XPO | dockworker attitudes

here_and_back

TB Lurker
Credits
just wondering if my barn is the only one with pt dockworkers that just dont care about the freight. i dont see the need to trash the freight (even the crappy stuff) for no real good reason.

just wondering if my barn is the only one with pt dockworkers that just dont care about the freight. i dont see the need to trash the freight (even the crappy stuff) for no real good reason.

why don't they care... that's the question to be asked.

with most new dock workers there is no hook, nothing that ties that employee emotionally to the job or the freight. Someone needs to take the time to explain exactly who owns each piece of freight they handle. An easy example would be to take an empty carton taped shut and demonstrate that the box represents something they have ordered. Right before you hand it off to them smash it, stab it, destroy it. Then ask them how as a dock worker their actions can affect our company.

Often it's knowledge they lack as a new employee. Remember the old billboard... "a mind is a terrible thing to waste".

You get what you pay for. Are you going to care for $14 an hour, no benefits, no job security. I personally don't like the idea of dockworkers but if we must have them, hire them as full time employees,pay them better,and give them benefits. I would be willing to bet you there attitudes towards our customers freight would change.

You get what you pay for. Are you going to care for $14 an hour, no benefits, no job security. I personally don't like the idea of dockworkers but if we must have them, hire them as full time employees,pay them better,and give them benefits. I would be willing to bet you there attitudes towards our customers freight would change.

I used to think the same way radman but then I thought about it and most of the dockworkers I've seen at XNJ and XCV care more about the freight than some of the drivers. Maybe the lack of job security actually motivates them not to destroy everything in their path, maybe they were trained better, maybe they're just better human beings... FWIW I call out everyone I see damaging freight whether it be deliberately, trying to stuff it in a place where it obviously wont fit, or negligently because they just don't know any better, and trust me it's not just the dockworkers. There's one supervisor I can think of who encourages this behavior on a nightly basis so his load factor looks good... Just saying.