ODFL | does this go on at other terminals???

Yes,another who know's how it is..I thought we all work'd for "The Man".You work for "The Man" anywhere you go.Unless you working for yourself.
well we are all lucky in this economy to even have a job. i know at my terminal there are about 5 days a day that don't work because ther isn't that much freight. second if you drive line haul then go to gbo waiting 30. min is a blessing. we should all be thankful we work for od they haven't messed with pay or anything else. i run line haul and can tell you i lose about 4 hours a week waiting and i don't get paid for that. i know the gbo line-haul waits on average 2-3 hours every night which he dosn't get paid for. of coarse your alternative is welfare which then you have the state paying for everything then you feel bascially worthless i have been down that road for a couple of months before od and it is a horrible feeling. be thankful for what you have. its not roses everyday but its a good place to work dont believe me go try out conway or saia and i have worked for both and wont go back to either one.

Will someone tell me something ? Should get the senior drivers get more hours for P and D ? Just asking .......and is every term doing the 10 stops per run? I love OD but just wanted to see what goes on else where at terms. Does anyone see any favorites played where they are??? Should drivers below you be able to punch the clock before you ?

I was at a terminal the other day and the terminal manager was having a discussion with some of the drivers
about their start times. He was telling them he wants them to come in for 9am everyday, and if there loads are ready they can punch in and go to work. If their loads aren't ready they have to wait until 9 :30 to punch in. This didn't make sense to me because if the terminal manager says be there for 9 am then you should be able to punch in?? Correct?? He said at his old terminal in NJ thats how they do it?
They do that here at Estes..Most of the time though,the drivers don't wait the entire 30 minutes...I think,they might be getting their stuff together,finally..But I could be wrong..

That is the main reason OD is where it is today."Union Free"They will keep it that way.No thank's to someone taking my money&making decission for me..By the the way the big pension's everyone talk's about ..What a joke..They can't even pay them now..Trying to get a bailout..No Thank's..
outlaw88 odfl is not union so they can do what they want rather it is right or wrong.

My pension check cashes just fine each month.
Please kenneth tell us who can't pay them now please ...
Bail out ???
That is the main reason OD is where it is today."Union Free"They will keep it that way.No thank's to someone taking my money&making for me..By the the way the big pension's everyone talk's about ..What a joke..They can't even pay them now..Trying to get a bailout..No Thank's..

Silly stuff?? Number 1 if the terminal manager tells you to be there at a certain time you should punch in at that time. Number 2 yea it's only a half a hour but look at it this way
30 minutes a day=2 1/2 hours a week=10 hours a month= 120 hours a year . That 3 weeks pay, but your right this is silly ?? Some guys crack me up !

Ignorance is bliss I guess.

My pension check cashes just fine each month.
Please kenneth tell us who can't pay them now please ...
Bail out ???
Do a google or any search, as of 2010, Teamster pension fund only had 59.3% of reserve funds to meet the current obligations. Gotten worse. Basically you are taking 40.7% from those who are currently paying in, so like social security, just screwing the next generation. So, only a government theft from private sector will keep the pension solvent. Long as you get yours, do understand that mentality, sure your current brothers will thank your generation. So, yes your check cashes fine. Sounds like you will profit from the Pongee Scheme.

TAKE THE TEAMSTERS/NON UNION COMMENTS TO THAT FORUM before this gets bigger as it always does.Anybody that does not understand send me a p/m.Some OD are fishing for teamsters just for the fight as some teamsters are to get in one SO take the crap to that forum.OD is a non union company,is not organizing anywhere so why debate/argue over it on the company forum ?

jim bob you are so right... odfl seems to be a great place but
they need to train there supervisors to have respect for the work
ers. especially the T.M. like the one in norfolk,va... guess thats
why saia got rid of him...

jim bob you are so right... odfl seems to be a great place but
they need to train there supervisors to have respect for the work
ers. especially the T.M. like the one in norfolk,va... guess thats
why saia got rid of him...

You're right.The supers that started out on the bottom at OD and worked their way up seemed to understand the business and how to work people better.

From running wild nationally, as stated previous, the issues complained about are individual terminal related. Don't pass up to speak to upper management when they come around. I have, never been hurt by speaking up. Little over a month ago a TM was let go and replaced by a dang good fellow here in our region. Terminal conditions and employee relations have greatly improved. Know if you play in only 1 sandbox, and conditions are lacking, it can suck. If gripe is legit, drop a line to corp. If it's just a grip, understand some will never be happy.

well this guy backstrap dosnt know what he is talking about they didnt get rid of him because he did a bad job. saia came up with this brilliant idea to lay off terminal mangers to cut cost. they laid off all the Virginia tms, some in north Carolina and south Carolina. and the vp of saia who came up with that idea got fired 1 month after they laid them off and he didn't call me i called him about 2 months after he was at od just to set the story straight and that position was open even before he was hired as tm at od. at saia everyone is on the chopping block. apparently backstrap has an issue with the tm at od in Norfolk nothing i can do about that. but you should have your facts before he start hanging people out to dry. and we only had a working relationship only one guy i know that hung out with him outside of work but they where friends way before he was terminal manager and transferred to another state with saia before the layoffs where done.

WOW, What a blog this has turned out to be. I have worked at service centers where drivers' P&D were not allowed to punch in until told to. I can remember myself being one of those to this day (left home at 0530 got to job at 0625. Was told do NOT punch in until told to, normal punch tiime was 0700. Waited in drivers' room until 1030, spoke up then and asked what was going on, still waiting for loads. I said to dispatcher, " I am going home". he said,"go see manager". A choice was given and need I say, I made the right choice. Great driving jobs are few and far between and if you do ever want to change driving jobs you start at the bottom (that includes pay). Remember this most drivers start at "X" and work up to "Z" in so many years ( be this hourly/mileage). Drivers' pay is NOT based on your knowledge/experience, if you think this is not true leave and find out. But the door may not be open for you to return. Now I will say this as others that know me very well, I give 100+ and normally do not even take lunch, so what about your 30 min. How long do you wait inline/door/load. Give a little and get some in return (they will do that for you). Yard time, it is impossible to do a PRE/POST inspetion in 15min. (refer to a thread on insp) or even better do it by the book and see how lomg it takes. Remember checking you papers/flipping placards/putting set together/checking fluids, etc is ALL part of pre/post insp. (ALL YARD TIME).So go ahead get your stop watch out and time yourself and watch who will be talking to you. All I can say is OLD DOMINION has made a PROMISE to me,you and the world and they plan to Stand On It. Well enough said, see you on the roar be SAFE and keep looking forward.