XPO | dot hours rule !

Credits
has anybody read the book and found out where it says you may run over 14 hours? i havnt i believe we our told to break the law ! nor does it say we can run up to 16 hours , my service center mgr couldnt find the place anywhere it says we our allowed to run 14 one day aweek ..as a road driver on normal road with out any adverse conditions

has anybody read the book and found out where it says you may run over 14 hours? i havnt i believe we our told to break the law ! nor does it say we can run up to 16 hours , my service center mgr couldnt find the place anywhere it says we our allowed to run 14 one day aweek ..as a road driver on normal road with out any adverse conditions
You mean 16 hours one time a 60 hr week? Isn't that for local drivers who work a 100 air mile.

As a road driver you can be on the clock for 16hrs once a week as long as you are not over your 60/70 hrs and are not over your 11 driving for that day. Also you have had to return to your home domicle for the last week every day. No lay downs anywhere but home.

As a road driver you can be on the clock for 16hrs once a week as long as you are not over your 60/70 hrs and are not over your 11 driving for that day. Also you have had to return to your home domicle for the last week every day. No lay downs anywhere but home.

"On the clock for 16"

JJ - Is that driving after your punch to punch, 14th hour in non-adverse conditions?

n.y.s. dot told me no driving after your 11 or 14th hr. unless you are a property carrying company, conway is not. Don't let these littleminds fool you!

"On the clock for 16"

JJ - Is that driving after your punch to punch, 14th hour in non-adverse conditions?

One day a week if you return every day to your home domilce for the last 7 days you can be on duty for 16 hrs. You can only drive 11 hrs regardless. And it has nothing to do with adverse conditions.

ok define property carrying company please.

Here is what I found, I guess it is Property carrying as opposed to passenger carrying?

B-3. Are drivers of passenger-carrying commercial motor vehicles (CMV) required to comply with the same HOS rule as property-carrying drivers?

No. Motorcoach operators and drivers will continue to operate under the HOS rules as specified in § 395.5

HOS Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

It says on there that we can extend our 14 hours to 16 hours twice a week.
:hide:

395.1(E)(2)(vi)(B)

"There is no requirement that the driver be released from duty at the end of the 14- or 16-hour duty periods. The driver may continue to perform non-driving duties, which would be counted against the 60/70 hour weekly limitation".

In my opinion, that means you can only work 60 hours in 7 days or 70 hours in 8 days by recapping your hours each day, PERIOD! If you do it legal then it will catch up with you going in to the next weeks work. At union companies the 34 hour restart is not allowed to be used because it wasn't put in the current contract. So, that part is a little different for union and non-union companies. If they keep you working just take off your hours and when you get 60/70 then go home and get some rest.

The 2 hour adverse weather and the 2 hour extension are two different things.

(b) Adverse driving conditions. (1) Except as provided in paragraph (h)(2) of this section, a driver who encounters adverse driving conditions, as defined in § 395.2, and cannot, because of those conditions, safely complete the run within the maximum driving time permitted by §§ 395.3(a) or 395.5(a) may drive and be permitted or required to drive a commercial motor vehicle for not more than 2 additional hours in order to complete that run or to reach a place offering safety for the occupants of the commercial motor vehicle and security for the commercial motor vehicle and its cargo. However, that driver may not drive or be permitted to drive-

(b)(1)(ii) After the end of the 14th hour since coming on duty following 10 consecutive hours off duty for drivers of property-carrying commercial motor vehicles;

E-4. May a driver utilize the adverse driving rule, which extends the driving time by two additional hours, in conjunction with the 16-hour exception?
No. A driver may not use the exception for adverse driving conditions while also using the 16-hour exception for property-carrying drivers. Section 395.1(b)(1)(ii) of the adverse driving conditions exception specifically states that a property-carrying driver may not drive or be permitted to drive after he/she has been on-duty after the end of the 14 th hour after coming on-duty following 10 consecutive hours off-duty.

Adverse driving conditions means snow, sleet, fog, other adverse weather conditions, a highway covered with snow or ice, or unusual road and traffic conditions, none of which were apparent on the basis of information known to the person dispatching the run at the time it was begun

Property-carrying driver. A property-carrying driver is exempt from the requirements of §395.3(a)(2) if:

(o)(1) The driver has returned to the driver's normal work reporting location and the carrier released the driver from duty at that location for the previous five duty tours the driver has worked;

(o)(2) The driver has returned to the normal work reporting location and the carrier releases the driver from duty within 16 hours after coming on duty following 10 consecutive hours off duty; and

(o)(3) The driver has not taken this exemption within the previous 6 consecutive days, except when the driver has begun a new 7- or 8- consecutive day period with the beginning of any off-duty period of 34 or more consecutive hours as allowed by §395.3(c).

C. SHORT-HAUL OPERATIONS

General Questions
C-1. What is a "short-haul" operation?

The HOS regulations do not specifically define or use the term "short haul" except as a caption for § 395.1(e), which includes requirements for drivers using the 100 air-mile radius exception and those covered by the "non-CDL, as defined in Part 383, 150 air-mile radius" provision

D. 14-HOUR DUTY PERIOD

D-1. May a driver be on duty for more than 14 consecutive hours?

Yes. A driver may remain on duty for more than 14 hours; however, the driver of a property-carrying CMV cannot drive after the 14th hour after coming on duty. Also, the additional on-duty time will be counted toward the 60/70-hour on-duty limit.

HOS Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

shphm1.jpg

Hours-of-Service Regulations - Effective October 1, 2005 - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Hey Brutus this is the way I understand the 16hr exception. I dont really agree with it. There are many gray areas. But because we start and finish at the same location that makes it ok........I run as many miles in a night as alot of otr drivers but its ok to work us 16hrs if we meet this criteria.......Safety First.

(o)(1) The driver has returned to the driver's normal work reporting location and the carrier released the driver from duty at that location for the previous five duty tours the driver has worked;

(o)(2) The driver has returned to the normal work reporting location and the carrier releases the driver from duty within 16 hours after coming on duty following 10 consecutive hours off duty; and

(o)(3) The driver has not taken this exemption within the previous 6 consecutive days, except when the driver has begun a new 7- or 8- consecutive day period with the beginning of any off-duty period of 34 or more consecutive hours as allowed by §395.3(c).