arrive at hub 23:00 they give you 30 minutes to drop your set and give 15 minutes to fuel and then it’s optional if you want to take your 30 minute break or not. So at 00:15 your expected to show for dock work. My cut time is 3:30 and out gate at 4. If my trailers are done early and not needing help on dock they might let you leave early. Other times you can be dispatched home no sooner than you get there and they’ll keep you till your cut time. Which is BS So forgive my ignorance but I’ve worked the dock so long that I do not understand how sone of the Ltl carriers don’t work the dock. Thought of changing jobs is scary for me so I have several questions. Haha. So if this was saja in that scenario would I sit in truck all that time? With or without pay? Or is your cut times not as far out? Thanks guys

Hello wondering if someone help with little information. Linehaul position posted in my area. And am wondering does linehaul require dock work? And if not what does a driver do if trailers aren’t ready to head back to original home terminal? Meaning are paid delay time sit n wait? Or do they keep you rolling to another terminal or do sit n wait with no pay?
If you're there 30mins after your CUT time you'll have to call in to ask for pay. BUT Saia gives you a bunch of time dispatch to dispatch. So likely you'll be there earlier and have to wait unpaid longer. If you would like to ask the HUB to work on the dock or do yard moves I'd recommend it cant hurt to ask. You're not obligated to like fedex freight or xpo

Nahh , I most of us will pass on that (unionize)
I dont see the Union being a big deal in trucking anymore. Maybe up northeast a little, But it wont happen to the bigger carriers. They will just shut down the terminal and fire everybody. Seen it happen. A year or so later re open it with new workers. So keep a job or go union and no job. Most people need to provide for their families. Is every thing fair well no but the fair come around once a year usually in the fall.